Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejacks parents theory(new episode spoilers)

Anadu Kune

AJ's Parents  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think the stars meant?

• Her parents passed away.
    • Her parents are missing.
    • The stars just happened to be there.
    • She's making some sort of wish?

So in the new episode Applejack's parents do not show up to the family reunion which is stated that everyone is at. However a point is made in the episode to show two shooting stars at the begging and end of the episode. Could those shooting stars represent her parents who have now passed on? Maybe Im reading too much into this. 

• Brohoof 11

That seems to be the case if you look at the actual episode discussion page. On a similar note, that picture on the wall in their house with 2 ponies on it (shown just before the stars are seen the first time). That ever been seen before? Possible parent portrait? Probably not but *shrug*

So in the new episode Applejack's parents do not show up to the family reunion which is stated that everyone is at. However a point is made in the episode to show two shooting stars at the begging and end of the episode. Could those shooting stars represent her parents who have now passed on? Maybe Im reading too much into this. 

When you're on MLPForums, there's no such thing as "reading too much into one thing". Gotta shake that off, man.

In response to your question though, it's a pretty sound theory. Equestria is already known to harbour the most insane/spectacular things related to magic, and shooting stars representing spirits doesn't sound incredulous at all. To put out a reference, Nightmare Moon's escape was apparently aided by the stars... somehow, from our silly human perspectives it doesn't make sense at all - how could stars aid a ruler of the night in her glorious escape from her place of imprisonment, ironically the one thing she had control over? When you have something called magic and the will to get out of something, of course!

It can be said that Applejack has gotten over any feelings of grief that she might have experienced if her parents are actually dead and this isn't the case of the producers just not introducing them at all, but it's understandable to know that AJ worked her flank off into making what she believed to be one hell of a family reunion. Though, it doesn't seem like the show to intentionally put in deceased relatives in one of the mane six, but way the episode went today can tell you otherwise. It's ambigious at best - the folks at the reunion can indicate the former while on the other hoof, AJ's parents may simply be out of Equestria. Not as dead spirits, but travelling around the world in order to expand the Apple Family business. Perhaps they are travellers so it isn't simple as just picking up the phone and asking them how they're doing. Businesses as prominent and popular as Sweet Apple Acres have to expand worldwide one day, but in order to do that, they have to send ponies on a quest to do just that. That means going away for a while and attempting to do whatever it is that they're told to do. To make another reference, the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club didn't just become worldwide and notorious in one day - they took it one step at a time, and over time, they did become popular and made a name for themselves. Eventually, they had become so well-known that they started operating internationally, just because they were so prominent. They weren't just some biker gang that liked to ride bikes - that was already set in stone. What they were was a family, and they were so tight with one another that people found it to be highly respectable and wanted to experience that sort of thing for themselves. What do you have in the end? People proud to call themselves a Hells Angel, not unlike any member of the Apple Family being proud to be part of the family business.

• Brohoof 7

The plot subtlety suggests that her parents are deceased in a present time. I believe Mrs. Faust have said that such element is never going to be mentioned explicitly within the show because Hasbro deems them as inappropriate.

• Brohoof 1

I noticed the shooting stars too. Now that you have attached that interpretation to them, it makes perfect sense.

Nice!

It won't happen, but it would be crazy amazing if that becomes part of later plot, such as the classic "you killed my parents" situation with a future villain.

Applejack would have such a following after that, as this may explain her life outlook/the rational, almost unemotional, way she acts. Obviously if her parents died without foul-play it still has the same impact, but still from a dramatic standpoint it would be great.

• Brohoof 2

I noticed the two shooting stars, but think of that till I read this. I think it was her parents or just stars representing her parents. But if her parents are dead, why isn't Granny Smith dead yet? Isn't Granny Smith older than her parents? Do you think that maybe her parents got an accident or something?  :huh:

You aren't reading too much into this, considering how far Daniel Ingram is willing to go to hide a joke. (See: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/04/day-arias-hidden-meaning.html)

So the artists could have very well put symbolic meaning behind the two shooting stars.

