Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did they come around to picking "Celestia" for Princess Celestia's Name? (A look into it)

Derpy.H

Am I right? (Read the text first)  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Could what I say equal Celestia (And most likely, Luna) could be Angels or something close to that?

• Yes
    • It's plausible
    • No

I was watching over all the episodes again while waiting for the new one to come out this week and I thought "Where did they come up with the name Celestia?" and I decided to look into it. I was looking "Celestia" on the internet and couldn't find it.

So I decided to listen to the Yogpod (Yogscast Podcast) and I got quite a way through them and then I suddenly heard from it "Celestial Being". I stopped it and went back a few seconds and he definitely said "Celestial Being" so I thought "Wait. Celestial Being? Isn't that pretty much Princess Celestia's name?"

Then I looked up Celestial Being on the internet and at first couldn't find anything and then I decided to look deeper into the depths of google and I found something that said "A Celestial Being normally refers to an angel".

Angel. Don't you think this means that they just took the "L" off of Celestial and this means that Princess Celestia could be an angel or something near to it. You may also realise this could be true as Princess Celestia (and Princess Luna) have lived for over 1000 years while the other ponies do not. Do you think I am right or not?

EDIT: After looking into it a bit deeper, with the help of fellow members of the forums it seems it could also be Celestial Body (representing the Sun). But if you refer back to the 1000+ life of Celestia it could also be that it would have been taken from Celestial Being AND Celestial Body meaning all they had to do was take off a letter of 1 word which refers to 2 things and that could also be another plausible way to see it as.

Edited by The REAL Lady Derpy Pony

I think they're closer to gods than angels. Angels typically serve deities.

I

I think it was taken from just celestial:

celestial body - natural objects visible in the sky  

heavenly body

natural object - an object occurring naturally; not made by man

minor planet, planetoid - any of numerous small celestial bodies that move around the sun

major planet, planet - (astronomy) any of the nine large celestial bodies in the solar system that revolve around the sun and shine by reflected light; Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto in order of their proximity to the sun; viewed from the constellation Hercules, all the planets rotate around the sun in a counterclockwise direction

planet - any celestial body (other than comets or satellites) that revolves around a star

planetesimal - one of many small solid celestial bodies thought to have existed at an early stage in the development of the solar system

primary - (astronomy) a celestial body (especially a star) relative to other objects in orbit around it

quasar, quasi-stellar radio source - a starlike object that may send out radio waves and other forms of energy; many have large red shifts

satellite - any celestial body orbiting around a planet or star

star - (astronomy) a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior

star - any celestial body visible (as a point of light) from the Earth at night

cosmos, macrocosm, universe, world, existence, creation - everything that exists anywhere; "they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence"

winkle, twinkle, scintillate - emit or reflect light in a flickering manner; "Does a constellation twinkle more brightly than a single star?"

Celestial usually refers to something in space or the heavens (sky).

Celestial body= planet, sun, etc.

Celestial being however usually refers to an angel, (as you said) and Celestia bears some resemblances to angels. So I see how you thought of that theory.

So really her name could be a combination of both.

Edited by toothlessbrony

I think they got it from the sun, a celestial body.

It then ties in with her powers and responsibilities.

Edited by Trixie the Great

The name "Celestia" comes from the word "celestrial"

Yes the "L" was taken off.

The definitions of the word being:

1. Positioned in or relating to the sky, or outer space as observed in astronomy.

2. Belonging or relating to heaven.

I highly doubt she is an "angel", she could very well be called a "celestrial being" referring to the way she controls the sun.

Really? Isn't Celestial the same as Heavenly? or is it just like that in spanish? Anyways, she is a goddess, so calling her Celestial seems to make perfect sense. They just took out the L to make it a name

I think they got it from the sun, a celestial body. It seems the most logical path.

Well now that I have seen it both ways. I also think it could be from both Celestial Being and Celestial Body because seeing as Celestial Body is representing a sun and Celestial Being is representing an Angel (refer back to the 1000+ year living). I see it working either way or both together. But that might not work like I think it does to others.

I won't touch Celestia, you have the answers up there. :P

As for our best princess, in Roman mythology Luna was the moon goddess, so the name is very commonly associated with the moon.

Heh, I would've gone into a Princess Luna thing as well but I thought most people knew what Luna was referred to as it is a higher known word than Celestial. But yeah, you're right on that part.

-a or -ia are common Latin-base suffixes for person names, just like -opolis is to Greek for cities, or -berg in German.

Root of the term would be Celest/ial just as already stated, just as much as Luna would come from Lun/e (French/Latin for Moon) or Lun/ar (Latin Moon root).

However both of these names are far more elegant-sounding that most of the other astronomic names and titles, except perhaps Jove or Jovian (pertaining to Jupiter).

By jove.

• Brohoof 1