Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Search System.

ghostfacekiller39
Go to solution Solved by Zygen,

Now, I dunno where exactly to put this topic, but it's a question-ish topic, that I feel is probably something can be answered due to my near-godlike ability to overlook things :D

Alright, so, dude, I always want to start a topic. Of something or other. It sounds fun to me :D

And, as you very well may know, there's an extremely diverse range of topics already on this site.

So, I try to use the search system when I want to start a topic, so I won't be the dude who get his topic locked down or moved when it already was there in the first place, right?

So, after I try to use the search system, a similar pattern follows:

1. I give up on the search engine attached to the navigation bar beside the "sign out" button, and go over to advanced search to narrow down the list of topics it gives me.

2. I try to narrow down the list of topics it gives me in order to make it easier to find said possible pre-existing topic I want to create.

3. It goes from around 100 pages to like, 20 pages.

4. I promptly flip my desk over out of frustration, shoot the middle finger at the search engine, and then go back to whatever I was doing before hand :D

Now, I've noticed a recurring pattern here: it just doesn't give me a list of topics. The keywords (Which is generally the topic title I planned on using) could have been posted in a reply to a totally irrelevant-to-what-I'm-searching-for topic, and it greatly extends said number of pages to something I simply don't have the time or desire to scour through in order to create a topic of my own.

Furthermore, I've tried finding a search filter system, but the only one that seems relevant to trying to find a pre-existing topic is the "forums" filter, which is what I had it set on to begin with, which led to this mess.

So, as much as I want to create a topic, I simply don't and give up my search due to the frustration the search has caused me. This is my 9th topic I've started, I believe, and 1 was my Introduction in the Welcoming Plaza, 1 was in the Forum Lounge, 1 was in Sugarcube Corner, and that was when I was still new, to an extent, so it got locked as to being better suited for a blog or status update, and the rest have all been here.

Am I missing a key ingredient for my search, said key ingredient being what keeps a bazillion irrelevant topics from popping up in my search? Because I've tried everything I thought of, but it doesn't help too much.

Oh, and one last thing: the Tag System doesn't work to well, either, due to the fact that tags are either absent from the topic itself or generally random words that are, at times, irrelevant to the topic matter, or, like what I've got on this one, relevant, but useless. Few topics seem to be tagged correctly to me, so, ergo, broken system.

So, yeahh...am I missing something, dude?

Yeah, i think the search system can be a little hard to work with at times, you just kinda have to be picky enough without being to picky that it won't show up at all, then search a few pages real quick, and then post the topic.

Thats what i do, and normally the topic doesn't already exist. 

And i believe you can narrow down the keywords to only be searched in the title however if you are in advanced search and change where it says "Match" to "Only search in titles" then your keywords should only be searched for within the title.

Hopefully that will help some.

• Brohoof 2

@@SCS,

Yeahh :D Again, near godlike ability at overlooking things like that. :D

I'm glad that his suggestion helped you. I will go ahead and lock this thread, but if you still feel that the search system should be improved I encourage you to make a thread in Feedback & Suggestions describing your suggestions for how it can be improved.

• Brohoof 2