Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria in Fallout: New Vegas

lardbobobo

So, this is going to sound very freaking strange, but lately I have been designing a mod for Fallout New Vegas that would add our favorite colorful and sugar filled pony land into the dark and desolate Mojave Wasteland. The kink to this one compared to other pony mods such as things like this and maybe some of this is that this mod is supposed to feel a little bit more like actual DLC and I've actually been hard at work trying to make this a little bit more lore friendly.

This entire idea originally started out as a joke where I was going to take the wild wasteland perk and add some stupid inside jokes that me and my friends use in there, then came the actual lets put things that people would actually recognize in there and then it somehow evolved into this and I'd prefer it to stay that way.

Despite the mod taking place in the Fallout universe, the overall art style and story are going to be nothing like the Fallout: Equestria fanfiction that many people love to death. Fallout: Equestria is a great read, but that tells the story of an already broken Equestria. In this mod, Equestria isn't broken yet and is easily comparable to the show, but the Couriers actions will really define what happens to Equestria and its inhabitants.

The mod itself will only be able to be accessed around half way through the game, once the player begins to actually become known throughout the wasteland. The player needs to find a Lincoln Road chip before the player can start the main quest. There are a few ways to get a hold of the chip, and the means to getting it depend on what the player has done so far in game.

Once the player obtains a chip, he or she can waltz over to the Lincoln Road memorial, which is a new area that this game will add, and has the option of putting the chip into the keyhole. Once the player does that, a secret underground passageway is revealed and leads to an area that's similar to a vault, but not exactly the same architecture. In the center of the area, there's a VR pod that's similar to the ones that Dr. Braun built in vault 112.

After the player enters the VR pod, the courier awakens in the Canterlot hospital where he  or she finds that none of her inventory is intact anymore and that Princess Celestia would like to meet with them.  Once you do, she welcomes you to Equestria and blah blah blah. If you mention the whole VR chamber thing, she will claim that she doesn’t have a clue but with a higher speech skill the player can squeeze more information out of her and get information regarding some paranormal events that have been happening lately. After the player talks with Celestia she shows the player the train and says to meet up with Twilight in Ponyville. This is when things start getting much more freeform.

Even though as of right now this sounds like just about every human in Equestria story ever, I’m trying to make it far from that. Most of the quests revolve around Twilight and Spike, and the overall story so far is not only about finding a way out of the place but about Twilight’s relationship with the Courier. I was working with someone else in terms of story and we were aiming for a kind of emotional ending assuming that the player plays the game like a civilized person. If the player wants to kill everything in their sight, which if the player has sided with Caesar one quest that this mod will add is to essentially destroy the whole place, they will hopefully feel like the murderous bastard that they’ve been throughout the whole game. Much like vanilla New Vegas itself, your actions matter and I am trying to write the ending in a way that will not only show what the player has done but also cause the player to pause and reflect on what he or she has done. Unlike the official DLC where there’s a slideshow at the end, this one won’t include a slideshow but rather will conclude with a conversation between you and the person responsible for the whole Equestria VR thing. That being said, I’m trying to find ways to incorporate what you do here into the endgame slideshow and your actions in the VR may grant you not only a new follower but a certain group of people helping you during the final battle at Hoover Dam.

As far as actual gameplay goes, I’m trying to make it play like your average fallout game would play, meaning that you will have more options than not. If the player wants to solve problems more like the show in that they usually talk things out rather than resorting to violence, they could do that assuming they have a good enough speech skill. If they want to solve problems without resorting to violence but don’t have a very good speech skill they could get creative with it and try to find alternate solutions. If they want to be violent and kill others then hey they can do that but Ponyville isn’t a very violent place so there will no doubt be a large negative applied to the player’s reputation. Of course, there are many moments where the game world essentially glitches out and sends the player and Twilight into a hellish Ponyville; here it is perfectly acceptable to be violent but there will always a nonviolent solution available which will have an effect on the story. The player’s stats will also play a huge effect in game, case in point a higher charisma will grant unique speech options when speaking to Rarity, high survival stats will grant different responses to AppleJack, and the animal friend perk will allow Fluttershy to accept the big and scary human more so as friendly than dangerous. There will also be certain perks that will affect the villains who, assuming this gets made, I don’t think I will reveal just yet.

As far as music, models, graphics, voice actors and so on go, I need help. That is why I’m posting this here, actually. What I want is your first impressions of the overall concept and if you think it has any good potential or not. This is a huge project, and while it can be done alone it will take a long time to achieve. I want to ask the project board on ponychan for help, but what I’ve seen is that if there is anything slightly wrong it could be torn to shreds and will never receive any help at all. This isn’t the case for everything, but I have seen it happen more than enough and I don’t want this to suffer the same fate. If you like it and want to help out, cool once I finalize the script I could actually get you to work, or I could let you help out with the script! If you just think it’s cool and want to see it completed please post something, because as of right now this is nothing more than a concept, and without approval I don’t think it will ever become a reality. If you think its a terrible idea, post as well!

-edit-

EDIT 1: I forgot to mention what happened to the guy who i was working on this with. He randomly decided to quit working on it and he hasn't been online since.

Edited by Lord Bababa