Bat Ponies/Flutter-Bat relation

Skycoaster

OK everypony, time for a long discussion. What is the relationship between Luna's Bat Guard Ponies and Flutter-Bat.

post-1908-0-94593800-1388396781_thumb.png

In Bats! We saw that Flutter-Bat was created by the magic from Twilight's spell putting the bat desires into Fluttershy hence turning her into Flutter-Bat.

post-1908-0-46162600-1388396759_thumb.png

Now the question comes up to these guys and there 5 seconds of fame. Are the Bat Guards there own species or have they been somewhat magically enhanced to there appearance...just not the the extent of Flutter-Bat.

I am looking forward to your opinions on this.

i don't know... probably they are two different stuff.. maybe the REAl bat ponies are just like normal ponies (just another race along pegasi, mud ponies and unicorns), FLutterbat was acting like she hadn't an human brain, just like a normal animal.. so maybe it's different... but they are so damn cool!!!

2qjbm88.jpg

Interesting proposal. I'm not sure. I feel as though they could be both their own species and created. We've seen they simply can be created, but at the same time, it brings desires from that bat with it. I feel that to have a potential guard like Luna does you'd need them to carry their own personality, so either they have casted spells that changes their behavior, or they are their own species. I'm gonna roll with it and say Batponies are their own thing. Can be created, but also a species. That's what makes most sense in my head.

• Brohoof 2

Well, one small detail about Flutterbat. Eyes. Look on eyes of bat ponies and then on her eyes. They are different. Besides Fluttershy was behaving like animal (bat in this case) while bat ponies are just... ponies with bat wings and other characteristic feats (and they look amazing *_* ). And rest of Flutterbat appearance... well, she is a pegasus, it's obvious that she'd be similiar to bat ponies after being "transformed". In my opinion bat ponies are just another species just like pegasus, unicorns... Fluttershy isn't and never was among them. 

• Brohoof 2

Ok,  now what if a pony had say some great grand pony who was a bat pony some how? What

if Shy had that and it help her change into well that Vamp bat pony and who knows the nature

of the the Bat Ponies Luna keeps?  We have only seen them a hoof full of time in the show and it

would be nice if they gave us more insight into those ponies and maybe into luna and how

they came to be and such.

My own headcanon is that the batponies are just regular pegasi, just with some kind of enchantment or spell that makes them look batlike while pulling Luna's chariot.  It's really all about the image.

I think the bat ponies are just Pegasuses with some sort of spell on them. we've seen other ponies get different wings from spells 

Actually M.A. Larson and Lauren Faust said something on twitter awhile back stating that bat ponies and pegasi were two different races 

Bat ponies would have to be their own species because, they are own their own race as they were born as foals with their bat abilities intact so you could say they were born as bat pony foals. Fluttershy wasn't among the bat pony race, if you try to tell the difference between the two.

• Brohoof 1

Huh. I don't think that they are the same thing.

First of all, Flutterbat didn't seem to be rational and I hope that Luna is not employing beasts as her guards.

I'm thinking that Luna's guards are either a different race of pony or that their armor is enchanted so that they look like that.

The big difference I would see is the eyes. Neither real bats nor Flutters in bat-form have eyes like the guards did. Of course, Flutters was continuing to metamorphose over time, so eyes could have been the next change.

Her mental deterioration may have arrested and reversed as well if given enough time. Many modern versions of lycanthropy (meaning the fictional werewolf disease, not the real disease by that name) go the same way, with the victims going feral for a time and then regaining themselves later as they get used to the new hormone-equivalents.

If the bat-ponies are results of a spell, then there is a possible connection as perhaps the unintended side-effect Twilight produced may have been the *intended* effect Luna was going for on her guards. While Luna seems to use illusion, some of the spells she cast in Luna Eclipsed were straight-up transformational, turning inanimate spider toys into animate creatures. I wouldn't put it past her to actually transform her guards rather than use an illusion on them.

If the bat-ponies are a breed of their own (like Larson and Faust have asserted in tweets), then there may still be a connection. If the traits breed true, then the breed may originate in a transformed pony like Flutters.

I still wonder if there's a connection between the bat-ponies and Sombra, given Sombra really looks like a Unicorn version of the bat-ponies' pegasi version, though.