Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most obscure reference in the world

BadFlankMotherBucker

I know nopony is going to get this, but if at least 1 person does then I'll be happy:

In season 3 episode 10 with Discord, about 15-16 minutes in one of the sound guys made Angel's voice the same as Skillet from 12 oz Mouse. I don't know if it's a homage or a generic sound like the Wilheim Scream, but it made my day either way. :D

If it was done on purpose, then this show is 20% cooler.

• Brohoof 1

There are actually a host of sound effects from the show that are from all types of sources. The example that comes to mind is Secret of My Excess when Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy poke their heads out from under the water and it makes the Minecraft splashing effect. I think Hasbro just seek out any type of sound effect that they need to make; it's also commonplace for multiple gasps or screams to be used twice, and sometimes even words ("Stampede!" in Applebuck Season). But if they did deliberately make it a homage to 12oz Mouse, then man, that is awesome. :)

Edited by Flipturn Costava
  • Brohoof 1

Reusing sound effects is quite common in cartoons, I think it might just be due to there being a large amount of public domain sound effects already made(and it would be extremely hard to trademark a sound effect for various reasons).  

There are a lot of sound effect references in the show from other cartoons. The funniest reference that I know from the show, is the Benny Hill song when your running away from a mob.

After a bit of researching, I can't find anything about it either way. But I think you guys are right that it's most likely a coincidence, and the creators just needed an animal sound effect. I'm going to keep an ear out for the sound again, because now I'm curious to know if ozmo was even the first to use it.