Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do they Humane 5 Act Too Much Like The Pony 5?

Denim&Venöm

I've just realized that Sci Twi is actually a different character in several ways compared to modern Princess Twi. She isn't as confident, more self conscious, more of a push over, and lacks the courage pony Twi has. It's enough to make the two distinct. Sci-Twis human up bringing and experiences have crafted a different person. 

Which cannot be said for the humane 5, who are acting exactly the same as their Equestrian counterparts. The ponies might as well have crossed over with Twi into the human realm. heck, Sunset acts more like a human than the humans she hangs out with. Other than a few interests and their occupations as students, what makes the humane 5 different than the mane 5 and how is this supposed to make sense despite literal worlds of difference in their lives?

• Brohoof 3

In my opinion, I think Sci-Twi acts more like a brainier version of Fluttershy than the original anti social unicorn Twilight Sparkle from season 1.

As far as the Humane 5 are concerned,

maybe the writing staff couldn't think of any creative ways to make  the humans different from their pony counterparts so,

they just copy pasted the main personality traits from the pony characters onto the human characters and called it a day.

• Brohoof 1

I guess you can say that.

It would be interesting to see some more differences between the pony remane 5 and the EQG remane 5.

Especially if it means we get to see both groups interact with each other.

• Brohoof 2

Sci-Twi can be best described as being Princess Twilight before she moved to Ponyville and without having magic in her life until the Friendship Games. The reason I say that is because the former was a socially awkward bookworm who preferred her own company--Spike--and felt that making friends would only get in the way of what she wanted to achieve in life, namely the pursuit of knowledge. She has since gotten more confident but still suffers from struggling to understand how magic works despite having a firm grasp of it now that Sunset has been teaching her.

In "Legend of Everfree," I found SciTwi actually didn't act enough like Twilight. Seeing how counterparts could be different is interesting, but SciTwi hasn't been given enough chances to be proactive, and I barely see her as Twilight anymore. Personally, I want to see more or less the same characters as the show. Part of the hypothetical appeal of these movies to be us seeing characters I'm familiar with in a more mundane, familiar context, and it's why my problem with the other 5 isn't their similarity to their pony form, but simply that we haven't learned more about them. They should act like their pony counterparts, because they're more or less the same people. If you don't want that, give them different names. 

• Brohoof 1

I agree that Applejack & Company are acting very similar to their pony counterparts. Rarity and Pinkie remind me even too much of how the ponies were in season 1, which is why I do not like them. But overall I do not really care about the H5 anyway, since the main focus are Sunset and Sci-Twi.

Sci-Twi on the other site is more of a mix between Twilight and Fluttershy in my opinion. And Spike is just a dog with speaking ability. ._.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:00 PM, Aya. K. said:

Applejack & Company

Spoiler

269049__safe_applejack_twiface.gif.d619cf9db9a558ec8facc9a9847a8b62.gif

I don't think she could be compared to season 1 Twilight or act anyway similar to princess Twilight. lemme rabble.

Twilight was Celestia prime-student since preschool, that is very prestigious and her morale was sky-high from the get go, while Sci-Twi was still trying to apply to a high tier colleg but was not quite there yet, as far as I understood she was "doing" regular school her whole life.

And I said "doing" because I believe she merely facerolled all her years. She is far to smart for regular school, even if it's a fancy school its not enough to Uber tier peeps like Sci-Twi (I'm assuming she is prodigious like horse twilight). Now look at her walking and singing in the corridor, people around her were adding to her agony and being rude and excluding her while s1-Twilight had the luxury to decline parties invitations.

tl;dr my head cannon sci-twi was tormented in school while horse twilight had a g00d time, hence the huge gap in personality.

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps for the uncertainly of the success of the brand, I guess it made more sense for the rest of the Mane6's human counterparts to be much like, if not a bit flanderized, the ponies. Make sense though, as apart of how uncertain the success would've been, the screen time allowed for that many characters, and that'd be like repeating the same development already seen in the show :huh: 

• 6 years later...
On 2017-04-30 at 2:00 PM, ----- said:

I agree that Applejack & Company are acting very similar to their pony counterparts. Rarity and Pinkie remind me even too much of how the ponies were in season 1, which is why I do not like them. But overall I do not really care about the H5 anyway, since the main focus are Sunset and Sci-Twi.

Sci-Twi on the other site is more of a mix between Twilight and Fluttershy in my opinion. And Spike is just a dog with speaking ability. ._.

