Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fimfiction might have been hacked

warfedale

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was hacking accounts. I have experience in hacking myself. It's not too hard. They probably made a program accessible to the group of people that are hacking.

In that case, it seems they only got ahold of the password hashes for every account. The admin is working on upgrading to a better encryption method so if this happens again, it will be very time comsuming to crack em. Assuming the current ones were pretty good, we might not have anything to worry about.

If the developers behind FiMFiction are at all intelligent then they wouldn't save your password in the database they would only save a hash value of your password. So that even if they were hacked, nobody could steal your password. Never mind they used weak hashes *sigh*

Wouldn't stop them from deleting your account if they wanted to, though.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was hacking accounts. I have experience in hacking myself. It's not too hard. They probably made a program accessible to the group of people that are hacking.

lol? You sound like a script kiddy.

Edited by Bohtty

If the developers behind FiMFiction are at all intelligent then they wouldn't save your password in the database they would only save a hash value of your password. So that even if they were hacked, nobody could steal your password. Never mind they used weak hashes *sigh*

Wouldn't stop them from deleting your account if they wanted to, though.

lol? You sound like a script kiddy.

I love your avatar.

Even if they are weak, they might not have the resources available to crack them. Hopefully nothing will come of this but only time will tell.

I love your avatar.

Even if they are weak, they might not have the resources available to crack them. Hopefully nothing will come of this but only time will tell.

Thank you and that is true. We don't know what method they used to create the hashes. I personally don't think anything will come of this.

1) While I doubt that this affects me in any way (i mostly read, as i can never get one of my stories past 3 chapters) but if you think about it this is can be seen as a good thing for fimfiction.net; mainly improving their security to combat this happening again.

2) @Bohtty i approve of that sig. i may have to borrow it later...

First off, if you read up on it, they said that it could have possibly leaked the code for your passwords. This code is decipherable but it's not easy to get your password out of the encryption code. I don't think there is anything to worry about, what could they even do if they hacked your fimfiction account? It's not like you store financial information on it.