Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is AJ getting too much screen time?

LittleSis

Looking back on Season 3, in comparison with the other Mane 6, Applejack has gotten a ton--I mean a TON of screen time. And a song! (a damn good song, I may add) But seriously, look at this:

Only naming Mane 6 characters being focused on

Episode 1+2: Crystal Empire--all of the Mane 6, focus on Twilight

Episode 3: Too many Pinkie Pies--Pinkie Pie

Episode 4: One Bad Apple--Applejack is the only Mane 6 with a big part

Episode 5: Magic Duel--Twilight

Episode 6: Sleepless in Ponyville--Mostly Dash (we can count Rarity and AJ as a half)

Episode 7: Wonderbolts Academy--Rainbow Dash

Episode 8: Apple Family Reunion--only Applejack (PLUS she gets a song)

Episode 9: Spike at Your Service--Applejack

So, to recap: Twilight 2, Pinkie 1, Dash 2, Rarity 1/2, Fluttershy 0 (*sadness*), AJ 3 1/2

Applejack is getting more screen time than Twilight Sparkle. Rarity and Fluttershy have had no episodes about them. Does anyone else think this is unfair? We have a ton of stuff about AJ and the whole Apple family. I want background on Fluttershy, I want an episode with Rarity and her dressmaking, I WANT PINKIE PIE'S PARTY CANNON!!! Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous??

Absolutely not, she is not in my top for the mane 6 but she deserves the spotlight. Applejack is one of those characters who treats the limelight so well that she never abuses it or makes it seem forced. I am happy, I got "Wonderbolt Academy" My inner Dashie love is satisfied, AJ can have the rest of the season for all I care <3

• Brohoof 4

In my opinion, AJ is not getting too much screen time at all I'm pretty sure. Applejack is one of the loyal ponies in the Mane 6, and I think she needs more screen time but, Rarity needs screen time too. She will obviously not abuse her screen time at all, Rainbow Dash might be my favorite pony but, AJ needs some love too so does Rarity. :P

img-1060588-1-Sad-Oh-No-meme-rage-face.p

DON'T LET @Clarity (or ) SEE THIS TOPIC!

Seriously though, Applejack deserves more screen time, just like how Pinkeh deserves more songs. Applejack has always gotten the least amount of attention. Derpy's gotten more attention than Appleajack, and that's bullcrap. I like Applejack. She's my second favorite pony, and I feel she has been screwed in Season 1 and Season 2. I'm glad she's getting more attention.

Fluttershy got LOTS of attention in Seasons 1 and 2, and she's getting an episode next week, so there's no reason to complain about her. Season 3 still has plenty of time left, I'm sure that Rarity will have her episode soon enough.

...NOW IF ONLY PINKEH COULD SING MORE, WE'D BE IN BUSINESS!

Edited by Urdnot Pinkie Pie
  • Brohoof 14

Hold on. Did you just use the words "AJ" and "too much screen time" in the same sentence? Applejack fangirl mode, activate! 

Season 1 was heavy on the Twilight Sparkle, heavier than Applejack is this season. Granted, it was spread out across more episodes, but with a few exceptions where she was just shoehorned in, she played a role in the plot of every single one.

Applejack has technically gotten a lot of screen time in the past, but before, if the episode wasn't focused on her, she didn't play a big part. What I see happening here is that Applejack is simply getting a role proportional to ponies such as Rarity. There's plenty of episodes not centered solely on Rarity where she plays a big part. Sonic Rainboom. Secret Of My Excess. Putting Your Hoof Down. Applejack before this season had all or nothing screen time. It's nice to see her be number 2 or 3 in a episode, instead of either number 1 or number 6. 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 11

Simply put, it makes up for the total lack of screen time she got last season. Looking back, the only episode she got last season was The Last Roundup, and even then everyone was raving about Derpy's speaking role that AJ was forgotten. The screentime she's getting now I much appreciate. That pony has some good values to give the show.

• Brohoof 5

This is quite a switch up from the usual "Applejack is best background pony"  and "why is there never any AJ?" topics and jokes that we see (or rather used to see). I think this is basically making up for the lack of AJ episodes in the other two seasons, so I have no problems with her having a few. I do agree with the people who say Rarity should get atleast one episode this season tho, but that is a tale for a different day.

Edited by Lando
  • Brohoof 1

No, Applejack deserves some extra screen time to make up for the lack of attention she suffered earlier. She could definitely use it.

Also, I'm looking forward to some certain members' responses.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah I don't think Applejack is getting that much attention that it is annoying. I mean we only have about half the episodes of this season so far, so it is hard to say at this point. Now if she gets another three that could be slightly annoying. But AJ is my second favorite after Fluttershy so it isn't to bad for me.

Applejack has gotten shorted in the past. As for this season, they really should do at least 1 episode where fluttershy has a main part. --> NEXT EPISODE: Keep Calm and Flutter On --> On track to hit each character with an episode.

I think their doing a reasonable job of spreading out the screen time. The biggest problem is that this season is so short.

