Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"What my Cutie Mark is Telling Me": A Homage to the American Musical

Inactive01

You know, there's been so many amazing musical numbers at the season 3 finale that it all went by too quickly. So now I'm going to do another one of my musical number analysis in what should hopefully allow you a greater sense of appreciation for the season finale songs. My favourite number is "What my Cutie Mark is Telling Me" because of all the homages to the American musical and MLP music and the nearly abstract melodies and chord progressions also present in the early American musical. Let me show you what I mean.

NOTE: 6/4 is 2nd inversion, 6 is first inversion of the chord

NOTE: The "Jewish" feel is one of sorrow and/or conflict. It's used a lot in musicals, considering how the early musical composers were of Jewish backgrounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1rbnlYhYY

By far the biggest homage to MLP music is to a well-loved song in Season 1: "Art of the Dress". You hear it when the scene shifts to Applejack trying hard to make dresses at Rarity's shop. If you listen carefully, the guitar's intro to Applejack's solo at 1:32 has the exact same rhythm to the intro to "Art of the Dress". Most of the other homages are more linked with what the correct pony's supposed to be doing and their associated themes. For example, Applejack's country theme is still playing even when Pinkie Pie's got the wrong cutie mark, since Applejack was always supposed to be doing the job anyway. 

Throughout the entire number, borrowed chords are prevalent. At the end of each of the soloist's phrases, you should normally have I6/4-V-I, but a borrowed chord here has the i6/4-V-I progression instead. For the musical, it's a great way to provide the bluesy (or "Jewish") feel that makes songs more catchy and upbeat. Each of the ponies have their own sorrow of "following their destiny" and being terrible at it, leading to their sorrow and sadness. Therefore, each of them ends their solo with the same blues chord cadence.

One other thing I'd like to mention are the abstract chord progressions and tonicizations that are present. These chord progressions are reminiscent of the late Romantic Era where people began to explore newer ways to please the ears and leave them thinking. Rainbow Dash's solo is a great example of this. There's a constant tension that forms as C major goes on a tug-of-war with B major and then c minor suddenly bumps in from 0:35-0:37. It's a great way to show how much trouble Rainbow Dash is in and makes it really catchy to the ear as well.

The greatest conflict of chords though is present in Rarity's solo, especially since she's been giving the residents a lot of trouble; you can't even tell if we're still in C# major because Ingram borrowed from its parallel minor, C# minor. Everyone's angst is also present at the end because it sounds like the music ends at C# minor (listen closely from 2:18-2:22). The echos from 2:10 to 2:18 also show how the Mane 6 is in huge trouble because of the Cutie Mark shift.

If there's anything you want to ask about the music, feel free to ask and add other musical insights for this song.

• Brohoof 8

Now, while I can't say I understand all the musical jargon you used there, I definately get what you're saying. I think this is my favourite song, too, for the same reasons. I heard the bluesy chords and the Art of the Dress and AJ themes clearly, and I thought it worked really well. I absolutely LOVE musicals, and I feel this episode was one big musical compressed into 20 minutes. Daniel Ingram really outdid himself this time :wub:

Also, my favourite verse is Pinkie Pie's, but I freakin' love the music at the start of Rarity's

This, without a doubt, is my favorite season 3 song. Not only does it have a perfect delivery, it's the best singing I've heard Applejack (a.k.a. Ashleigh Ball) do in the show so far.

I know this doesn't exactly contribute to the conversation but I had to say it :>

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 2

This, without a doubt, is my favorite season 3 song. Not only does it have a perfect delivery, it's the best singing I've heard Applejack (a.k.a. Ashleigh Ball) do in the show so far.

I know this doesn't exactly contribute to the conversation but I had to say it :>

The singing is what makes the execution so perfect. They all show they're trying their best at what they're doing (even though it's clearly the wrong job  ^_^ ).

Now, while I can't say I understand all the musical jargon you used there, I definately get what you're saying. I think this is my favourite song, too, for the same reasons. I heard the bluesy chords and the Art of the Dress and AJ themes clearly, and I thought it worked really well. I absolutely LOVE musicals, and I feel this episode was one big musical compressed into 20 minutes. Daniel Ingram really outdid himself this time :wub:

Also, my favourite verse is Pinkie Pie's, but I freakin' love the music at the start of Rarity's

The Pinkie Pie theme, one that often comes with a bass guitar and some bass drums, is also present when Fluttershy tries (miserably) to become a jester. The start of Rarity's theme really does convey a tornado of chaos doesn't it? With all the glissandos from the strings and the timpani roaring like thunder. It's amazing.

• Brohoof 2

Chord progressions, parallel minors, semitone steps, augmented and diminished intervals, perfect plagal and interrupted cadences ahhh all that music theory I was forced to learn as a child are all but a faint and vague memory at the back of my mind which you've just helped to spark :P

I love analyses like these though :)

Edited by akita-ken
  • Brohoof 1

The singing is what makes the execution so perfect. They all show they're trying their best at what they're doing (even though it's clearly the wrong job  ^_^ ).

The Pinkie Pie theme, one that often comes with a bass guitar and some bass drums, is also present when Fluttershy tries (miserably) to become a jester. The start of Rarity's theme really does convey a tornado of chaos doesn't it? With all the glissandos from the strings and the timpani roaring like thunder. It's amazing.

You're right, I didn't notice that before! :lol:  And whenever I hear Rarity's theme, I can imagine sitting in the front row of a theatre watching a live performance of it with the orchestra right in front of me~! ^^ It really feels like a true musical