Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Emotional Ramifications of Alicorn Twilight Sparkle

Quilled Inc

1234468_10201836246968711_1360572856_n.j

So I haven't been a part of this fandom for very long, I'll the the first one to admit it.  Only since mid-last month have I been watching the show, however, just like most of my fine fellow-ponies I have grown immensely attached to the characters.

So, this last Sunday when I watched the finale of Season 3, it definitely came as a shock.  That was before I had delved into the Brony community online (was afraid of spoilers) so I had no pre-warning to the whole 'Alicorn Twilight' thing.

While, after a lot of thought and contemplation I have decided that I like the decision to make Twilight an Alicorn Princess, there was also an emotional effect to the whole deal, which is what I wanted to talk about in this topic.

First off the finale was a great positive, because it demonstrated the rewards for moral diligence.  This I appreciated.  I mean, what other famous media-princess do you know that EARNED her position?  This is possibly the best princess role model I could ever think of for my potential daughter.  That is primarily why I like the Alicorn decision.  Was it too soon?  ...maybe.  I guess we'll just have to see.

However, at the end of the finale, from the point when she grew her wings, I began to feel a sinking feeling in my stomach.  I couldn't explain why at the time, because my brain was telling me "This is so awesome!" but my heart was obviously not liking it.  Thus my lapse into contemplating the ramifications of this decision.

The first and foremost big issue here, and the one which I hope that this thread will lead to discuss the most, is that Twilight has obviously changed.  Grown.  In a major way.

This isn't like learning a new lesson, or even coming to terms with a new truth, this is possibly the biggest change the show has ever pulled on us.  But it isn't as much the change itself that nagged on me, as it was that it was just Twilight.  Twilight had grown, but the other Mane 5 had not.  They were still the same.  I hoped that Equestria Girls would have explained that a bit, but it didn't really.  Which leads to my biggest concern about the upcoming season: how can the other mane 5 ponies keep up with Twilight?  The show has shown us again and again the responsibilities of the princesses, such as Celestia and Candice (even Luna, a bit), so how will Twilight be able to keep balance in her new life?

The other thing is more surface-level.  Twilight has also grown physically, i.e. the wings.  Now, friends won't think any differently of friends because of appearance, but now that she's an Alicorn I see her as separate from the others in my mind.  That common ground of them all being normal ponies (despite their species, of course) isn't there any more.  And how will that affect our future perception of the characters?

I hope that this topic isn't reiterating too much of what has been said in previous topics.  I'm mostly interested in seeing how Twilight's transformation has affected you on an emotional level, consciously or subconsciously, and I'm very interested to see everypony's thoughts on the matter.

Edited by SilverQuill
  • Brohoof 6

Many of the things you brought up have been discussed in other threads so I encourage you to read those, but I'll try to reply to some of your points.

First, I think the show has been really good at showing Twilight's amazing ability while still keeping her grounded. She is super talented and yet flawed, but this never stops her from growing or doing what is needed. The other truth of the show is that Twilight is the main character, but the writers are very good a giving the other characters their due. They have all grown over the seasons, but since the first episode she was on the path to princesshood.

I also wouldn't worry too much about how she looks. As is the case with Twi she cares and worries more about being too powerful (Boost Busters) or having wings (Equestria Girls) or being a princess (Equesteia Girls and books) than her friends do. I've always felt us fans should follow the direction of the mane 5 and embrace and love her anyway.

Edited by Nature Spell

Many of the things you brought up have been discussed in other threads so I encourage you to read those, but I'll try to reply to some of your points.

First, I think the show has been really good at showing Twilight's amazing ability while still keeping her grounded. She is super talented and yet flawed, but this never stops her from growing or doing what is needed. The other truth of the show is that Twilight is the main character, but the writers are very good a giving the other characters their due. They have all grown over the seasons, but since the first episode she was on the path to princesshood.