Simply put, it makes up for the total lack of screen time she got last season. Looking back, the only episode she got last season was The Last Roundup, and even then everyone was raving about Derpy's speaking role that AJ was forgotten. The screentime she's getting now I much appreciate. That pony has some good values to give the show.

I completely agree with your post, except for one tiny thing. Does this ring any bells?

vector__aj_didn__t_learn_a_thing_by_kati

I guess it reinforces the point though that even one of her own episodes was forgotten!

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

Nah, she was relatively neglected with regards to development in the past couple of seasons so it's only fair that they make up for it now. They seem to be doing a similar thing with Spike and Scootaloo, so maybe this is the underused character season or something. I love Applejack so it's good to see her getting some of the spotlight now.

I wouldn't hate it if next season tried to divide up the screentime equally though (Including Twilight's).

I completely agree with your post, except for one tiny thing. Does this ring any bells?

I guess it reinforces the point though that even one of her own episodes was forgotten!

It would be a VERY big stretch to say that was a central Applejack episode. Just as much of the episode focused on Flim and Flam, and a bit on Rainbow. Given, she did write the letter at the end, but I still think that's a half episode.

• Brohoof 2

What!? Hath thou spoken thine unholy words? Prepared to be smited by the might of the armies of AJ!

Ahem. All jokes aside the big time AJ fans(Cough clarity cough) shall be on you soon enough :D.

However i don't think AJ is getting to much screentime really. I mean she didn't really get much of any important roles in the other seasons. The funny thing is that actually overalll in S1 And S2 she got a pretty big chunk of screentime(I think she may have had more then Fluttershy.) However, she didn't play much of a role in any of the times she had screentime, she was just.. there.

So I think she does deserve a bit of time in the spotlight, now if she gets super focused with the spotlight for the rest of the show... well I can say she might be getting a bit to much.

Its not really that much about screentime, its more about how important her role is, or if shes basically just a background pony who shows up alot.

I am missing my dear Fluttershy a bit, but hopefully the next episode shall sate my thirst :D.

• Brohoof 1

No, Applejack deserves some extra screen time to make up for the lack of attention she suffered earlier. She could definitely use it.

Also, I'm looking forward to some certain members' responses.

Like me and/or Clari?

img-1060588-1-Sad-Oh-No-meme-rage-face.p

DON'T LET @Clarity SEE THIS TOPIC!

Seriously though, Applejack deserves more screen time, just like how Pinkeh deserves more songs. Applejack has always gotten the least amount of attention. Derpy's gotten more attention than Appleajack, and that's bullcrap. I like Applejack. She's my second favorite pony, and I feel she has been screwed in Season 1 and Season 2. I'm glad she's getting more attention.

Fluttershy got LOTS of attention in Seasons 1 and 2, and she's getting an episode next week, so there's no reason to complain about her. Season 3 still has plenty of time left, I'm sure that Rarity will have her episode soon enough.

...NOW IF ONLY PINKEH COULD SING MORE, WE'D BE IN BUSINESS!

Dammit dude, you forgot about me <_<.

Anyways, she ain't at all. She got so little attention in the previous season(s) that she needs a lot of it (And she's gotten a good amount, I must say. I is satisfied :))

• Brohoof 6

Yeah this is a good example of how she didn't have a big role even in alot of her episodes. Therefore she is almost not remembered. Like In last roundup where she is technically the focus of the episode, but all the other things happening with her not being really that important or alot of times interesting (Derpy distraction to strong :P.) means she just doesn't feel like she got any spotlight, even in her own episode.

In Super squeezy cider 6000 she honestly doesn't get much attention either, shes just kinda there.. making apple cider, and selling apple cider. Then she writes her troll letter to celestia and we're done, I think the Flim flam brothers got more spotlight in that episode then she did.

All of this reinforces how I think she wasn't exactly lacking screentime, she was just lacking a major role.

• Brohoof 1

...Call me a dirty scoundrel and paranoid... but knowing how little screen time AJ got in the last two seasons.... it seems to me as if this thread might be a joke. Just saying, I'm probably wrong though...

Anyways, it's good seein ole' AJ get more screen time, there's nothing wrong with the girl, and she needs more chances to build up and develop her character. 

• Brohoof 1

I think she deserves it really. Well Fluttershy is pretty much set to be in the next episode she did have quite alot of screentime in season 2 so for now her screentime got reduced.

All in all im sure the numbers will be more even by the end of season 3 its only half over you know.lets not count the chickens before they hatch

Wow, what a reaction! This is funny because from my experience, people aren't super fond of AJ (I, myself, included) but suddenly you all managed to find this. I commend each and every one of you.

I understand everypony's point that AJ didn't get as much time as you would have liked in previous seasons. However, is it fair that all of her episodes to makeup for lost time suddenly be thrown into season 3? What about the other 5 ponies who also deserve some screentime? I am very happy that Fluttershy is *finally* getting an episode. But, seriously it's the 10th episode. For 6 ponies, in 10 episodes, it shouldn't be too hard to fit her and Rarity in there somewhere.

