Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chat is closed

Zoop

This is why I kind of don't want the chat to come back.

While I love being with members and talking quickly, the chat is slowly killing our posting base (In my eyes.)

People are starting to believe the chat is the entire forum, and it confuses me greatly.

Why be in a chat all day on a forum, which is made for posting?

I will never understand it.

personally, i am not that interested in frequenting the forums that much anymore. it just doesn't interest me that much.

what was good with the forum chat was that it was readily available for me at all times to talk to the people i love in real time. i thrive and depend on other people, i cannot go on by myself. reason why i was stuck in a cycle of depression, because me being lonely finally got to me. without the forum chat, i feel lost. the Skype chat doesn't like me, or rather, this computer don't like Skype, and school laptop i can't get Skype on, so i practically depend on the forum chat just so i can socialize with those people.

like i said before, if the forum chat would go, i'd be a very sad pony, and you don't want viscra to be a very sad pony.

BUT THEN AGAIN, i am only one forum member, so meh, just my opinions.

i still make elaborate forum posts every once in a while, though, whenever something interesting pops up. which isn't thatta often, unfortunately.

Guys, it was a joke I am never on the chat (almost). It was just some stupid things I wrote, Im sorry people!

typically, when you said 'it was a joke!', it's just a lame excuse to try and get away from what you just said.

i don't care if you don't actually frequent the chat too much, or anything, but spewing nonsense combined with trying to coming away by telling people that it's a joke is NOT ideal behavior. if you have nothing worthwile to say, say nothing at all.

• Brohoof 3

personally, i am not that interested in frequenting the forums that much anymore. it just doesn't interest me that much.

what was good with the forum chat was that it was readily available for me at all times to talk to the people i love in real time. i thrive and depend on other people, i cannot go on by myself. reason why i was stuck in a cycle of depression, because me being lonely finally got to me. without the forum chat, i feel lost. the Skype chat doesn't like me, or rather, this computer don't like Skype, and school laptop i can't get Skype on, so i practically depend on the forum chat just so i can socialize with those people.

like i said before, if the forum chat would go, i'd be a very sad pony, and you don't want viscra to be a very sad pony.

i still make elaborate forum posts every once in a while, though, whenever something interesting pops up. which isn't thatta often, unfortunately.

I can actually relate to what you're saying.

I feel a similar way about the chat. Even though I'm not in the chat as often, some times you just need to talk to someone and the chat room is a good way ;)

• Brohoof 1

typically, when you said 'it was a joke!', it's just a lame excuse to try and get away from what you just said.

i don't care if you don't actually frequent the chat too much, or anything, but spewing nonsense combined with trying to coming away by telling people that it's a joke is NOT ideal behavior. if you have nothing worthwile to say, say nothing at all.

It wasn't a "lame excuse", its just that I can't explain it on the computer in a way you guys would understand!!

I used to go on the chat all the time, but I haven't done it recently (before the chat closed.) I agree with some people on here about the chat being the main focus for new members and such. The chat closing doesn't mean the end of the world. Go post elsewhere on the forums! For me, I enjoy posting my drawings in the Visual Art section. But, I guess I do also like talking to other fellow ponies in the chatroom, especially if you need some cheering up. (:

I couldn't write the explanation in a way you guys would understand on the computer.

You would have to meet me IRL. And thats not going to happen.

i

i'm sure you can try to write a proper explanation. even if it isn't worded perfectly, we should still be able to get the general idea of what you mean.

if not, you could wait for the chatroom to come up again, and explain too us in real time what you mean, haha.

Well if members cannot handle the chat room properly then by all means keep it down!

Though I'd hate to see everyone have to lose the chat room because some can't handle it maturely.

Spamming, inappropriate topics, profanity. Some members have proven they cannot obey the rules regarding this kind of conduct.

I think I must suggest that these members should just be banned from the chat altogether. Heck some of them even argue with the mods when they are told to stop!

As much as I'd hate to suggest some sort of exclusive chat room...how about just banning all those who have proven they will never improve their conduct and only allowing those who can handle it in?

• Brohoof 6

That's a great idea. But maybe they should only be banned from the chat. Being banned from the entire forum seems a little harsh.

(Maybe that's what you meant?)

Oh, and people; If you really need a chat (which I can understand. I'd love it) you could always privately start an irc group, and make the address public on mlpforums. That way you can have separate chats or whatevs, since you'll be running it.

Or better still: Add the people on Skype!

• Brohoof 1

Well. That would clean up the chat. And it would keep it civil, if people know where the lines are drawn.

I'm positive to this. It's not a guaranteed safety, but that goes for the forums too.

As long as people remember to report violations it should work wonders. I'm not quite sure where the lines are either. If someone links to some NSFW, it's definitely too far, but if would blurt out "f*ck" or "sh*t" or "I'll r*** *** **** * *ake", I'm not sure if I would report it.

Edit: If the harsh language is targeting someone, or if it becomes plain nasty, I'd report it of course. The examples above were meant more for things like "Oh f***! I forgot to do my homework!"

Edited by Sir Cyborg

is it possible to censor the chat room and anyone that trys to get past the censorship gets banned like if someone trys to type the f-word with a q at the end then they will be perma-banned or something. just another suggestion

That's veering off into fascist thinking. I sincerely doubt that anyone's getting permabanned for cussing, much less changing the letters in a cuss to "censor" it.

• Brohoof 1

This is why I kind of don't want the chat to come back.

While I love being with members and talking quickly, the chat is slowly killing our posting base (In my eyes.)

People are starting to believe the chat is the entire forum, and it confuses me greatly.

