Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

____

I'm not a sports fan by any means, but I really enjoy playing baseball. Just seems like a fun and simple sport to watch. :)

Hockey! I really just started to get into watching it 2 years ago, so much more to it then you would expect. And most people do not watch just for the fights..

As far as athletic sports go, football. And since I'm from Texas, I feel like I should clarify thay I'm not talking about American football.

As far as competitive games in general go, Team Fortress 2.

(edited)

The best sport in the world is fencing, of course.

- You can fence with either an epee, a sabre or a foil

- In epee, the entire body is target. Hits are made with the point and any hit awards you a point. Double touches are allowed.

- In foil, only the torso is valid target. Hits are made with the point. To score, you must first establish right of way. The one who attacks first gains ROW, meaning the other fencer must first parry or step out of distance to make the first fencer miss, thereby giving them ROW for a riposte.

- In sabre, anything above the waist except the hands are target area. Hits are made with either the point or the edge of the weapon. Sabre has the same ROW rules as foil, with the added rule that while advancing, the back foot may never cross the front foot. This rule was added to prevent the match from being over too quickly.

- A fencing match goes to either 5 hits in preliminary bouts, or 15 in elimination bouts. Preliminary bouts are fenced in one round of three minutes, elimination matches in three rounds of three minutes. In sabre there is a break when one fencer reaches 8 points, while the timer isn't used.

- Team matches go to 45 points and consist of 9 rounds of three minutes. The maximum score in each round is 5 * round number, meaning fencers can go to 5 in round 1, 10 in round 2, etc.

- Fencing is one of the few sports to have been present in all modern Olympic Games.

To convince everyone, here are some choice videos for each weapon:

Epee:

Foil:

Sabre:

Edited by KatonRyu

I would have to say that football (soccer) is one of the best sports that ever was. I may just be biased to like it because I've played since I was six and have much better foot-eye coordination than hand-eye coordination but I'm also going to learn field hockey andit looks like a lot fun, too.

I'm going to out on a limb and mention rally-raid:

1. Take WRC and add in wide-open deserts of Baja & off-road racing, both of which are also awesome

2. Add in MUCH longer distances (especially for the Dakar Rally)

3. And the outright endurance that drivers, teams, and equipment must go through...

...I guess it's the ultimate 'game' for me. :)

Couldn't resist the chance to post this! I'm not much into sports, but hockey for me has to be one of the best sports. Very much team oriented and lots of fast paced action. Plus it's entertaining to poke a bit of fun at leafs fans whenever I get the chance. (Coming on 50 years without the cup!)

American Football is my favorite sport. I know a lot of people from other countries like to hate on it, but it really is one of  the most interesting sports to watch. There is a lot of strategy involved and it can get really intense! 

I would never play the sport though, I'd get killed!  :P

My favorite sport to play would probably be golf.

Edited by Hovershy

Multi-class endurance car racing, namely the 24 Heures du Le Mans and the World Endurance Championship.

High performance (450-900 bhp) race cars designed to take as much as a full day of non-stop punishment at speeds of up to 200MPH, and come out thirsting for more by the end of it.

The group of drivers that pilot them, driving at their maximum concentration level for hours at a time and only getting a few hours' rest between driver changes.

The group of mechanics that fix them, able to repair even the most nightmarish of mechanical issues to like-new condition in a few hours' time, or less.

The engineers and strategists that manage it all, able to cross-reference countless constantly-changing factors to plan out the optimum strategy for the team, with a reasonably high degree of accuracy and success.

Without a doubt the most grueling, demanding sport today, simply for its reliance on the endurance of not only the drivers but on the rest of the team crew as well.

Edited by RCTM