Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Arduino fun

TwilizzleFoShizzle

So I decided on a project and wanted some help with details n such, preferably from somebody with experience with arduino. I am using an Arduino Nano with an XBee nano shield, and want to have it output to 3 motors. I want the input for said board to be data that it recieves from another nano/Xbee combo and joystick/button shield sitting at my desk. I also want it to send data back from an FPV camera. This is my first project with arduino and I may eliminate the camera part if needed, but would prefer to keep the option open. I will be drawing up a schematic n such at some point to show what I have setup, but at the moment I am too lazy. Also, I need to know if I need third party ESC's or if the arduino motor shield is compatible with nano. Lastly, I need to know if there is a way to transcieve with my other board, the micro, using a breadboard. the micro is not shield compatible by the way. Thx for helping, and if you want to help me in a more conversation like manner add me on steam @ watamacha

Edited by TwilizzleFoShizzle
  • Brohoof 1

@@TwilizzleFoShizzle,

Well, you can't drive the motors directly, and that is for two reasons; first being the flyback from the motors. The small electromagnets in motors are rather inductive; by definition, this means when you disconnect them from power, the emf will collapse, generating a giant voltage spike, damaging poor Duino in process. This can be observed when you just connect the motor to a power source, such as battery-upon disconnecting, you see a small Sparkle. Second reason is that the pins cannot provide enough current. The way to solve both issues is to use an H-Bridge of some sort-I highly reccomend using L293Ds. They are like 2 bucks each and they are quite handy. However, it'd be nice if you could provide following stuff to me:

1) What motors are you using? Current (or just their internal resistance), voltage

2) just... link me to the motor shield you wanna use... But generally speaking, yes. You will have to use some rather complex wiring, but you will be able to use it.

3)Tell me how exactly do you want to process the data from the camera. There is no way Arduino can handle this amount of data by itself, even when using close to hw functions only.

Edited by thegoodhen