Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Comic Dubs

Dashabel

Recently I've learnt that many YouTubers make MLP comic dubs, and I thought this was a pretty cool thing to do. But I was just wondering, since I didn't want to be using any comics that I shouldn't, where do I find comics that I can dub to and put on YouTube? Of course, I will link the comic back to the original artist, but can I just literally choose one from anywhere, so long as I give credit? Also, I'd be grateful if anyone could post a few website links or comics that I could do. :) (What about the comics on Equestria Daily, or the official MLP comics? Can I dub to them?)

*raises hand* Comic dubber here! I don't think there are any 'off-limit' comics, if you enjoy it and want to dub it, go for it! People dub the comics posted on EQD all the time, so there's a good resource right there. Browse around on DA, too! Look up your favourite artists and see if they make comics.

Comic-dubbing isn't as easy as it looks, though. I would recommend to start small. A well-made, but short and simple comic-dub is much better than a long and complex, but sloppily made comic-dub.

Depending on the comic, you might also need sound effects. I get a lot of my sound effects from http://www.freesound.org/ you'll need to make an account to download sounds, but it's free to join.

Background music is also highly recommended. I personally tend to use royalty-free production music. Here's a good website for background music here http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?collection=014&Search=Search and just check the boxes for the type of 'feel' you want.

Also, voices. I'm sure you already know that voice acting is much, much more than just reading and speaking into a microphone. It takes lots and lots of practice to get a good grasp of it. I know my first attempts at voice-acting were pretty sub-par ^^;. It helps to memorize the text, that way you don't sound like you're 'reading'. Also, take a few minutes to get into the character. Think of yourself as the character. Voice acting is less about the impression, and more about the acting.

That's all I have to say about it, good luck, and have fun!!

I think most of the comics on EQD are free to use... But if you really want to be sure go on Deviantart and ask the artist himself if you can use his comic, I am always cooperative when someone asks if they can use my artwork so I guess it should be the same with most artists! :)

• 4 months later...

I think most of the comics on EQD are free to use... But if you really want to be sure go on Deviantart and ask the artist himself if you can use his comic, I am always cooperative when someone asks if they can use my artwork so I guess it should be the same with most artists! smile.png