Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pikmin 3

SPLinux

(edited)

img-1642104-1-335px-Pikmin3Boxart.png

So finally after 9 years since Pikmin 2, Pikmin 3 finally arrives on Wii U. I have been waiting patiently for this game ever since it was first hinted at in 2007 and announced as a Wii game in 2009, and in 2011 being moved to the Wii U. After many delays North Americans will be able to get their hands on the game August 4th, Lucky people in Japan gets it on July 13 (2 days away from the time of this post) Europeans on July 26 and Australians on July 27.

For those of you not familiar with the Pikmin series, in Pikmin you are able to control many plant/animal like creatures called the Pikmin, you use them to perform tasks like defeating enemies, gathering ship parts(Pikmin 1) treasure(Pikmin 2) and fruit (Pikmin 3). The Pikmin series was created by Shigeru Miyamoto the same man responsible for Mario, the Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox and more.

Each type of Pikmin has a unique ability. Red Pikmin are immune to fire and are stronger then other Pikmin(excluding purple). Yellow Pikmin can be thrown higher then other Pikmin and can lift bomb rocks (in Pikmin 1 and 3) and are immune to electricity (Pikmin 2 and 3). Blue Pikmin can breathe under water. Purple and White Pikmin first appear in Pikmin 2, Purple Pikmin are ten times a normal Pikmin's strength and are slow moving. White Pikmin are very fast and can survive poison and are toxic themselves. New to Pikmin 3 are Rock and Winged Pikmin, Rock Pikmin have rock bodies and can break very hard obstacles and can avoid being crushed(from what i saw in video footage), Winged Pikmin have wings and can hover off the ground to carry items and attack enemies from up high.

In the first game (released on the GameCube in 2001) Capitan Olimar crash lands on a unknown planet which contains the poisonous to him element oxygen. Olimar's life support system will only last him 30 days so he needs to find his missing ship parts and somehow retrieve them in order to escape and return to his family on the planet Hocatate. Olimar discovers the Pikmin and uses them to find his missing ship parts to return them to his ship the S.S Dolphin. If you can get the required parts by day 30 you successfully escape the planet. Each day in Pikmin lasts about 15 IRL minutes and its important to use each day as efficiently as possible so you do not run out of time.

In the second game(released on the GameCube in 2004) after Olimar gets back home he learns that his company is in a massive 10100 poko (hocotate curreny) debt and have no means to repay it. In shock Olimar drops a bottle cap he kept as a souvenir from the planet of the Pikmin. The Ship(a separate character from the S.S Dolphin) reads it and finds it is worth 100 pokos. The president orders Olimar and his workmate Louie to go back to the plant to retrieve more treasure to save his company. Unlike Pikmin 1 there is no 30 day time limit to finish the game although the 15 minute day time limit remains. All the Pikmin types from the first return and purple and white Pikmin are introduced. The game introduces caves which have many sub levels filled with enemies and treasure. After the debt is payed all is good until... well i don't want to spoil what happens, but a bit more happens after you pay off the debt.

Both Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were re-released on Wii in 2009 and 2012(Pikmin 2 in North America). The Wii Versions feature Widescreen support, couple new feaures and most significantly brand new Wii Controls. The Wii Remote is used to point to where to aim Pikmin and the nunchuck to move Olimar/Louie. If you never played a Pikmin game and are interested you may want to start here if you own a Wii or Wii U console. Although the original GameCube versions are playable on Gamecube compatible Wii consoles if you prefer traditional controls. Miyamoto has said Pikmin 3 is suitable for anyone so you can start there if you want, but i think its good to see what the first two games are like.

So now finally in Pikmin 3 the story does not initially seem to involve Olimar although Miyamoto has said you may see him at some point. The characters Alph, Brittanty, and Charle from the planet Kopai are suffering a food shortage and some how end up at the planet of the Pikmin to retrieve some. (I didn't want to spoil too much of the story for myself so i didn't really see how they got to the planet although i now there is a ship so i am assuming they went with it). You can control the Game using the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck, The Wii U GamePad, or a Wii U Pro Controller. Since Pikmin 3 is on Wii U, it is the first in the series to support High Definition visuals.

