Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Reality?

The Stranger

Have at it an article: http://i.space.com/18932-are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation.html

I personally don't care if we are living in a stimulation or what kind of reality I'm in. I'm just glad that I exist (or I think I exist). People shouldn't think too much about this (as in don't start shootings because you think this world isn't real anyways). Just live life to the fullest, because thats all you know you've got for now. BTW this topic reminds me of the movie Inception. Time to go spin my spinning top thing, and see whether it will stop spinning or not...(those who watched the movie should know what I'm talking about.) 

The movie touches much deeper.  It's the only movie I've seen to throw parallel dimensions with time loops.  When you look into the depth of it, it's quite disturbing.

Well that's assuming you're considering the "airplane piece kills Donnie" section is a different universe from "donnie kills rabbit guy" rather than a different timeline. But I haven't seen it in a while, what part do you think has to do with reality?

Well that's assuming you're considering the "airplane piece kills Donnie" section is a different universe from "donnie kills rabbit guy" rather than a different timeline. But I haven't seen it in a while, what part do you think has to do with reality?

This discussion you're asking for takes me some time to say/type.  Therefore, I'll sum it up.

When the jet engine first falls into Donnie's room, it creates a rift in the normal universe/reality because Donnie was alive. Donnie needs to repair said rift by taking the course of the movie, sending the Jet Engine back in time and killing Frank, therefore rendering Frank unable to go back in time and telling Donnie to come outside, therefore killing Donnie, allowing time to pass normally.

The problem with the rift is that because Donnie survived, the Jet Engine couldn't exist inside the same universe/reality as him, a better description of the rift would be tangent universe, and those can stay open for a few weeks, (about four/28 days) until they collapse, destroying the normal universe.

Someone who knows this better than I please correct me, I have a bad case of ADHD and I forgot to take my meds this morning.

Ever since I was really small I wondered this too! You know when you first start school at 4 or 5 and for the first time spend time away from your parents? My creeping fear was that mum and dad stopped existing when I wasn't around. I even started to wonder if the world behind me head continued existing at all when I wasn't looking! (how could I be sure it didn't just assemble itself quickly when I turned around or take a picture?)

We each have our own reality if we define this to be the sum of what we witness and understand through our senses. In most places those 'realities' are shared but in some places will be different!

How can I be sure that my 'blue' colour is the same as yours for instance? (maybe you understand a different colour the be blue - but you are still told it is blue!) I even wondered if this could account for personal taste and why it differs from person to person.

The only thing you can ever know for certain is that your own mind exists because you can think and do not need anyone outside of your own mind to prove this (Cogito Ergo Sum) and I think this would continue even if ALL outside stimulus was cut off and you lost all senses.

But I always take some comfort in this: even if reality doesn't exist and this is a dream or collective dillusion of some kind, we all witness the same (or largely similar) stimulus. So even if reality is not actually real, it might as well be for the value we attach to it!

Perhaps this is the true nature of what 'science' really means? The studying of reality through empirical evidence and provable tests which do not rely on our own perception to be real?

• Brohoof 1

Reality is whatever we believe to be true, isn't it?

The more I think about this, the more and less it makes sense

Lets look at The Truman Show, does he live in reality? Is his reality fake? Once he found out, did his reality he lived in stop being real?

To be honest I can't answer any of these questions but I guess he did live in his own version of reality.

Now there have been instances of people believing that they are the center of a T.V show, like Truman. Is their reality real? Because they see that to be true?

It is, too them, but to everyone else, it's not reality. So I guess that maybe we all live in different realities? The only thing is that that means that there isn't any right or wrong answers, as what ever you believe is true to you, but wrong to someone else. This might be explained by proof that someones truth is correct, but then you have the issue of refusing proof, and proof not being proof, as there is nothing to say that someones proof is correct, except the person/people saying it is. If that happens then all you can really do is either put them somewhere where others can try and contain and convince them that they are living in a false reality (in extreme cases: eg. they hide all day and go out at night and try and kill cats and dogs as they think all pets are part of a plot to enslave the human race.) or you might go your separate ways, believing what you what you believe is true (someones views on religion for example).

There are acouple I can think of with this theory.

One is if someone believes that they can break the laws if gravity and fly at will, jumps off a building and falls to their death, that means that someone DOES have a wrong reality and that proof that they don't believe is true. So sometimes proof can not be ignored by someone, but did they only fall because there were people round who thought he would? I don't think so, as you can think "I can make that jump" or "I can lift that" when in reality, you can't (I don't believe that if someone was alone and thought they could punch a whole in a diamond wall that they would be able to do it).

And I'm pretty sure there others...

Related: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to here it, does it make a sound?

Time to go spin my spinning top thing, and see whether it will stop spinning or not

Well, the thing is, you don't know if a "real"  top is supposed to stop after some time or not. Hell, maybe the top is just a distraction so you don't see some magic fairies capture that squirrel behind you with a knife.

... Am I the only one here who believes that we're all in the same physical world? Seriously, it's just as hard to prove than to rule out. I really think that we're in the same place, I don't get how you could assume for a second we're in some kind of dream.

• Brohoof 1