Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Planning an adventure game (foalhood edition)

Sentienthydra

(edited)

Okay guys and gals, who here has heard of 'Role-Playing is Magic'?

For all that don't, it's a set of Role-Play rules developed by a whole bunch of cool bronies as listed here.

I've found it nicely balanced, if a little tricky, and I think that it might be fun to try a game (We'd have to use skype, or some other live-play resource, a forum game might be feasible, but only to a degree) You can find their site, and links to the rulebooks for both editions (Seasons one and two) Here.

My essential Idea is to form a group for a campaign of sorts, in which the CMC (Cutie Mark Crusaders) have become a veritable network of foals, fillies and colts all across equestria, each cell and group dedicated to finding --or helping other to find-- their Cutie Marks, having fun along the way.

The campaign (Or season) will be an episodic affair, focusing on a small group of youngsters in their efforts to find their paths in life, I plan to have an overarching 'plot' of sorts, in which the CMC's efforts begin to uncover a shadier side to their quaint little lives. They'll battle stuffy grownups, stupid bullies and early bed-times in their quest, the final reward being of course, their very own Flank-Stamps.

Anyone interested in helping me set this thing up? I need ideas, thoughts on which to expand my world!

Not a single post? Awwww *Feels unloved*

Anyways, I've decided to set it in Manehatten, it's a place that has been shown to have a CMC prescence, and is far enough from Ponyville to stop the real CMC from overshadowing the campaign.

Also, it's a big City, so there's lots of room for interesting Player Characters. smile.png

SIgn-up thread is here

Edited by Sentienthydra
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks  :lol:  Nice to get a reply among the silence. You can help however you like ;p, though the main purpose of this thread is simply to solidify my ideas about the campaign, before I start building the mechanical structure.

Ideas for 'episodes' would be perfect :)

I have a few already, not many, but a few that I really want to include :P

Any ideas on how I can insert a Hydra into the game, without it being too deadly or 'combat-heavy'? I'm finding it hard to keep remembering that the players will all be foals in this game  :blink:

Take all the time you need  -_- , Any thoughts and inspirations are appreciated :)

(I really hope we get at least  one dragon player character  :lol:  I have something fun in mind for that)

You can definitely be a player :D I wouldn't dream of keeping out someone who wants to play. You'll just have to use your judgement and not use meta-knowledge while in play :)

Hrmmmm.

SHould we make the game Blank-Flanks and Dragons only, to make it a 'find your destiny' quest? Or allow some with their marks?

sound interesting but still dont know if i want to join  :huh: 

ill help out i guess and see how it goes and once everything is set up ill decide to join or not  :P

so wat can i do to help?

also what site are u going using to setup and run the campaign on?

the pony DND group i'm playing with is using this http://app.roll20.net/home/ if u don't have a site already

Hmmm, that is... an incredibly helpful site :) Thanks for showing it to me :3.  I'll not need much help atm, mainly due to this being the very initial stages, though some aid in spreading the word and gathering players would be appreciated, a game can't run without players after all :D

For now though I will only need real help forming concrete rules for the group to follow during character creation (How many bits to spend, how many skill point ect. ect.

Then, If you're interested, I will be interested in getting some help voicing the NPC cast for the 'Pilot Episode', which I have tentatively Named 'The Manehatten CMC in....

:ph34r: The Quest for the Golden Cookie Jar! :ph34r: '

:P 

I do like the idea of a 'find your destiny' sort of thing. Maybe we could have one or two ponies with their cutie marks, to help out the others on their quest? I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

Oh definitely a good idea :) That way we can't exclude dragons, or people who have a definite idea of their characters ultimate destiny.

Any ideas on how to get people to sign up? I've tried advertising, but no bites so far.

I have no idea. This is my first time trying to set up something like this, so... If I think of anything I'll let you know. 
Wait, have you tried posting a status update about it, in case someone you're friends with wants to join?

I have no idea. This is my first time trying to set up something like this, so... If I think of anything I'll let you know. 

Wait, have you tried posting a status update about it, in case someone you're friends with wants to join?

Good Idea :D

Oooh, that reminds me, d'you wanna make a Character, just so I can get my claw into walking a player through it?

I have a character that may just be perfect for this RP, he's a lonely Pegasus named Crossfire: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/crossfire-r2770

Hmmm, looks okay for a start :D, but he may need to be a bit younger. The CMC is a society of Foals and younger fillies after all ;) Thanks for the interest, I hope you'll have fun with the game. Official sign-up thread is here.

You really should have directed me here when I expressed interest in the searching thread. Fortunately I found it on my own initiative. 

Uh heh heh heh yeah... My bad blink.png  Forgive me?

Yes, yes it is :)

I was hoping someone would go for a dragon :D, it'll be cooler and easier to design if we get a mix of all the races. Plus, having a dragon along gives the little kid squad some much needed protection/combat ability, in case I decide to take a little bit of a darker path in later adventures.

@@Sentienthydra,

Although, technically dragons don't have cutie marks, so his reasons for joining the CMC are kind of a mystery, but I'll think of something. Oh, and if you want to include a hydra without it being an overpowered battle, I suggest you look to your username, by which I mean you could make the hydra intelligent enough to actually be able to speak with the players.

Also, would a dragon this young have wings? The book doesn't seem to address that.

F

Although, technically dragons don't have cutie marks, so his reasons for joining the CMC are kind of a mystery, but I'll think of something.

For reasons he might be with/in the CMC, there are many avenues to attack the problem from cool.png  Perhaps he has a prior 

relationship with one of the player characters (Friendship, infatuation, familial ties, employed as a guardian/assistant by a parent) and simply tags along to help them, or he might be a hanger-on, kept around and liked for his draconic abilities, in the end it is up to you :P

@@Sentienthydra,

Also, would a dragon this young have wings? The book doesn't seem to address that.

The way I look at it, the 'Hatchling' dragons are like Spike, wingless chubby little guys, good for fine dexterity (Hands FTW) and being a tough little dragon.

The next growth stage 'Drake' is akin to the dragons Spike met on his quest, winged and aged into their teenage years (30-40 by my head-canon)

So no, your little guy onto have his wings yet sad.png  sorry...

Though something related to that might be a good idea for an adventure later on biggrin.png  *Opens .txt file and types a few lines*

Oh, and if you want to include a hydra without it being an overpowered battle, I suggest you look to your username, by which I mean you could make the hydra intelligent enough to actually be able to speak with the players.

And now I can't but love you.   wub.png

And now I can't but love you.   

Whoa, slow down there buddy.laugh.png 

employed as a guardian/assistant by a parent

This I like. Have you ever played Redsteel? I might make it a Scott and Miyu type relationship, if you know what I mean. (Which you probably don't.)

Whoa, slow down there buddy.laugh.png

Never :D I have 4 heads and all of 'em are for kissing

wub.png wub.png wub.png wub.png

This I like. Have you ever played Redsteel? I might make it a Scott and Miyu type relationship, if you know what I mean. (Which you probably don't.)

Heh, I've never played Redsteel, but a few minutes of furious googling have given a modicum of understanding (Ah the internet :))

It looks like a good idea. If you wanna run with it, contact one of the potential players and check if they'd like a dragon Bodyguard :). Though you might wanna hold off on being Fiances just yet, this is a kid's game still laugh.png .

Though you might wanna hold off on being Fiances just yet, this is a kid's game still  .

Well, yeah, not to that extent obviously. More like an awkward puppy love type thing. Or just a crush that might develop into something eventually.

Never  I have 4 heads and all of 'em are for kissing

I need an adult... actually I am an adult, so... yeah. No means no.