Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Can Bethesda Horror?

QuirkyUsername

Morning, afternoon or evening lads and lasses depending on where you are in the world.

So I had a sudden burst of boredom and went to my local EB and in my searching came across this

img-1814834-1-the-evil-within-box-art.jp

I don't know whether this will be just a place holder cover or the actual game one but I love the simplicity of it, TangoGameworks seem relatively new to the playing field and as good as some indie horrors are can they create a truly scary experience? The fact it is being spearheaded by the one and only Shinji Mikami gives me faith given his most known for his hands being in the resident evil series. Whether you find them scary or not you gotta at least admit Leon is a sexy sexy man they were fantastic games in their own right especially the earlier ones. A little bit has been released about the game and below I've linked a trailer and a few screen shots and spoilered below for those of you less tolerant to horror and gore. Granted any horror game where you can fight back now that they have a "helpless" genre has began to take away from the experience but I personally am pleasantly excited from what I've seen. So what's your opinion? Will Shinji get in touch with his scary side once more and make a nice shitstorm of fear or will this flop and die in the ass?

img-1814834-2-Asylum_Exterior_forSite.jp

img-1814834-3-Asylum_Reborn_forSite.jpg

img-1814834-4-AsylumUnderground_02_forSi

img-1814834-5-AsylumUnderground_03_forSi

img-1814834-6-Village_03_forSite.jpg

img-1814834-7-Village_Torch_forSite.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-jvqJV4SI

Edited by QuirkyUsername
  • Brohoof 1

If that is the actual game, then Bethesda would be able to pull off horror if they put a lot of effort into the game when it comes to everything that makes a good horror game. If not, it will die out fast.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't look promising at all, but I always give games a chance after the release since the footage shown right now is still in development, though it doesn't look really good but not bad either. Since it's coming to the PC, I'll give it a shot.

If that is the actual game, then Bethesda would be able to pull off horror if they put a lot of effort into the game when it comes to everything that makes a good horror game. If not, it will die out fast.

Bethesda is usually fantastic with audio and the graphics and enemy design at this stage look great. That shadowy....whatever the hell it is in the second screenshot looks legitimately unnerving. The only thing at this point I reckon that could fail is gameplay which is the drawback of alot of horror games I feel so we'll just have to wait and see for that aspect

It doesn't look promising at all, but I always give games a chance after the release since the footage shown right now is still in development, though it doesn't look really good but not bad either. Since it's coming to the PC, I'll give it a shot.
It comes out next year so there are always changes that can be made to make it better but lets take heart in the fact even if it sucks it can't possibly be as bad as silent hill downpour
Edited by QuirkyUsername

Bethesda is usually fantastic with audio and the graphics and enemy design at this stage look great. That shadowy....whatever the hell it is in the second screenshot looks legitimately unnerving. The only thing at this point I reckon that could fail is gameplay which is the drawback of alot of horror games I feel so we'll just have to wait and see for that aspect

If they are great with graphics and enemy designs, then they have no problem. Your right about the gameplay, they also need a very good constructed story.

Bethesda is best at making the sprawling open worlds and fantasy settings that they've become famous for worldwide. They make absolutely beautiful worlds and stories, along with memorable characters and quests. However, combat and horror have never been their strong suits, and I honestly can't see them doing it too well. Obviously we'll have to wait and see, though it doesn't seem too promising to me.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree with Azura on this.

I mean it looks good, but I think with Bethesda on the team I might give it a shot. They have yet to disappoint me.

(QuirkyUsername you ninja'd me on that)

Another then what the user above me stated, I have nothing more to add

• Brohoof 1

Bethesda is best at making the sprawling open worlds and fantasy settings that they've become famous for worldwide. They make absolutely beautiful worlds and stories, along with memorable characters and quests. However, combat and horror have never been their strong suits, and I honestly can't see them doing it too well. Obviously we'll have to wait and see, though it doesn't seem too promising to me.

Although I'm inclined to agree some places in Fallout give me hope for their taste in horror. The Dunwich building for one is widely loved for how eerie and creepy it is.As you said they are good at making Memorable characters which could easily add to the story and atmosphere here

• Brohoof 1