Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Referring to women as 'females'

Zoraxe

Uh…duh! Women are females! That’s kinda the definition and it should be pretty obvious. I can’t imagine why anyone would have a problem with that. But then again, people nowadays are programmed to have a problem with everything that’s natural.  

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

On 2021-10-25 at 7:22 PM, Kujamih said:

if you can reproduce you are a female..... if you cannot you are a dick to nature.... 

" you can't tell me what to do MOM,!":squee:

XD get it? cuz mother nature...... :sealed:...

:blush:

TIL cis men are actually female, very enlightening take.

1 hour ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Uh…duh! Women are females! That’s kinda the definition and it should be pretty obvious. I can’t imagine why anyone would have a problem with that. But then again, people nowadays are programmed to have a problem with everything that’s natural.  

It's not a matter of "having a problem" with using female as a noun, there's nothing wrong with using female as a noun in and of itself, there's just usually something wrong with people who DO use female as a noun. In my experience they're typically pretty sexist.

26 minutes ago, Berdly is best boy said:

It's not a matter of "having a problem" with using female as a noun, there's nothing wrong with using female as a noun in and of itself, there's just usually something wrong with people who DO use female as a noun. In my experience they're typically pretty sexist.

ooooo you mean the guys who keep saying don't be a sissy or you throw like a girl and stuff like that.... those guys ain't sexist!...... they're assholes, there's a difference.

Moments ago, Kujamih said:

ooooo you mean the guys who keep saying don't be a sissy or you throw like a girl and stuff like that.... those guys ain't sexist!...... they're assholes, there's a difference.

No, I mean the guys who can't get laid and resent women because of it. Most of the time I see someone using female as a noun they're that specific kind of guy.

Also, "asshole" and "sexist" aren't mutually exclusive, actually there's a hell of a lot of overlap and saying "don't be a sissy" and "you throw like a girl" definitely puts you in both categories.

well sexist just targets the woman alone. being an asshole targets the woman and the guy they are mucking.... which is worse so being an asshole is worse than a sexist. and usually if you call out them as being sexist... it somehow makes it less  a sin in a way cuz your telling the guy or person that he/she  hates only a specific sex, making him or her change his or her way of changing his or her attitude towards that gender, which that person actually need is to change them attitude.... is my theory and what not.

I guess what I'm pointing out is... by using different words like racist, homophobic, sexists, quirephobic. people will get divided. if we target the enemy into 1 we can band up and stop the bullying! divided we fall together we stand!  

where am I going with this!

I'm lost in thought!

this will be a great script in my comics! 

anyway!

it all roots to bullying! we stop that we stop everything!

we are divided! the colored skins and different races , the different genders fighting with who exactly? someone is pulling the strings and we must stop that!

vote me for president and together! we can make America... NO... the WORLDO!!!! great again,!!

• 1 year later...

Yeah... I would be very careful about this. There are contexts in which using "female" makes sense and it's not always specifically related to biological sex matters, but there's a very fine line here.

There's just this trend you notice that the most blatantly misogynistic men overwhelmingly tend to use "females" instead of "women" and when I see it, something about it just eeks me out to the deepest parts of my core. It's hard to describe this. I think it has something to do with reducing us to our core biology instead of recognizing us as full human beings. And that isn't to say that using female does that, but it most certainly does when combined with what else these men are saying. It's one of those terms that I will not think much of in many cases, but in other cases will hit a nerve. It depends on what you're saying and how you're using it.

so, using certain words in certain circumstances has a tendency to shape others' perceptions of you. it's awkward using 'female' to describe a woman that where the conversation isn't about their medical history or something of the sort. in more informal settings, like at a social get-together, 'woman' is more than good enough and doesn't implicitly call to attention their physiology and/or anatomy.

Well this is an interesting conversation topic I stumbled into

That said I'm not really understanding the point of the question.. 

Woman and female are one in the same for human so I don't see the issue myself.

Whether I say I'm male or I am a man it doesn't really change anything. 

It is the exact same thing. I mean maybe you could argue female and malr is less specific to humans than man and woman terms but that's it.

I usually just refer to women as... women. or ladies. Sometimes even dude or bro but I know some ladies don't like that so I generally will only do so if I know they're alright with it. Female just sounds too clinical and cold.

5 hours ago, Ninetales said:

I say women, females is a bit more cold and clinical and kind of sounds weird when used in general conversation but is the accurate scientific term.

Agreed, females used in a casual setting sounds out of place, but I don’t see anything inherently harmful with it

• Brohoof 1