Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejacks parents theory(new episode spoilers)

Anadu Kune

AJ's Parents  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think the stars meant?

• Her parents passed away.
    • Her parents are missing.
    • The stars just happened to be there.
    • She's making some sort of wish?

I didnt have a chance to read the entire thread to see if her parents are dead or not. but I think that her father died while her mother was still pregnant with Applejack, than her mother passed when Applejack was born due to complications or whatever.

I think thats one of the more likely stories. Since in one scene, we see a baby applejack under the table at a previous reunion.

but i really hope their just missing and not dead :( maybe in one episode down the road, we'll find out for sure, unless Lauren already said it

I didnt have a chance to read the entire thread to see if her parents are dead or not. but I think that her father died while her mother was still pregnant with Applejack, than her mother passed when Applejack was born due to complications or whatever.

I think thats one of the more likely stories. Since in one scene, we see a baby applejack under the table at a previous reunion.

Personally, it makes more sense to me from the way that Applejack seems to deal with it that her parents died while Applejack was around Applebloom's age. Plus, this opens up two of my favorite fan theories:

1. Applejack ran away from home to try to ignore and keep her parents' deaths off her mind.

2. Applejack's hat was passed down from her father, which is why she wears it all the time.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, it makes more sense to me from the way that Applejack seems to deal with it that her parents died while Applejack was around Applebloom's age. Plus, this opens up two of my favorite fan theories:

1. Applejack ran away from home to try to ignore and keep her parents' deaths off her mind.

2. Applejack's hat was passed down from her father, which is why she wears it all the time.

Personally, i think she was too young to know that her parents died. So i really dont think she knows, or maybe Granny smith and/or Big Mac eventually told her after Apple Bloom was born. I doubt they will tell us directly though :/

• Brohoof 1

Sibsy showed up in a livestream to confirm that AJ's parents are dead. Dead dead dead. Not missing: dead. That pretty much settles it.

Sad as that is, it gives a lot of new depth to AJ's character. It explains why she is the way she is now.

Hell, although this thought really depresses me, it might explain why Big Mac is the way he is too.

From my own point of view, Mrs. Faust tried to give vitality to the character by subtlety giving them a background story that could be deemed as inappropriate for kids from a general American television culture's point of view. From the back-story about what Mrs. Faust originally was planning and what went through, perhaps her attempt to make the series deeper than what Hasbro was going to allow may partially have impacted Mrs. Faust's decision to leave her own animation series.

I heard that Lauren Said that AJ's parents were suppose to be dead, but that she didnt want to mention it in the series because it would be to sad or something of that sort

Anyway that's what I heard and the discussions I've read makes the idea seem more reasonable.

Although sad, you have to admit it was pretty genius of Faust. It adds more personality, and overall depth, to AJ and Big Mac. It was also clever how she gave the most subtle hint, the stars, that the parents were dead. That way, the people who most noticed the absence of AJ's parents(bronies) would probably put two and two together, while the target demographic(7-ish year old girls) most likely didn't even notice.

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't probably have thought it meant her parents are dead, or referred to her parents at all for that matter, based on speculation alone, but with confirmation by one of the members of Studio B himself on Twitter, I now definitely fall into the "shooting stars symbolize AJ's parents passed away" camp, and frankly, that's pretty awesome...  :blink: wait... NOT the whole "her parents are dead" thing, that's awful, but, ya know, the whole Studio B is willing to even indicate that in the first place thing.  Great, now I feel like a terrible person.  I'm sorry AJ, AB, and Big Mac!!!!!!!!!  :(  :(  :(

Edited by Batbrony

I think this should put the debate to rest once and for all:

img-1020043-1-190778__safe_text_spoiler-

Frankly, and I know this is gonna sound rather mean-spirited but I assure you I don't mean it that way, I'm glad her parents are dead.

Wow thats awesome. Now I feel smarter than I actually am for thinking of it.:D Well I guess that's just a testament to how good the writers can be.