Somepony said the princesses could have been her parents a little higher up in this thread, and I'm just going to say that THAT is looking too deep into it. Nopony is related by blood to Celestia or Luna, except maybe Cadence, who they haven't actually released and explanation for yet.

• Brohoof 1

If the shooting stars really did mean the reference to the parents, I think the writers are starting to make a lot of open endings for us now. First, it was the care package in "Wonderbolt Academy", now it's this. I really love these endings. It reminds me of Pulp Fiction, like how whatever was inside the briefcase was never revealed. I love mysteries like that!

I can defiantly believe that the shooting stars did refer to the presumably deceased parents. The writers seem to love putting these mysteries in here, and they're fucking amazing. Even more reasons for me to declare Season 3 the best season, even before it ends!

• Brohoof 1

You aren't reading too much into this, considering how far Daniel Ingram is willing to go to hide a joke. (See: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/04/day-arias-hidden-meaning.html)

So the artists could have very well put symbolic meaning behind the two shooting stars.

Somepony said the princesses could have been her parents a little higher up in this thread, and I'm just going to say that THAT is looking too deep into it. Nopony is related by blood to Celestia or Luna, except maybe Cadence, who they haven't actually released and explanation for yet.

Wow thats some crazy music lingo that flies straight over my head! Im a visual type of person I could never quite  grasp how to write music and the like. Wow that's crazy. I never knew that. 

Everypony's who's watched the newest episode remembers this scene, right? 

post-1234-0-61014700-1356221620_thumb.pn

Two shooting stars appear here. Everypony's saying that this means her parents are dead. What do you think these stars?

I think the same but there's the possibility they're missing.  :huh:

It can be said that Applejack has gotten over any feelings of grief that she might have experienced if her parents are actually dead and this isn't the case of the producers just not introducing them at all, but it's understandable to know that AJ worked her flank off into making what she believed to be one hell of a family reunion.

It is called rump or a plot, not a flank. Yep. Indeed I am correcting that. AJ worked her rump off. AJ worked her flank off and pressured the extended Apple family into an ideal successful reunion.

well..... it was a familiy reunion, with all the family suppose to be there so the fact that her parents never made an apperance obviously points to that factor, however they can't rely point directly to that because its a show for little girls too.

so yeah the shooting stars were a possible nod to that truth but neither mother or farther was mention ever......ever.

• Brohoof 3

They've become one with Celestia. An eternal respite in her winged embrace. Just kidding they are two meaningless skeletons rotting in a pit near their outhouse. Merry Christmas.

• Brohoof 2

I think this should put the debate to rest once and for all:

img-1020043-1-190778__safe_text_spoiler-

Frankly, and I know this is gonna sound rather mean-spirited but I assure you I don't mean it that way, I'm glad her parents are dead.

I agree with you. While it is sad knowing her parents are dead, it adds a certain level of depth to her character in a way. It was Lauren Faust's intention in the beginning to have Applejack lose her parents, they just never touched on the subject because it wasn't considered "kid friendly". I was worried they would side step the issue and have her parents in this episode.

I'm glad they stuck with the original idea. And they pulled it off perfectly.

• Brohoof 2

I think her parents are dead, I mean if they didn't show up the Apple family reunion then that means that chances are they're probably dead.

The shooting star further hints at this and the fact that it was actually stated by staff means that well its true.

So yeah pretty sure her parents are dead.

• Brohoof 1

I think they're dead. I mean what kind of parents don't show up to a reunion. Also did anyone also check the scrapbook Granny Smith was holding. When you look at the part where the family picture was getting constantly bigger you notice from one spot to another Applejack, Big Mac and Applebloom all of a sudden come up in the latest picture without any of the parents in the previous pictures.

My guess is they're all adopted or something......Yep....AJ is adopted.

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~

As much as it makes me sad to think of one of our beloved ponies actually having lost their parents... it makes a lot of sense. It would certainly seem to fit with Applejack's psychological makeup... heck it even makes me wonder about Big Mac and his shyness. The one least traumatized is Applebloom who was likely too young to remember them. More so it makes the last episode better IMO if thats really what the writers were trying to hint at.

• Brohoof 1