Then again, we do have the rest of the season (not that there's too much left *more sadness*). I guess I'm hoping to see episodes focused on one pony spread out a bit more. Add a little variety for the folks who aren't so in love with a certain character.

Looking back on Season 3, in comparison with the other Mane 6, Applejack has gotten a ton--I mean a TON of screen time. And a song! (a damn good song, I may add) But seriously, look at this:

Only naming Mane 6 characters being focused on

Episode 1+2: Crystal Empire--all of the Mane 6, focus on Twilight

Episode 3: Too many Pinkie Pies--Pinkie Pie

Episode 4: One Bad Apple--Applejack is the only Mane 6 with a big part

Episode 5: Magic Duel--Twilight

Episode 6: Sleepless in Ponyville--Mostly Dash (we can count Rarity and AJ as a half)

Episode 7: Wonderbolts Academy--Rainbow Dash

Episode 8: Apple Family Reunion--only Applejack (PLUS she gets a song)

Episode 9: Spike at Your Service--Applejack

So, to recap: Twilight 2, Pinkie 1, Dash 2, Rarity 1/2, Fluttershy 0 (*sadness*), AJ 3 1/2

Applejack is getting more screen time than Twilight Sparkle. Rarity and Fluttershy have had no episodes about them. Does anyone else think this is unfair? We have a ton of stuff about AJ and the whole Apple family. I want background on Fluttershy, I want an episode with Rarity and her dressmaking, I WANT PINKIE PIE'S PARTY CANNON!!! Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous??

Actually you counted wrong. You can't lump episodes one and two as the same. They are still separate. So really is Twilight Sparkle 3. I don't think giving AJ half credit for a CMC episode is fair. I mean everyone I have heard says thats not a Mane 6 episode but a CMC one, which I agree. I think AJ deserves the spot lot. she handles it well and frankly, its long over due. She is best pony after all.... 

• Brohoof 1

I was under the impression that, by the end of the first two seasons, people were starting to think of AJ as a side character, dunno if it's true or not, but that was just my impression; well, that's unfair to begin with, I mean she's part of the mane 6; no pony who is part of the mane 6 is a side character, fact! therefore, in my view, it's great that the 3rd season's start focuses more on AJ; well, that and the fact that she's my fave pony XD

Edited by Delzepp

I think she is getting a good amount of screen time. It just seems overexposer could be because of the just how short the season is compared to the previous 2. But I think she does deserve it like everyone else because of her really getting the short of end of the stick. Even in the episode with Last Round up with getting overthrown by Derpy getting a speaking role.

I'm really glad she is getting more exposer and finally her own song compared to the rest of the mane 6 who all had multiple songs on there own.

• Brohoof 2

I have nothing against AJ but I am currently re watching the past seasons and the only ponies who have ever felt neglected here and there are Rarity and Fluttershy. Applejack dominated the first season by far and got adequate attention in the second. If anything, she's over exposed in comparison. Twilight doesn't count because she's the focal character the show is based around. Sorry to all the AJ fans out there. Again, I mean no harm. It's just how I see it and I have no bias either way. Also, my husband has started to watch the show after catching a few episodes with me and asked me why AJ gets so much focus. I told him I hadn't noticed it before. Re watching the past seasons brought it to my attention and seeing this topic saying the opposite is kind of ironic. I really don't understand how anyone could feel she's ever been neglected. After all, AJ is actually one of the most developed characters and has an entire fleshed out family. Again, no harm meant.

Edited by Jemboi
  • Brohoof 2

However i don't think AJ is getting to much screentime really. I mean she didn't really get much of any important roles in the other seasons. The funny thing is that actually overalll in S1 And S2 she got a pretty big chunk of screentime(I think she may have had more then Fluttershy.) However, she didn't play much of a role in any of the times she had screentime, she was just.. there.   So I think she does deserve a bit of time in the spotlight, now if she gets super focused with the spotlight for the rest of the show... well I can say she might be getting a bit to much.   Its not really that much about screentime, its more about how important her role is, or if shes basically just a background pony who shows up alot.   I am missing my dear Fluttershy a bit, but hopefully the next episode shall sate my thirst .

This basically sums up my feelings. Even though Applejack has had ton's of apperance's in previous season's most of them were downgraded to almost the level of a background pony, as she really had little to say. This season has attempted to fix that with Episodes mainly focusing on AJ,CMC, and Spike. Still i wish they would have done a little better on the AJ episodes but at least the episodes had her as the main focus. 

In now way do i think that she has had too much screen time. I just think that the way they did it was not good. It seems like the producers took all the major Aj episodes and the episodes where she plays a big part and smashed them all together in one long stretch. because the past few episodes have been so saturated with her screen-time it just gets a little old. while they were all good i found my self wondering where everyone else was after the third major AJ role. They need to do a better job of spacing out the episodes.TANGENT TIME: Like when the put two episodes of the CMCs as the main roles (One Bad Apple and Sleepless in Ponyville) right next to each other with only a one episode break. Then fallowed it with Applebloom and Babs taking a major roll only 3 episodes latter.

BACK TO AJ: she just seems to get so much screen time because they were so close to each other.