I kinda had a feeling they were dead for a long time (All the way since April), but after reading this article -----> http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/applejacks-parents-subtle-nod-in-episode.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EquestriaDaily+%28Equestria+Daily%29

yeah, it's pretty much confirmed they're dead :(.

I would love to see an episode that dwells on this topic more, since it would make for some nice and emotional scenes, plus more development on AJ's history, but unfortunately, the REAL target market, them being little kids, would make an episode like that impossible. If only an FiM movie would come out (I can always cross mah fingers). It could take more risks there on that subject :P.

Edited by spas-ticShotty
  • Brohoof 1

I thought it was handled well too.  Hasbro could've thrown out the concept of deceased parents and have mom and dad appear.  Instead, they stuck to a more realistic scenario where not everybody lives in a perfect nuclear family.  Death, divorce, and other sad events are a part of the real world.  Equestria may be a different world, and possibly a better world.  But it's not a perfect world either. 

They want to retain the kid friendly TV Y rating and I'm honestly not sure how much they can actually say about deceased loved ones.  Words like dead, death, and killed are strictly prohibited.  And I like the shooting stars too...very subtle.  Would it have been too unsubtle if AJ said "I wish you were still here" as they fell?

My dad died almost three years ago and I saw something even more amazing than shooting stars.  As I was on the plane flying to the funeral, I saw the most gorgeous thing:  A brilliant rainbow diffracted in the clouds beneath me.  I knew that my dad, who's health was waning in the last year or so, was now in a better place. 

• Brohoof 1

I would like to think that Applejack's parents have passed away to add a few more layers to the mare,

Sometimes Applejack is seen as the "bland one" the one with next to no personality, and I guess, when she is compared to the other Mane 6, this could be quite true. So adding some troubled times to her past and giving her a great background story would be a great idea, in my opinion and make her much more of an appealing character.

It would also explain a lot of Applejacks traits. She is well known for being very family centred and the Apple family are hugely important to her. Maybe (and I could be going off the lines here, I don't know) she wants to stay as close as possible to her family, in case something awful happens to them, just like what possibly happened with her parents.

AJ is also very close to Big Mac and especially Applebloom, much closer than other pony siblings it seems (eg. Rarity and Sweety Belle). Maybe AJ's two siblings are the only ones who are going through the similar pain she is feeling, so she feels comforted when at their side.

Carrying on with her closeness to Applebloom, AJ could be trying to fill the hole in Applebloom's life where her mother should be. Applejack certainly seems to be the motherly figure to Applebloom and cares for her just as much as any mother would.

• Brohoof 1

I wish they'd make an episode, in season 4, addressing it. Meaning, like the mane 6's parents meet eachother, but Granny Smith stands in for AJ's. Than maybe Twilight asks AJ, in private, what happened. Than AJ says something like "Ever wonder why Big Mac is usually quite?" BUT AJ doesnt directly say their dead, but maybe hinting at it.

every TV show/movie NEEDS a sad part/episode. its just a common situation or whatever that word is..

Point is, i hope they atleast show Rainbows and Fluttershys parents, since we've seen everyone elses.. even AJs, sorta

Here's a clip of the pertinent parts of the episode in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-k-v5iIjM

It also made me think...why do they keep focusing on that picture of the ponies in the American Gothic pose?  :huh:   Could they be Big Mac's, AJ's, and Apple Bloom's parents?  It's hard to see a maroon mare and a blue stallion producing offspring with such different colors.  But look at Pinkie Pie's family. 

FWIW, I've already seen a new piece of fanart on DA which shows foal AJ with a maroon mommy and a blue daddy.  :)

(Don't know if this link has been posted yet. Sorry if it has, I haven't read through all the pages).

Equestria Daily: Applejack's Parents - Subtle Nod in the Episode

"(Update from JJ's Stream, apparently AJ's parents really are officially confirmed dead.  Lauren actually mentioned wanting that to be the case.)"

Edited by AustralianFries
  • Brohoof 1