Is AJ getting too much screen time?

LittleSis

She was IMO getting too little screen time in seasons 1 and 2 and this is just making up for the lost time.  I honestly think there are too many Spike episodes this season, but that's just me.  I'm perfectly fine letting her take the spotlight.

Soundcloud-------------------Facebook---------------------------Youtube

Simply put, it makes up for the total lack of screen time she got last season. Looking back, the only episode she got last season was The Last Roundup, and even then everyone was raving about Derpy's speaking role that AJ was forgotten. The screentime she's getting now I much appreciate. That pony has some good values to give the show.

Are you forgetting "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"? Applejack was basically the main focus of that, along with her relatives.

I feel like I've stepped into some bizarro world where people complain about Applejack getting too much screen time.  Next thing you know, people will be talking about how they loved the changes to Derpy in The Last Roundup, or how King Sombra was such a fascinating, charismatic villain. 

Really I think that there have been very few truly Applejack focused episodes where she really is the main character.  A lot of the ones that come to mind like Over a Barrel, The Last Roundup, and the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 really divide up the focus of the episode more than you'd think.  In fact, I'd say that Apple Family Reunion is the first truly AJ focused episode since Applebuck Season. 

img-1630605-3-sig_for_hawkflame_by_maggi

Sig by Thunderstorm

Check out my Rarity fansite!

So let me get this straight... People complain when Applejack doesn't get enough screen time. Hasbro (presumably) listens and gives her more screen time. Now people are complaining that she's getting too much screen time. Don't be like the Sonic fanbase, people. Don't be unpleasable, nitpicking eviltons. 

• Brohoof 2

how even is otter and how can it be if

Oh HO. I can't imagine the words "Applejack" and "too much screentime" being compatible. At all.

It's really sort of disappointing. I recognize those who have agreed with the OP as not quite liking Applejack as much as others and let that tarnish their opinions.

I don't remember a single instant when people complain about Twilight getting too much screentime in the entire Season 1. Nope.

Why complain about Applejack?

Simple, people don't like her, and don't want to see her face on the screen so often. Really shaking my head here, guys.

Let's get something straightened here, shall we?

Season one. She had Applebuck Season...and yep. That's about it. Not counting the episodes where she co-stars/or barely played a part (like Over a Barrel).

Season two. The Last Roundup. We all know what happened there--Hasbro got a crappy Rainbow Dash recolor, overrated background pony and shoved her face where she doesn't belong. No, I'm not saying that Derpy doesn't belong in the show because she's offensive, but saying that she does not belong in an episode where Applejack stars. 

By the way, to the people who are offended by what I just said, it's called an opinion.

Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000. Many of you claim that it's an AJ episode. It is not. It's an episode centered on the entire family, and didn't actually give much development to the supposed star. This proves everything:

So lookit here, she had about two episodes to herself, and three at most. And yet you STILL complain about her getting "too much" screentime? Are you serious? Honestly. 

Let's even analyze Season 3. 

Apple Family Reunion. Again. Same as the Cider episode. It. Was. An. Apple. Family. Episode. The thing that differed was that Applejack got good character development, for once, might I add, and so we should count it as a good Applejack-centered episode.

Spike at Your Service. Dammit, guys. This is Spike's episode and Spike's only. Even before the episode, a couple of others were complaining about AJ getting two episodes. That's absolute bullcrap--sometimes I feel more sympathy for Spike than AJ because he's more constantly forgotten/hated. I don't hear anyone complaining about SPIKE getting too little screentime.

Rainbow Dash has also gotten two episodes where she has a prominent role. I never, EVER, heard anyone complain about that. I've seen numerous complaints about Applejack being in two episodes having a prominent role. I don't get it--bias?

One Bad Apple--Big role? Nope. She's Apple Bloom's sister, and if she's the only mane six to speak/appear in front of the camera, then so what? She didn't do anything important.

Now I speak to you, OP, directly to you. You try and cram in as much as possible to make Applejack seem to have a lot of screentime. I find this rather wrong--3 and a 1/2? That's ridiculous--and I've proved above that she most certainly does not even have two episodes, let alone a three and...a half?

We have a ton of stuff about AJ and the whole Apple family

"A ton." Do you mean "a ton" as in two episodes?

I want background on Fluttershy

This I agree with, but seriously, no other pony had any background except for Twilight. And don't you dare mention Applejack. For the hundredth time, having more relatives =/= more character background.

