Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starting up a Fanfic

Akri_Hiro

I got it into my head to write an oc fanfic for MLP that would involve (of course) meeting and making friendsd with the mare 6 but I have a horrid time with "starting up" as it were.

my idea is that a char is dropped from earth into equestria as a result of  "rage wish" you could call it. (like "I hate this world and wish I could be somewhere else!" sort of thing)

Any suggestions on how to start up and things to keep in mind while writing would bhe appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

• Brohoof 1

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind while writing a fanfic, especially if you are a beginner, is not to rush the pacing by being so eager to tell your story that you forget to have an interesting writing style. I'd suggest taking your time to make it well-written by trying to add imagery and show-don't-tell to your story, because without those basic elements, the story may come off as bland. Of course, writing style will improve with experience, but still.

Bad grammar or spelling can also be a big turn-off to some readers, so pay attention to that--but that's probably somewhat obvious.

Also, keep in mind that your characters should be interesting and not one-dimensional--give them a believable set of strengths and weaknesses. TVTropes has collected pretty much every character type ever put into a story, if you need help thinking of something. They pretty much have everything ever used in a story documented...but I wouldn't suggest using that site any more than you have to.

And remember the basic do's and don'ts--or rather, the implied ones--of MLP fanfic writing: People don't like alicorn OCs, people don't like self-inserts, people don't like "Mary Sue" OCs (whatever that means), et cetera.

Good luck on your fic! :)

Well I don't know a whole lot about fanfic writing honestly, but I'd start it in the middle of your character having something happen to him/her that causes him/her to eventually make a wish to Equestria or whatever. 

You don't have to take it super fast though, you can spend a chapter or so just on earth.

Otherwise I don't know much sorry :/, good luck!

I started it off as if the char already been there for a year and is having a sort of moment where he's just rememberin the events of it.

Basically he ended up in Equestria as a result of a "rage wish" youcould say. AFter a really just terribad day: he's laying there and before he dozed off he's cursing the world and wishing fervently that he could escape the dumbassry of it all.

Wakes up in Equestria, dumped in a meadow.

(edited)

Thanks Pony Alchemist. I'll keep that in mind happy.png

So far it's kiind of rough and written in a kind of strange first person, past tense perspective (with some present perspective inner thoughts sort of thing.) It' a little odd to write but I'm having fun though. If there's a consensus I'll upload it to this thread as a reply (attachment)

Thanks Pony Alchemist I'll keep your offer in mind. At the moment it feels very rough though I'm having fun with writing it out by getting it down as it bubbles up in my mind. I've heard that that's the best way to do these sorts of things. How true is that though?

Edited by Akri_Hiro