Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Hasbro ?

Spikey-Wikey

For me: They have very slender imaginations, they always have wrong idea's like if they give a pony a name of a food that comes from a place like England, they give the character a untellable accent (like Pinkie Pie's), and they usually cause displeasure for their fans, like giving them a bad past,and they hardly ever give characters in episodes that are not important in the episode speaking roles, I mean if a character like Spike in his b-day episode a colt who Spike said his name was Lickety Split, Spike obviously knows him, when he talks to him, nothing, the character has no lines, it seems so lazy.

So what are your view of them ?

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if that's Hasbro's doing but more of DHX's ideas who produce the show. Hasbro might be giving them directions for certain characters though.

Only thing I'll say is that their cease and desist policy has killed a couple of aspiring fan-made things that would've been awesome. 

• Brohoof 4

My view on Hasbro is, I think they are a company that solely has customers at their disposal to buy their products and gather as much money as possible. They make up for it in the quality of their shows. As for the side character things, Hasbro has a policy for that.

Edited by Scootalove

Hasbro definitely plays favorites. SW, Transformers, and Ponies are their absolute bread and butter. Anything that fails them even once gets shoved on the shelf never to be touched again unless absolutely necessary. As a Jurassic Park fan as well as a Brony, my opinion between them is torn. They've been great to us Bronies, but we've been the kicked puppy as far as us JP fans go. I would like nothing better than to rip the JP license from Hasbro's hands and give it to somebody else like McFarlane Toys or NECA. Hasbro completely ruined JP toys with their bad functions and action-pose sculpts that you couldn't do any thing with. Hasbro had the overly-obvious chunks out of their dinos, that made them look as it they just got attacked.

And that's anothing thing Hasbro didn't give us much of: THERE'S NO FREAKIN ACCESSORIES!!!! Kenner always had fun accessories, I loved the Dino-capture gear. These silly net-launchers that they have now-->have no story influence. At least when the Allosaurus came with the "Hospital Lab" set, it was kinda similar to, and therefore could be switched with the Jr Rex, for some broken baby rex leg scene recreation/playtime.A few good retools does not outweigh 5 lines in a row since 2001 that have been comprised of 95% crap. As far as I'm concerned, JP toys ended in 2001 with the few good sculpts that Hasbro managed in the mostly fugly JP/// line. They even tantalized us in 2011 with beautiful sculpts featuring glorious Dino-damage of all things, only to yank it away and cancel the line and release only 2 of the toys in 2013 alongside an army of crappy repaints. There needs to be a producer that will actually sell the toys they say they're gonna make, not just sit on the license and produce prototypes every couple of years to show Universal that they should still be entitled to the license. In fact, here: http://www.jplegacy.org/board//showthread.php?t=1807 An ex-Hasbro employee actually states that Hasbro views JP as a "thorn in [their] eye". It's evident that any fandom outside of the Chosen Ones won't ever get a thing from Hasbro but dashed hopes and broken promises. There needs to be somebody new as far as JP toys go.

And I've been patient. For over ten damned year, I have been waiting for Hasbro to produce an entire line of toys that would make me gleam like the Kenner ones did, and what do they do when they finally produce one? They. Cancel. It.This isn't like with Jurassic World, where we're stuck with Universal, who are the only ones capable of giving us more JP movies, Hasbro can easily be replaced, and they know this. That's why they mocked up to Joe-rassic line and the 2k11 line to shout out to Universal "Hey, we're still considering JP, don't take away our JP privileges! We can still produce!" They sculpt and sculpt and sculpt, but they haven't released a decent self-made sculpt that wasn't a Kenner repaint/retool since 2001 during their JP/// line.  All we have for now is Papo, who can produce JP-inspired lines that are 10x better than what Hasbro has delivered. The unfortunate side is that we JP fans ARE stuck with Hasbro. They're refusing to share the license with any other toy producers so the JP fans are stuck with their crap.

Hasbro is not much different than your typical company in that its main goal is profit, the only difference is that they are a bit more lenient on copyright issues than most companies which is both good business sense and good PR. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm grateful that they fund the show and allow it as many nice things as they have, but some of the things that they have or are potentially planning on adding to the show in the future are... not so great. Either way, we are lucky that they have been this good to us so far, especially with copyright(minus the FiM incident). We could have easily ended up with one of the companies who tend to take down even minor fanmade things(art, fiction) with a vengeance.

Edited by Vixor
  • Brohoof 1

I think that they're very smart in handing their top properties off to people who know what to do with them and know how to work with not-so-great ideas. 