I want an episode with Rarity and her dressmaking

I WANT PINKIE PIE'S PARTY CANNON!!!

I can't believe this--you complain that Applejack and her family were shown "a ton." In comparison to Rarity and her occupation and Pinkie's party cannon, that's a minuscule amount. 

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous??

Certainly not. There's plenty of people who dislike her and wish her not to show up in front of the camera EVER again. Didn't you hear the background pony jokes? The Lyra replacement? The "who?" every time Applejack is mentioned? "Who is this Applejack?" "lelel, aj shuldnt b in teh mane 6." Et cetera. The list goes on and on.

And why would people create those jokes in the first place? That's right, because she gets little-to-no screentime in Seasons 1 and 2. 

Now she gets a lot of screentime in Season 3. Hasbro answered our call. Now there's complaints. And still the background pony jokes remain. It's quite ridiculous, frankly.

I can go on and on, but I'm not sure what use that would be. Dislikers of AJ would remain. What am I even ranting about?

Edited by Clarity
  • Brohoof 7

I don't remember a single instant when people complain about Twilight getting too much screentime in the entire Season 1. Nope.

I actually kind of did... But that's beside the point.

I couldn't agree more with the rest of what you said though, and I'm glad that you finally jumped in to voice just how silly this is.

• Brohoof 2

Of course Twilight had a lot of screentime in season 1, she was the main character of the show. Derp.

Obviously the focus is gonna mainly be on Twilight.

gc21Knt.png

post-6560-0-99039400-1345520774_thumb.jpg

"Gosh, I didn't know that the fan base prefered everypony else to me."

People for some reason just get bored with AppleJack.  :/     Couldn't tell you why.

Actually... I always considered AJ to be second in line for main character... (Probably because of the sequence in which Twilight meets the other five in Ep 1.)

Edited by John

Of course Twilight had a lot of screentime in season 1, she was the main character of the show. Derp.

I take it you don't consider Applejack to be anywhere near "main character," so she shouldn't even have the camera focused on her for thirteen episodes, compared to Twilight's twenty-six. 

I take it you don't consider Applejack to be anywhere near "main character," so she shouldn't even have the camera focused on her for thirteen episodes, compared to Twilight's twenty-six. 

In season 1, Twilight was obviously the main character.

In seasons 2 and 3, all of the mane 6 are main characters. That includes AJ.

• Brohoof 1

gc21Knt.png

In seasons 2 and 3, all of the mane 6 are main characters. That includes AJ.

Exactly. So don't you think that a main character should be...I dunno...more involved in Season 2? That's why I wholeheartedly believe that Applejack deserved all her screentime in S3.

• Brohoof 1

No, i don't think Applejack is getting to much "Screentime" I truly think she deserves it as she hasn't been that much in the spotlight before. Though i would hope that there are more Rarity or Twilight Episodes  :lol:

SadnessSignature.png
This Amazing Signature Made By Miss Cloud Chaser. Judge my English and get Hell all brought over ya!

Applejack's getting alot of screentime because she didn't get very much at all in Season 2. The writers are just playing catch-up with her because she's been lacking character development...

It could also be because they've been intentionally leaving Twilight out of the limelight for Season 3 for whatever reason. Twilight's only episode for Season 3 was Magic Duel, as all the Mane 6 got alot of screentime in The Crystal Empire. I wonder what those writers are up to...

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/viny1-scratch

DeviantART: http://twinhead-b.deviantart.com/

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Viny1 Scratch

PSN: Booossh

Steam: twinheadb

Applejack's getting alot of screentime because she didn't get very much at all in Season 2. The writers are just playing catch-up with her because she's been lacking character development...

It could also be because they've been intentionally leaving Twilight out of the limelight for Season 3 for whatever reason. Twilight's only episode for Season 3 was Magic Duel, as all the Mane 6 got alot of screentime in The Crystal Empire. I wonder what those writers are up to...

Really?  Twilight's presence in The Crystal Empire was dominant, as she was the one driving the main plot forward, while the others were basically the distractions.  Plus both the dialog in the scenes with Celestia and Luna (and some of the Hub promos this year) make it clear that they're setting up for something *huge* for Twilight this season.

img-1630605-3-sig_for_hawkflame_by_maggi

Sig by Thunderstorm

Check out my Rarity fansite!