I also wouldn't worry too much about how she looks. As is the case with Twi she cares and worries more about being too powerful (Boost Busters) or having wings (Equestria Girls) or being a princess (Equesteia Girls and books) than her friends do. I've always felt us fans should follow the direction of the mane 5 and embrace and love her anyway.

That was some valuable insight, well said!

The more and more I talk/read about it the less I feel like I can wait for the upcoming season :)

That was some valuable insight, well said!

The more and more I talk/read about it the less I feel like I can wait for the upcoming season :)

Thanks, glad to help. Everything will be just fine. :) As I've said before Equestria Girls, Twilight's Hot Minute and the two books by G.M Berrow (she lays the "I'm uncomfortable but accepting" on a bit thick IMHO) give us a great preview of what Twilight will be like in season 4 and that is herself with wings. Edited by Nature Spell

Thanks, glad to help. Everything will be just fine. :) As I've said before Equestria Girls, Twilight's Hot Minute and the two books by G.M Berrow (she lays the "I'm uncomfortable but accepting" on a bit thick IMHO) give us a great preview of what Twilight will be like in season 4 and that is herself with wings.

Books, huh? Hmm, I'll have to look into those!  Are these like those 'easy reader' books that I shelve at the library or are they for real honest-to-goodness books?  (or perhaps a mix of both?)

I knew that Twilight would stay the same personality-wise, the purpose of my original post was to express the emotional effects (that I felt at least) from the last episode....

Books, huh? Hmm, I'll have to look into those! Are these like those 'easy reader' books that I shelve at the library or are they for real honest-to-goodness books? (or perhaps a mix of both?)

I knew that Twilight would stay the same personality-wise, the purpose of my original post was to express the emotional effects (that I felt at least) from the last episode....

I've only read the electronic versions of them, but they are both short and I'd guess written on a 3rd-5th grade level. As I said the author needs to be more subtitle with the "I'm a princess but still me" stuff.

I get why you posted and it's fine to feel that way. I'm totally pro Princess Twilight and I do feel the more militant anti Alicorns need to move on for their own sake. Hopefully season 4 will be awesome!

I've only read the electronic versions of them, but they are both short and I'd guess written on a 3rd-5th grade level. As I said the author needs to be more subtitle with the "I'm a princess but still me" stuff.

I get why you posted and it's fine to feel that way. I'm totally pro Princess Twilight and I do feel the more militant anti Alicorns need to move on for their own sake. Hopefully season 4 will be awesome!

Okay, I looked up G.M. Barrow and she's written quite a few MLP books; which ones specifically were you referring to?  (although the Kindle versions are nice 'n' cheap so I might just pick up the lot of them :P)

Okay, I looked up G.M. Barrow and she's written quite a few MLP books; which ones specifically were you referring to? (although the Kindle versions are nice 'n' cheap so I might just pick up the lot of them :P)

I've only read Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell and Pinky Pie and the rockin Ponypalooza. They are both good. See what you think.

I could look at Twilight as a character, on how much she has grown and developed a lot as her own character. It's perfectly natural to have a character like her to have flaws in their personality or their attributes and I could say that some people overreacted to Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn.

I could look at Twilight as a character, on how much she has grown and developed a lot as her own character. It's perfectly natural to have a character like her to have flaws in their personality or their attributes and I could say that some people overreacted to Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn.

Haha, yeah, I've seen some of that!  All of that stuff about someponies leaving the fandom out of 'outrage' or something along those lines.

Okay, this video really hit home with me:

http://youtu.be/3BYLv7AqGMQ

It really addresses the things I've been talking about in this topic, haha!  And I confess it also gets me a bit teary XD

• Brohoof 2

I remember that Lesson Zero had been one of my earliest episodes I seen. Then I wondered how Lesson Zero could be with alicorn Twilight.

Because even the best among us fails and have weaknesses. Twilight grew up a lot and it shows. Being a princess in Equestria doesn't mean being perfect.