Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What exactly are reference lines used for? And should I be using them?

Zygen

I was just wondering this after finding out the assistance of this, (Yeah i'm slow sorry.) So i'm wondering what exactly the benefit is to using it?

And should I be using them? I mean I've never used them before, i've always done my "Art" by drawing the outline around everything, and then I color it in. I suppose it would be easy to put a reference line in the back or something with GIMP, but I don't really understand its purpose.

So anybody have some clarifications on it for me?

Let's say you make a super realistic fantacy landscape and then someone takes it and uses it for a video with out refrencing you as the artist and the person get's famous because of the art not the video, how would it feel?  So you end up suing them for all the credit they get for making something they didn't make, well the same thing could happen to you if you don't unfortunatly.

I'm pretty new to art programs, what are these reference lines and how do I use them? I can't seem to find anything about it on google.

what they mean is that if you use a (PONY BASE) which is the outliine already drawn up for you

that you can draw the same pony pose as the base your looking on to

So if you go onto DeviantART and look for a pose to use

and end up copying it all the way, then you need to credit your source

and basically say, so and so drew this base

• Brohoof 1

I'm confused, are we talking about using bases? Or reference lines (as in, circles and bisecting lines drawn to help align features)?

I'm sorry i didn't make it clear. I mean reference lines, as in circles and lines that are like under a picture and draw on pictures then erased later and are just kept for well reference?

For me, reference lines offer a place to start, and they keep me from messing up proportions too badly. That being said, i usually just use a circle for the head, and draw the rest normally. They are also very valuable when emulating another art style.

Some of the better artists i know use a lot of reference lines so I'm sure that they are very important in one way or another when making more complex pieces of art

Edited by MelancholicMemory
  • Brohoof 1

ok, I'll use visual aids to break this down and show what the difference is between

Visual lines, and a pony Base

ok, this is a pony base

This is also a VECTOR IMG

lots of folks trace over these (I don't)

post-10537-0-02070000-1355286521_thumb.png

but then you have Reference lines, and look onto your BASE to get the pose you want

So like this

post-10537-0-38306100-1355286613_thumb.jpg

SO i used a BASE i found on DA, I credit the artist when i finish saying, "got my base from Crappybases on DA

post-10537-0-78994600-1355286726_thumb.png

Hope that helps explain it better

• Brohoof 1

ok, I'll use visual aids to break this down and show what the difference is between

Visual lines, and a pony Base

ok, this is a pony base

This is also a VECTOR IMG

lots of folks trace over these (I don't)

attachicon.gifmlp_base__dancing_by_bases_4_bronies-d5jw25h.png

but then you have Reference lines, and look onto your BASE to get the pose you want

So like this

attachicon.gifkitsu firing.jpg

SO i used a BASE i found on DA, I credit the artist when i finish saying, "got my base from Crappybases on DA

attachicon.gifKitsu BR.png

Hope that helps explain it better

Oh ok.that makes sense. Except I'm still wondering what are the lines that people actually draw under their drawings then? I'm sorta wondering about those. I'm proably just using the wrong term's since I have no idea what anything is called :P.

Sorry for all the miscommunication.

are you talking kinda like this Lyra piece i did as an example?

the messy lines UNDER Lyra here are my sketch layers that I used

But i take them OFF once i get my LINE ART done, because I now have my lines

post-10537-0-09303100-1355287427_thumb.jpg

post-10537-0-98985300-1355287452_thumb.png

here is a Luna piece with the Line Art "INKed IN"

you no longer see the sketchy lines, because they are no longer needed

post-10537-0-95714800-1355287521_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

are you talking kinda like this Lyra piece i did as an example?

the messy lines UNDER Lyra here are my sketch layers that I used

But i take them OFF once i get my LINE ART done, because I now have my lines

attachicon.giflyra mess.jpg

attachicon.gifhappy pony lyra 2 ping.png

here is a Luna piece with the Line Art "INKed IN"

you no longer see the sketchy lines, because they are no longer needed

attachicon.gifLunar Princess 1a redo ping empty.png

Sorta. I mean I see the more of the time when drawing faces, but I see them on the body and legs to, like sometimes artists will draw a circle THEN draw the head around the circle, then erase the circle.

There also is alot of times where they draw all kinds of lines through the head.

You get what I'm saying?

I usually use reference lines. It helps keep anatomy accurate and proportions correct. I guess you don't have to, but like my art teacher always says, a piece of art is only as good as the foundation of it.

• Brohoof 2

Sorta. I mean I see the more of the time when drawing faces, but I see them on the body and legs to, like sometimes artists will draw a circle THEN draw the head around the circle, then erase the circle.

There also is alot of times where they draw all kinds of lines through the head.

You get what I'm saying?

I understand what you mean

the lines going through the circle are there so you can line up your EYES, NOSE, and MOUTH

and i general don't erase my sketch lines, I just go over them with my ink layer

and then i turn off the Sketch line layer later when i get my hardlines

Reference lines are possibly the most wonderful device an artist can use. Pretty much everyone who draws uses them because they break down figures into simple shapes that all join up to make what you want to draw, and they help keep all the features where they ought to go.

Use them, they are glorious.

• Brohoof 2

I understand what you mean

the lines going through the circle are there so you can line up your EYES, NOSE, and MOUTH

and i general don't erase my sketch lines, I just go over them with my ink layer

and then i turn off the Sketch line layer later when i get my hardlines

Oh ok, well how exactly do I know where to put them? Do they just go straight through the center parts of the circle or something? Or does it depend?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, i don't really have much of any actual art skills really. :P.(Crappy ones if any.)

It depends on the pose/figure you're drawing, and no prob, I wouldve LOVED if someone helped me when I first started xP

You've gotta learn basic anatomy for whatever you're drawing (reference lines are generally used for humans or animals) before you start, then I'm sure you'll get reference lines.

Trust me, the research makes your art 238470128% better. (:

• Brohoof 2

It depends on the pose/figure you're drawing, and no prob, I wouldve LOVED if someone helped me when I first started xP

You've gotta learn basic anatomy for whatever you're drawing (reference lines are generally used for humans or animals) before you start, then I'm sure you'll get reference lines.

Trust me, the research makes your art 238470128% better. (:

oh ok, so I can just research it then I'm assuming?

I'll try and look at some people drawing art of pony's on youtube to, just to get some pointers on what they do, maybe that'll help to.