Really?  Twilight's presence in The Crystal Empire was dominant, as she was the one driving the main plot forward, while the others were basically the distractions.  Plus both the dialog in the scenes with Celestia and Luna (and some of the Hub promos this year) make it clear that they're setting up for something *huge* for Twilight this season.

It's obvious they have something planned for Twilight, that's why I attributed AJ's increased screentime to Twilight's decreased screentime. In Season 1, Twilight seemed to be in just about every episode, just popping in for the sake of popping in, but in Season 3 we've had multiple episodes in a row where Twilight isn't even mentioned (or is, but plays a very insignificant part in the plot).

I guess we'll have to wait until the finale to find out exactly what...

inb4alicorntwilightrumors

oooohhhh an episode of Fluttershy background does sound quite interesting! And the Pinkie Pie party canon would always be great... but then again I may be biased on these two. 

While as you pointed out she is getting a lot, I haven't started to feel as though it's too much -yet- but we will see as the season goes on. They did what I thought were GREAT episodes centered around 3 of the mane 6 + the cutie mark crusaders. So hopefully before the seasons end they will have equally awesome episodes that will focus solely on the ones that have yet to get one.. so that in season 3 they all had 1 really good spotlight show. What more could I ask than that? ;)

I think all of AppleJack's attention is well deserved. She NEVER gets screen time and all the limelight. She's appart of the Mane 6 as well and while Rarity is my favorite pony, AppleJack's attention she is receiving right now is sorely needed. I feel as though poor AppleJack gets kind of ignored so good for her. :)

876bc244.png

Signature Courtesy of

Like A Boss

I don't think anyone is saying that AJ doesn't deserve the screen time. She does. I think AJ is a great character and very integral. However, I do believe those pointing out she is often the focus (not so much season two) is a legit statement. It's nothing against AJ, but she by far has the most episodes of the mane 5 (not including Twilight). They're simply spaced out after season one where she dominated. I feel like I must be watching a different show, because the one I've been watching since 2010 has had more than enough AJ (and that's not a bad thing). But go on with your bad selves.  :mellow:

OXM8HNP.jpg

lolwat

First, everyone bitched and BAAWed that Applejack wasn't getting enough screen time.

Now, people are bitching and BAAWing about Applejack getting too much screen time?

Like someone else somewhere in this thread had said, can y'all just make up your bloody minds already? icon_facepalm.gif

AJ as far as I'm aware has only NOT shown up in around three or four episodes...although in some she just appears in the background.

Compare this to the others, I'd say AJ must be feeling the love. Perhaps Faust & Co think that she is everyone's favourite pone, so have decided to try and please the fanbase by adding her into pretty much everything :D

I know for certain she's been in every episode of S3.

But is there really such a thing as 'too much' time? Sure, I've mentioned her appearing in a lot of episodes, but most of them weren't even episodes where she was the key character. I would personally be delighted to see every pony, every episode, with it alternating between who was considered the 'focus' of that episode ^-^

Just my twopennoth, there :)

First it was not enough screen time, now it's too much screen time. I'm not really affected by this, as long as the episodes are entertaining.

• Brohoof 1

VHerT66.png

Well, why don't we ask the young mare herself?  Oh AJ, do you think you're getting too much screen time this season?  :)

Well, there you have it folks!  B)

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 4

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

As stated by many others earlier in this thread, first everyone complains she doesn't get enough, and now she gets too much. :\

Don't complain about any one pony getting too much screen time. Complain about the others not getting more. And what qualifies as screen time for you? Just being there, visible, or having some lines as well?

• Brohoof 3

sig-6104.5e1fEdB.png

Kyoshi made this ^^

Come join us on

Equestria.tv on Fridays at 6 PM Eastern for our weekly movie nights!

Out of the mane six, Applejack has gotten the least amount of episodes geared toward her. Twilight has definitely gotten more episodes overall. So, no, Applejack deserves this attention. 

That's because Twilight is the main character. I know we've all become accustomed to the Mane 6 all being considered equals, but at the end of the day, the show is about Twilight (or at least was about Twilight). It kinda explains why Twilight has been in 55 out of the 61 episodes so far, and has played an important part in almost every one.

Though, if you go by appearances in episodes alone, Applejack has been in more episodes than any of the other characters in the entire show (safe for Princess Celestia who is at least mentioned in every episode but two.

Read it and weep fillies and gentlecolts, the stats don't lie:

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Character_appearances

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 1