They really messed Spike up by making him a dog.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, do the later specials do good when they try to give characters other than Sunset and Sci-Twi focus? Dance Magic is Rarity focused, Movie Magic is Rainbow Dash focused, Rollercoaster of Friendship is Rarity and Applejack focused, Spring Breakdown focuses on Rainbow Dash (in addition to Sci-Twi), Sunset's Backstage Pass focuses on Pinkie Pie (alongside Sunset), and Hollidays Unwrapped splits focus between Rainbow Dash in Blizzard or Bust and Dashing Through the Mall, , Applejack (with Sci-Twi) in Cider Louse Fools, and Pinkie in Saving Pinkie's Pie.

On 2023-08-09 at 10:08 PM, nightshroud96 said:

They really messed Spike up by making him a dog.

To be fair, a human boy hanging around a bunch of teenage girls would've given some pretty weird implications.

1 hour ago, SunsetShimmerStan said:

To be fair, a human boy hanging around a bunch of teenage girls would've given some pretty weird implications.

There is nothing wrong with a guy hanging out with a bunch of gals as friends

58 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

There is nothing wrong with a guy hanging out with a bunch of gals as friends

I mean Spike would probably have been a preteen boy and that is where the problem would come. If he was the same age as the Rainbooms it wouldn't be a problem, but an underage boy is what would've made it weird (plus raising questions on if he even has friends his own age).

Plus there is a chance they probably hadn't outright figured out how to define Twilight and Spike's relationship yet (it's telling it took until season 9 for them refer to Twilight and Spike as siblings in Sparkle's Seven) at the time between mother/son (which was a pretty popular interpretation and still remains one to this day), older sister/little brother, or some third thing so making Spike a dog may have been a way of not having to awkwardly answer that at the time.

And even within the movies, Friendship Games kinda does rely on Spike being a dog to show how Sci-Twi was so isolated in friendship that her dog is her only friend (plus dunno how she'd be able to sneak a human Spike into Crystal Prep (let alone how she'd even meet him) or even how human Spike would be allowed to be involved in Friendship Games) and Legend of Everfree is a field trip with the teens in the Rainbooms' grade (Explaining why the human CMC aren't with them) so it'd be pretty confusing how to address a human Spike accompanying them (as the only preteen and the only one on the trip who isn't in the same grade as the Rainbooms).

• 4 weeks later...
On 2023-10-28 at 4:58 PM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

I mean Spike would probably have been a preteen boy and that is where the problem would come. If he was the same age as the Rainbooms it wouldn't be a problem, but an underage boy is what would've made it weird (plus raising questions on if he even has friends his own age).

Plus there is a chance they probably hadn't outright figured out how to define Twilight and Spike's relationship yet (it's telling it took until season 9 for them refer to Twilight and Spike as siblings in Sparkle's Seven) at the time between mother/son (which was a pretty popular interpretation and still remains one to this day), older sister/little brother, or some third thing so making Spike a dog may have been a way of not having to awkwardly answer that at the time.

And even within the movies, Friendship Games kinda does rely on Spike being a dog to show how Sci-Twi was so isolated in friendship that her dog is her only friend (plus dunno how she'd be able to sneak a human Spike into Crystal Prep (let alone how she'd even meet him) or even how human Spike would be allowed to be involved in Friendship Games) and Legend of Everfree is a field trip with the teens in the Rainbooms' grade (Explaining why the human CMC aren't with them) so it'd be pretty confusing how to address a human Spike accompanying them (as the only preteen and the only one on the trip who isn't in the same grade as the Rainbooms).

He would most likely be the human CMC age.
There's really nothing questionable about a guy hanging out with a bunch of girls, especially if one of themis his sister.

Human Spike could just sneak in at Prep.
While plot would change so freshman can come to the trip.

14 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

He would most likely be the human CMC age.
There's really nothing questionable about a guy hanging out with a bunch of girls, especially if one of themis his sister.

Human Spike could just sneak in at Prep.
While plot would change so freshman can come to the trip.

It is questionable if said guy is underage at say 12-13 with 16-18 year old girls. Plus it'd raise questions on if he even has friends his own age.

And again, there is a chance they probably hadn't outright figured out how to define Twilight and Spike's relationship yet (it's telling it took until season 9 for them refer to Twilight and Spike as siblings in Sparkle's Seven with the first EQG movie coming out between seasons 3 and 4) at the time between mother/son (which was a pretty popular interpretation and still remains one to this day), older sister/little brother, or some third thing so making Spike a dog may have been a way of not having to awkwardly answer that at the time.

And how would Spike being human magically fix the issue of him not getting much focus in the spin off? Fluttershy's a human but she barely gets any focus and was never the major lead of any special/movie so if Fluttershy didn't get much focus despite being human, I doubt Spike being human would fix the problem of not getting enough focus.

I mean, who else should they act like?

Also, dog Spike is great. I'd only be annoyed if they made like, Smolder or Ember regular people because that'd be one hell of a double standard

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...