Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

advanced The Trotting Dead

Linux Distro

It's been a year since the infection started. 95% of Equestria has been invaded with Trotters. There haven't been any groups to survive this long...but there are still a few. Some ponies are even making it on their own. This includes a young colt named Linux Distro, a tech junkie before the infection. He hasn't seen another pony's eyes in a year...somehow, he's stayed alive. He runs in, goes out, and stays on the move...until one day in the middle of scavenging an old gas station in the desert, he runs into a buff-looking, tan colt with a torn vest and a crew-cut mane. Linux stared at him awhile....unsure how to approach him. "I uh...name's Linux." He said...

***By the way, if anypony wants to join in, just send me or Comrade a PM so we can find out a way to add you in right. I'm doing this differently, because I honestly have no idea how to RP XD***

Edited by Linux Distro
  • Brohoof 1

Linux looks around the room, looking for the supplies he needs. "So, do you have a group? You a scavenger? Can't be sure at all anymore..." Linux proceeded to gather the supplies in his raggedy saddlebag, looking over to Comrade occasionally, who wasn't fighting for these rare supplies. He just stood there blankly.

• Brohoof 1

Comrade confused for a moment replies "uh no been alone for a long time.... scavenger well sort of I know how to live off the land.... what are you doing" he said to the rummaging pony

Edited by Comrade Courage

(edited)

Linux stand there thinking for a while, ignoring the previous question. "Well, I guess there's strength in numbers...if you're alone there's no need for you to stay put, why don't ya join me? I got your back if you've got mine." "Just grab some necessities you like in your saddlebag. Remember: travel light. We need our necessities always with us, at all times, especially on the run. Got it?" Linux had obviously had experience. He's had people tag along that couldn't keep up, gathered too much, and they had a worse fate. He couldn't be sure, but this colt seemed...different.

Edited by LinuxDistro
  • Brohoof 1

Comrades ears perked up "I got your back" Comrade took Linux's cue and started grabbing things he thought he might need and packed them into his saddlebag he took what Linux said to heart and didn't grab to much "I got it" Comrade was amazed at how much the young pony knew about what to do he felt like he could follow the pony anywhere "so where do we go from here"

Linux and his new comrade Comrade (pun) walked out of the deserted gas station. Comrade had already equipped himself a rusty axe when they met, and he noticed Linux had no weapon. He didn't mention it, however, he figured he had one stowed away or something. "Alright, we gotta move and we gotta move fast. You see that cabin up there?" Linux pointed to a hill, oddly placed in the middle of a desert. "We're gonna set up there for the night. There's a little food up there, but we use it sparingly. Got it?" Comrade nodded and they traveled up to the cabin, and boarded up the windows and doors with some supplies Linux already had by the entrance. They were safe for the night, but Trotters had already come out. Linux laid down on an old mat in the candle-lit cabin smelling like pine trees. After a long silence Linux spoke, "So what's your story? Who were you before the infection spread?"

Comrade turned to face Linux "I was a natural at finding tracks and things to survive off of for a while I worked as a guide but I decided that wasn't for me and I searched for a job that fit me and then one day I met an alicorn named Elijah shy I learned he was the brother of Celestia and Luna I wanted to be a bodyguard for Elijah Shy I was interviewed and got the job then all this happened and now I've fallen back on my training to get me by so I suppose to sum it all up I was a bodyguard hired to protect" he thought about what he had said as if it had been the first time he had heard it in words it made him think if he could have done things different but realised again the situation he was in and pushed the thought from his mind he paused then asked "what were you before all of this"

"I used to be a Runner. I would travel across rooftops relaying information in the corrupted cities. I learned how to stay low, off monitors, and get in, get out. Once all this crazy stuff happened, I just found myself always on the run as before. Get in, get out. Always the same thing..." "I never really had a family to protect or anything, so I just ran further and further away, exploring new places, hoping someday I would find a permanent place to settle...but even I know that's not my nature..." There was a long silence between them. He hasn't spoke to anypony else but himself in what seems a lot longer than a year, and the same seemed for Comrade. "I've never killed one of them." He said. "The Trotters. I don't know how I've survived this long without using a single weapon...I always hated them ya' know? Even when you need them the most..." Linux's ears folded down after this...bad memories of parents, family, and friends flooded his brain. That sort of explained why he had no weapon in an abandoned gas station. But Comrade was still very curious as to what he meant, but found it better not to ask. They both fell asleep in an instance, after eating, and they awoke to a summer morning with Trotters everywhere outside.

"Linux..." Comrade was up and noticed a bunch of figures outside he knew what they were. Linux was up and already trying to figure out how they were going to get out of this. Linux had already packed all their gear Comrade grabbed his axe and walked over to him "you got an idea" Comrade asked Linux looked at him in the eye Comrade could see the colt was thinking as fast as possible Comrade stepped back to give the colt some space to get too think. Comrade stood before him as if before a superior officer "where do you need me" Comrade said Linux looked at him he had the plan and he knew Comrade had his back. Comrade knew his role in this new world it was to protect this pony.

"Well..." Linux honestly had no clue what to do. But, he saw the loyalty in this strong colt's eyes. He was willing to protect a stranger to his death...Linux walked near a window, and looked through a small hole to observe his surroundings. He saw a way into the forest, but they weren't going in the forest, no way. There was a path down to an old house about a mile North. North. They needed to get North...the Trotters have a harder time in the cold, and there's more likely to be people there. "Alright." Linux said. "We're gonna run up to that old house and see what we can get there. There's a ton of Trotter, so we gotta stay low and quiet. Only run if you have to, if they see you running, they'll only attract more, and we'll be trapped inside of that house." Linux wondered if this was going to work..."We use that axe of yours to make a distraction. You throw it as hard as you can at the closest metal object. That should creat enough of a distraction for us to sneak there unnoticed." The two colts stepped outside...

"Alright lets do this" Comrade took his axe from its sheath grabbed it with his hoof he threw it at an old plow that was about 10 yards away it struck so hard it embedded in the plow blade and made a thunderous crack they started moving the Trotter focusing on the plow. They made their way in the direction of the old shack staying as quiet as possible. Comrade was scanning the surroundings and noticed a small Bearberry bush he pointed at it Linux looked nervous he did not want to deviate from their plan but Comrade thought the benefits of the plant outweighed the risk he moved towards the plant slowly the young green colt stayed where he was.

Oh nononono...what's he doing?! Linux thought to himself. There was a zombie slowly approaching Comrade...he'd never killed one before. Comrade just quietly picked the berries while Linux stood in shock with the Trotter approaching him. Finally, adrenaline rushed in, and Linux immediately sprinted over, jumped up and kicked the Trotter in the head. Once it was down, he immediately stomped on its head several times more. Looking at each other, the two stallions discarded their plan and sprinted down the street, grabbing few of the Trotters' attention. They were now in a small western town with many turns along the roads. They had been running for about a mile, exhausted, until the coast seemed clear. They had ran far from where their original objective was, but eventually settled down in an old blacksmith shop. In there they boarded up any exit, or entrance for that matter, they continued doing what they had the night before, until they heard something out from the shadows in their small room. Linux told his friend he'd go check it out. Linux precociously walked into the shadows, armed with a bloody crowbar he found lying in the room, expecting to strike a Trotter at any moment... 

Comrade watched Linux carefully he should have gone Comrade scanned the room he saw an old axe head but no handle he grabbed it and put it in his saddle bag he found a small pouch he put the berries in it Linux was in the shadows Comrade was nervous he could not see him. Comrade followed the stallion into the shadows he could barely see Linux in front of him what could it be Comrade thought probably Trotter but couldn't be sure