I will leave off with the E3 2013 Pikmin 3 trailer:

So this thread is to discuss all things relating to Pikmin 3, enjoy :)

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 6

I had tons of fun playing the Pikmin minigame from Nintendo Land, so I'm hoping I'll like this! :D

Everybody is saying how Pikmin 3 looks great graphically, which is true at some points, but I do have to say that the ground looks very flat, and the textures are kinda low-quality when seen up close. Of course, from the usual top-down view, it looks amazing. I'm definitely thinking this will be at least a month-one buy for me. :D

• Brohoof 1

Now I REALLY wish I had a Wii and a Wii U.

I absolutely loved both Pikmin 1 and 2 when they were out on the GameCube (though I completely failed at the first one...). Really digging the graphics, the onions looks very sleek and the chrome-ish effect is a good touch. Though I won't be able to play it, I'll be looking for a certain LP'er that probably will be doing it ;)

• Brohoof 1

Now I REALLY wish I had a Wii and a Wii U.

You'd only need a Wii U because, y'know, backwards compatability. :P

But you should totally get one around Christmas this year. By then, there will be a few awesome first party titles out with some more on the way. :3

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I had tons of fun playing the Pikmin minigame from Nintendo Land, so I'm hoping I'll like this! :D

Everybody is saying how Pikmin 3 looks great graphically, which is true at some points, but I do have to say that the ground looks very flat, and the textures are kinda low-quality when seen up close. Of course, from the usual top-down view, it looks amazing. I'm definitely thinking this will be at least a month-one buy for me. :D

Since the game was originally on Wii the textures here most likely reflect that, still a great looking game.

Attention: For anypony in North America and Canada, if you have a participating GameStop or EB Games, you have the chance on July 20 and 21'st to play a demo of the game, also if you pre-order the download version, you will be able to downlaod the game a day early (August 3). I have waited over 6 years for the game so ill just wait 1 day to get the physical, since i perfer physical games on Wii U. I will try to get to the nearest participating gamestop for the event (over 50 miles away...)

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/pikmin3demo/default.aspx

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/landing/events/pikmin3demo/default2.aspx

also here are some Pikmin 3 Commercials:

North America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qXf0dZ42T_M

Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV00Y66EU9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwhF_2aiS18

Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gamoDgo6lA

Edited by superponylinux

• 4 weeks later...

Just beat it, it took 41 in-game days but I did it with all the suit upgrades and plenty of Pikmin and fruit juices to spare. Anyone else beat it? If so, post how many days it took. 

(edited)

I finished it yesterday, took me 37 in-game days. Could have done a couple less but that last level was too nerve-wracking for me to try to rush lol. Had more then enough juice left as well. Now i just need to find all of the fruit.

Edited by superponylinux

I have seen it  out at our walmart but woopdie doo guess who doesn't have a wii U the only thing im wondering is if the next one they make will have 4 playable characters, and after that 5, but that's just a guess

I got mad at pikmin for delaying the game for so long. Since now they switched it from the wii to wii-u, im not spending anymore money for a new console.

Other then that, the game looks awesome.

I've been a pretty devout fan of Pikmin since the series' inception back in the early days of Gamecube. Pikmin 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and that's not just from me being all nostalgic. It still holds up today, and I'd be hard-pressed to think this game would be any worse. I don't have a WiiU and probably will not be getting one, however I will definitely try to find a playthrough of it on Youtube or something. The new types of Pikmin look very interesting, as do all the new enemies. Games like this make me wish I had a WiiU, though I don't think purchasing a whole new console for a very few games is worth it :/

I am planning on picking up this game.

Since I recently switched to Nintendo only, I have been going nuts trying out every franchise, and this is no exception.

It's puzzle and boss like gameplay looks impressive and can't wait to pick this up when I have a Wii U.