I think they're good at recognizing talent and playing to the fanbases of their major franchises.

• Brohoof 1

I think they do a rather good job at what they actually do; be a company. They seem to be called this "evil" corporation constantly but I don't personally see it. They're pretty relaxed on copyright more than other companies, they recognize talent, and I actually like most of their ideas, especially Twilicorn and Equestria Girls. 

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 3

Well to be truthful with you I do not know much about the company asides that they have a lot of toy brands based for kids etc.. and the fact they have the license to this franchise.

But it really pissed me off when they shutdown the production of MLP Fighting is magic  a while back so because of that and since then I have had a negative outlook on them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm neutral about them to be honest. They commissioned the series in the first place, I can give them a bit of a break over the Fighting is Magic thing as they really couldn't ignore the exposure it was getting, and I give them credit for allowing licensed MLP stuff aimed at us. However, their decisions with regards to the toy line can be somewhat over-conservative even in respect to the main target audience. Products such as the talking toys with the vapid speech demonstrate a distinct disconnect between the goals of the showrunners and the toy designers, and perhaps a fear to produce any toys that aren't as stereotypically girly as possible.

I don't really care to be honest, i dont buy any merchandise so i dont have anything against their quality but i wish they would just take a valve type approach to things and instead of shutting down all these cool fan projects maybe help them out somehow. idk 

• Brohoof 1

I think we should respect them for maintaining the fan-posted episodes for the length of time they did, as well as permitting fan content that are clearly fair use. However, not all the show decisions (*cough* Equestria Girls *cough*) have went down as well as they could, and they have earnt a partially bad image because of that.

There are definitely some people working there that are aware of the value of Friendship Is Magic outside their intended audience. Due to politics though, I feel they haven't been able to develop it to it's full potential. We need more adult merchandise! Bring the Seasonal DVD/Bluray boxsets outside of the US! (actually, the Bluray was German, but STILL) Even, extend the Hub network outside the US so that bronies have a reliable source of pony! I mean, it's taken long enough already.

they usually cause displeasure for their fans, like giving them a bad past,and they hardly ever give characters in episodes that are not important in the episode speaking roles, I mean if a character like Spike in his b-day episode a colt who Spike said his name was Lickety Split, Spike obviously knows him, when he talks to him, nothing, the character has no lines, it seems so lazy.

So what are your view of them ?

I’m not sure that’s too much of Hasbros doing: they just own the rights to the My Little Pony brand.

I think Hasbro has made some pretty good toys in there time, My Little Pony and Transformers being one of there famous ones.

They do now own the rights I think to the game Rummikub, I played the Hasbro edition at a friends house and the boards and the tiles compared to our old version not made by Hasrbo was made from really nasty cheap plastic and the horrible boards kept falling over.

I don't really know too much about Hasbro, or what to think of them. All I know is that there's more negative reception geared towards them than there should be(e.g. Save Derpy, in which there was a lot of hate towards Hasbro for making an infamous decision). They're merely a company that sells toys and other various merchandise; that's their main purpose really, correct me if I'm wrong. DHX is responsible for actually producing and running the show, but I think they do it in accordance to what Hasbro directs them to do.  :huh:

Though I must admit, I'm not really fond of some of choices they made in MLP these past few seasons.

They're just doing what a corporation does. I don't see them as "evil" or mislead, they're just taking their most popular properties and doing as much as they can with them, like any smart business should. The executives don't get in the way of the show, and they actually care about what they put out and how it appeals to the fans. Say what you will about Equestria Girls, but it was made with bronies in mind. There's no other way to explain all the cameos and fan pandering. Compare these actions to Cartoon Network, who cancelled shows like Symbiotic Titan because there were more girls watching and responding to it than boys, since they believe they can only appeal and make money off boys, and having a demographic that reaches any broader is simply unacceptable.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a little confused, as your post says Hasbro but the examples you list as issues are decisions made by the DHX team, as I understand it.

And stupid as is it sounds, we can't get angry at them I think. My Little Pony is another name made by the consumerist label that is Hasbro. Hasbro made a show for a toy, not the other way around. We just happened to get lucky that Lauren Faust and DHX came together to make it. Equestria Girls was also made for us bronies in specific, so I have a better view on them myself. This is just me, this is what I think.

*flame shields up*

In general, I have an extremely unfavorable opinion of large companies. Hasbro is no exception. In fact, for several reasons I'd rather not get into, they've secured the place as my least favorite company. In my opinion, they don't deserve what they have.

I ask that you not try to dig deeper. It's very uncomfortable for me.  :blush: