Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anyone else Played Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs yet?

Bucky McGillyCuddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9IyBzbyWQ

(Why the heck isn't it embedding properly?)

I know it's only been out for the last day or so but has anyone else played it yet? I played for about 90 minutes just now and so far so good. I was a little worried about Frictional sharing (Co-developing) their baby with the Chinese Room but it's seems to have worked out pretty well so far and it still feels pretty close to the original. I've only caught brief glimpses of the monsters so far and I love that the lantern flickers when they're near-by. The only thing I have a problem with at the moment is that the lantern appears to lasts forever and doesn't need to be refuelled which makes things a little too easy, but anyway. What do you think of it so far?

So now that I've finished the game I feel I can shed a little more light on it for people who aren't quite sure if they should buy it or not. Firstly, A Machine For Pigs was not developed by Frictional Games (Developers of Amnesia: The Dark Descent) but was published by them. Frictional handed the universe over to British Independent Game developing company "The Chinese Room" who say they are "passionate about storytelling in games". Machine For Pigs (MFP) isn't the scare fest that The Dark Descent (TDD) was. After a few hours of playing it's clear that they had traded off the scares to really focus on the story elements. Now when I say traded off the scares I don't mean that the game isn't scary, because it is, but scaring the player didn't feel like it was top of the list for things the game wanted to do to the player. Instead i felt it was trying to tell me Oswalds (the main protagonists) story which drew me in far more than I expected it to. 

Anyway, I'm going to leave this kind of half complete (like everything i start) and finish on saying that what you need to keep in mind is that A Machine For Pigs is first and foremost a story and shouldn't be treated in a way that a lot of recent horror games are. It's a far more complex story with a significant deeper meaning........

But it's still scary. 

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

I've had Machine for Pigs on pre-order since it was first announced, feels like; glad to see it finally coming out.

Time to tape up the windows, turn off the fan, boot the Mrs. out of the room and have me a good ol' bout of fear and paranoia.

I've got it preordered, but I can't play it until tonight. When I'm done with classes and homework.

It looks awesome. All I can say is I hope the main character doesn't lose sanity by standing in the effing dark....

I just stopped playing it actually. I'm enjoying it so far. The sound design is great and I like how the enemies look. The story is good so far as well. It seems a bit more linear then The Dark Descent though.

Edited by DragonFlame

Just started playing it too. It seems just like the old Amnesia with that steampunk element to it. Explainable, given it's a machine for pigs :P and I like it as an added element. Sometimes a gear or a rotating piece of machinery sounds like footsteps and catches my unneeded attention. It's got just as much of a tense atmosphere as the previous game, which I'm very grateful for :)

Edited by Flipturn

No I haven't even heard of it. I might check it out later though and see what it's all about. I still have yet to play the Amnesia: The Dark Descent so I might want to try and play through that one first.

I've just bought it, I guess I'll start getting scared to death all the time, because I'm a coward while playing horror games playing it tomorrow. From what I heard it's good game, I didn't watch gameplays to avoid spoilers, but well, I guess I'll find out how good it is myself. I only hope there will be enough ponies to restore my sanity after playing... ; D

• Brohoof 1

Wondering if anyone could help me out with a certain part of the game. (spoilers)

I'm at the part where there's a truck in the way of St Dunstans. I've got the fuel tank from inside the building, but I have no idea how to put it back into the truck. None of the guides I've looked at have been helpful with this, hoping anybody here knows how to do it?

Found out what to do, never mind. :P As I've been playing through this game, it's been getting some bad reviews. They say it's too linear and that the monsters aren't scary. I dunno, the monsters certainly scared me :3 I did notice that the ability to go outdoors took some of the tension away, but other than that I'm enjoying it.

Edited by Flipturn

I really wanted to pre-order it, but sadly I had to fill up my car with gas to get to university and back, so there went my gaming budget :(

Next paycheck, though, I have every intention of picking it up!  I loved the first one and haven't played a decent horror game in a while!

• Brohoof 1

I really wanted to pre-order it, but sadly I had to fill up my car with gas to get to university and back, so there went my gaming budget :(

Next paycheck, though, I have every intention of picking it up!  I loved the first one and haven't played a decent horror game in a while!

Be grateful for that, You at least can sleep peacefully at night. I can't XD But seriously now. Well, I played it for 1 hour (wasn't able to play any longer so far) and it's awesome. I mean, it is scary (well, for me almost every horror game is scary, I guess I'm just a coward :P ) Still I'm a bit disappointed by much lesser interaction with enviroment (You can grab much less things than in first Amnesia) and "infinite" lamp (You don't have to refill/recharge it). 

I'm at the part where there's a truck in the way of St Dunstans. I've got the fuel tank from inside the building, but I have no idea how to put it back into the truck. None of the guides I've looked at have been helpful with this, hoping anybody here knows how to do it?

I've put the solution in spoiler tags but just know that I've not actually spoiled anything outside of what you were having trouble with :)

you've probably worked it out by now but i''ll explain just in case. What you need to do is once you find the empty fuel cell to take it to the building behind where the truck is parked (the one you originally came out of). Inside to the left (I think) there a a fuel pump where to can fill the empty fuel cell by turning the valve. Once you've finished filling the fuel cell take it back to the truck and place it in the side (it should snap into place once you get close enough). Once it's in, go to the front of the truck and spin the crank a few times. After a few spins the truck should reverse back from the gate allowing you to open it and enter the church.