Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's Cutie Mark

Sane Marbles

I was rewatching the episodes when I noticed something. Twilight's cutie mark is is a purple 6 sided star surrounded by 5 white 6 sided stars. As seen here:592647381a981_Twighlight.MagicalMisteryCure.png.0ab83780d23ac1e3f7cd700ff2dfbe77.png

However, I noticed something odd during Magical Mystery Cure. When her cutie mark appears in the sky as she descends back to Poneville after receiving her wings, there is 6 white stars. There is also 6 stars on her banners when she enters the throne room.

592647e9bd884_Symbolinthesky.png.072db154691a6ae9dc8e697e5f20398f.pngBanners.png.93b24c17b0921527a8922a1a52e94b8c.png

I was wondering if anyone out there understood why this happened. I don't believe it was an error, but intentional. It is the purpose behind this that has me wondering.

• Brohoof 2

I am guessing it is a mistake or design choice. Nothing significant really. I assume each star represents each element of harmony, which can be sometimes seen as 5 because magic was a secret one.

It's either a mistake or maybe it foreshadowed a new pony joining the mane 6 (Starlight)

• Brohoof 8

I think that it was a deliberate choice to add the 6th star during Magical Mystery Cure.

The first 5 could be seen as representing Twilight's friends, and now that she is no longer Celestia's student and is now her equal as a fellow princess of Equestria, the extra star could represent her.

• Brohoof 1

I think the extra star completes the circle. Looking back the uneven amount seemed to be a deliberate design for something and that could have been it. As others have said it could represent Twilight's completed journey to princesshood, but it is up for debate. 

• Brohoof 2

Twilight's mark represents not only her talent is magic, but each star represents her friends, each white star around the big star represents her friends, and the white star behind the main star is Spike.

Since they each got their marks on the same day and the same day Spike hatched.

• Brohoof 2

As some have stated ... Twilight's Cutie Mark changed when she became a Princess and has been depicted that was ever since. It has never been acknowledged in the show, and to my recollection the staff have not given the change an official explanation - leaving it up to audience interpretation. 

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 10:28 PM, Storm said:

It's either a mistake or maybe it foreshadowed a new pony joining the mane 6 (Starlight)

everything is foreshadowed in this show down to starlight having a thing for kites and they did say they had up till the end of season 8 planned out already when she became a princess so i think that is what is was, also 

Spoiler

in shadow play when they're looking threw the history of starswirl the bearded when is shows them planting the tree of harmony it has a 7th hidden element, which with how twilight's cutiemark mirrors the tree of harmony, i think this is right on the ball.

Edited by Jade Fire

17 hours ago, Jade Fire said:

everything is foreshadowed in this show down to starlight having a thing for kites

Well ... not entirely accurate. Season 7 scripts were done and there was a kite joke in one episode. Jim Miller actually told the animators to quickly add in a kite to the Season 6 finale since it wasn't done ... so it was more organic and spur of the moment than some grand plan. 

Never noticed that before, but tbh, I think it's nothing more than an error with the continuity, obviously animating a big show like MLP with so many scenes in it can lead to a few discrepancy's with the continuity of things with the show, and considering how minor this extra star is, I'll say it was just a miscount on the animators part of the number of stars in Twilight's cutie mark.  

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Plus this so called 'mistake' only happens in milestone episodes. Too coincidental for my taste.

If you watch Shadow Play, on more then one occasion, Twilight's cutie mark on her throne is shown to have six small stars instead of 5.

Plus, Starswirl's journal clearly show the tree of Harmony with 7 elements, instead of 6.

Edited by titanhades70

• 5 years later...