Why be in a chat all day on a forum, which is made for posting?

I will never understand it.

This sounds really rather extreme. I think people are overreacting about the chat. Yes, whilst people DO like the chat, I think a lot of people are just saying that they are bored without it jokingly and not all to seriously. As well, as someone said... there's loads of people who don't go into the chat. The chat is not killing the forums' posting base. They still have as much activity as they used to (and more, apparently, according to Zoop's statistics earlier in this thread).

I don't really see anyone believing the chat is the entire forum.I just see some people saying they are bored, which is kind of understandable, I guess. I mean, talking in real time is a more consuming activity than posting on forums. (Not that I prefer the chat to the forums.)

Whilst you can sit there alone writing up a long post and thinking, chats move much more quickly which requires more of your attention. With a forum, the pace is more leisurely. (Which I kind of prefer, to be honest, as opposed to ADHDish nature of chats. I'm not usually a big fan of them, if I'm honest.) And when you get so used to being in a place like that... you notice when it's gone and get a little bored. I was in the chat all the time, but I still posted often. People can still post and be at least a little bored because they notice the lack of its presence.

And even if there are a lot of people like Viscra, there are plenty more who don't even glance at it. So yeah.

• Brohoof 9

See, the main raisin I really enjoyed the chatroom here is because most of the time (especially later in the day, toward the evening) it'd be full of more matured members who could share the same interest in things and at the same time their love for ponies. In fact, after partaking in the chat for a few days it even felt like the community seemed rather tight knit with people learning who each other were rather quickly and welcoming newcomers alike full-heartedly. I understand it is supposed to be a chatroom for all ages and I don't condone discussing things strictly 18+ and up and mentioning swear words around rather younger members, and thus agree that things must be kept clean and civilized. Even though it IS a pony chatroom, it would get pretty boring if everyone discussed nothing but ponies 24/7 as eventually not only will you possibly run out of ideas to discuss but eventually you'd possibly even get burned out. That's why it was fun being able to talk about games and what not with other bronies but still having access to the forums and it's vast topics of ponies to at the same time.

Not to make the chat sound super serial or anything, but it really was a nice place to hang around and talk from time to time. I quite enjoyed the randomness and found all of the members to be entertaining in their own ways. I'll do my best to make sure the chatroom is more clean on it's second life, since hopefully we can all prove just how mature we can be.

tl;dr JUST BE COOL AND STICK TO THE RULES, YO

• Brohoof 5

Just to throw in my two cents, the members of the chat were not above being disciplined with their behavior.

We have a recently registered member by the name of Almond Sparkle who just so happens to be only ten years old. As it turns out, she's taken an interest in joining the chat on occasion throughout the night and - I assure you on this! - whenever she joined, the cussing was toned down and the current topic was approached with a calmer, less startling tone until she left for the night.

I'd just like to advocate on account of everybody who frequented the chatroom because, well, that's something worth mentioning.

• Brohoof 1

While our focus is on the chat, how about if you have something bad to say in chat, have a private chat.

While our focus is on chat, how about a party chat? You know, a private chat between more than two people. Then you can say all you want in the party chat!

While our focus is on the chat, how about if you have something bad to say in chat, have a private chat.

While our focus is on chat, how about a party chat? You know, a private chat between more than two people. Then you can say all you want in the party chat!

This has been touched on by Feld0 already.

He cannot do that for the chat.

It's called a chat client. It takes Google, the energy to click a few links and the presence of mind to download and open an application.

This has been touched on by Feld0 already.

He cannot do that for the chat.

Oh, okay. The three strike system is a good idea then. Just for everypony, yes profanity is bad, its just human nature, I think there should be a cursing minimum of 10 times, curse more than ten times in a chat and get kicked out. Repeat offenders get banned, sound good? Same goes with trolls.

Oh, okay. The three strike system is a good idea then. Just for everypony, yes profanity is bad, its just human nature, I think there should be a cursing minimum of 10 times, curse more than ten times in a chat and get kicked out. Repeat offenders get banned, sound good? Same goes with trolls.

Have you not read what feld0 put?

There is no restricitons on cussing, although it is frowned apon.

• Brohoof 1

How about a party chat? You know, a private chat between more than two people. Then you can say all you want in the party chat!

You could always exchange skypes with one another. So that the people who are more familliar with each other can have a mass conversation when something you want to say something "politically incorrect" ;) You can make it a habit to have a skype window open whenever you're in the chat.

If you have something bad to say on chat then it'd probably be best not to say it at all. As it has been said, people of all ages come here to have fun so it's best to simply keep things clean (safe for work). There are always better words to choose over curse words and regardless I believe the staff can still read your private messages anyway. If you mean more NSFW stuff such as vulgar humor then yes I'd agree PMs would be the best way to go.

And it's true, a new chat room or 'party chat' are just simply not doable. I guess the best thing to do would be to add your bronies from the chat room to a chat client (or Steam or something) and have your party chats there with each other if you feel it necessary to engage in more crude humor and the like.

Edited by Demi
  • Brohoof 3

Why is there somemany ponies repling?

The Rules have been made clear, all you have to do is act right. if you can't follow the rules of the forums then you obviously cant follow the rules of the chat. No theres not going to be another chat ever, one chat and one chat only. just follow the rules and everything is going to be ok.

Edited by TagTeamCast

Why is there somemany ponies repling?

The Rules have been made clear, all you have to do is act right. if you can't follow the rules of the forums then you obviously cant follow the rules of the chat. No theres not going to be another chat ever. just follow the rules and everything is going to be ok.

>Wat.

The chat is coming back, unless you mean there will be no addition to it.