Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E07 - Clip Trot

CastletonSnob

Here comes another episode of Tell Your Tale!

Title: Clip Trot
Release Date: April 28th, 2022
Written By: Alex Collier
Synopsis: Pipp tries to get her friends in on a Clip Trot trend, but they aren’t performing to her liking.
Note:

• Brohoof 3

I actually really liked this episode.  While some of the previous episodes have felt a bit rushed or that more could have been done with the content, I feel this one really did work well with its 5 minute running time.  I also thought that it used social media in the story to tell a message about how trends come and go and that it is better just to be yourself was handled decently, and I hope to see if it can be continued to be utilized this well in the series in the future.

• Brohoof 6

Yah know; it's funny that TYT does things so well with it's limited running time. Say what you will about depth and all, but "be yourself" in time when social media seems to encourage so many copy-cats is actually refreshing and relevant! Plus I absolutely love and adore my girl Pipp so this was a big bonus!

Also those fillies at the end were freaking cute!

• Brohoof 5

Clip Trot

I called it "Trit Trot" months ago so I was half right! Woohoo! ^_^

ezgif-6-1da3e506fa93.gif.3b917daf0c2897e71017e9ddad4c9d95.gif :P Seriously, another great Pipp short with super-catchy song! :D

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

This was a really cute episode! I'm glad we got this sort of message so quickly in the series, and for it to be done incredibly well. I also really like how everyone danced in such unique ways! :yay: This might be my second favorite episode so far. 

• Brohoof 3

Normally I would moan about this being another "be yourself" episode, but with the context of social media trends, I do think it is applied well here. It's still the same general message that we have all heard a thousand and one times, but I do think using social media as a vehicle for it is a decent way of making it more relatable for younger audiences. It's nothing I vibe with; I am too much of a crone to really use social media much, if at all, but I do think that this is a decent spin on a tale as old as time. I will add that "be yourself" can actually be counterproductive if you are trying to actually make it big on social media, but that's more of a nitpick than anything.

• Brohoof 4

Eh, not really my favorite.
Two things I'm not into are social media posting and following trends, the latter of which just feels so artificial to me (Though at least that's what the episode was all about, not having to do that.) especially with the whole "That was so last week!" thing.

And yup, they totally went for the freaking out about no signal thing. I get that's fitting for her, and it's comedic, but when characters do that I think it's supposed to make them look ridiculous.
I liked seeing Alphabittle and the pegasus guards again though! And we always get cute gifs out of these, and fun character interactions.
But I'd have to rate this like Posey did.

threestarrating.jpg

• Brohoof 2

This one felt a tad weird to watch because of my extreme dislike of TikTok, the app they were parodying, and I hate to say it, I actually prefer Pony Life's message about social media, better emphasizing the fact that it is a farce. Other than that, it's as okay and harmless as an episode about this kind of thing can be and I enjoyed the debut of Alphabittle. Least favorite episode so far though because the plot is just not my bag. 

• Brohoof 1

This "episode" was five minutes of obnoxious, mind-numbing cringe that has left me questioning the future of G5. Maybe it is just because I despise TikTok and that's what this episode is emulating, but this is easily my least favorite episode of TYT. The constant annoying music playing in the background and the "dialogue" were both irritating. The constant references to what is essentially Equestria's TiKTok, were extremely distancing and reminded me of why I hate the platform so much to begin with. On top of that, there was a scene towards the end showing that almost everybody in "Equestria" was obsessed with these social media trends, not just Pipp and some of her followers.

Equestria was meant to be a fascinating and unique world, but the Equestria shown here looked like an uninspired replica of  the real world. I want to give G5 its fair chance, but things like this really give me my doubts about the whole thing. It seems that the interesting aspects that made Equestria such a fascinating world, are being traded in for cell phones and social media. I'm not giving up on G5 yet, but things like this make me concerned for the direction this franchise is going.

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

One has to wonder how all this modern technology became commonplace throughout Equestria.

Yeah that was what I was wondering! How much time has passed since the movie? Since it seems like even the unicorns of Bridlewood use phones now. It's interesting to continue to see more of the characters from the movie in this new style.

Stop the presses! Did anyone catch that alicorn at 4:00?

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 1

I'll have to get through the two things I hate the most:

1. hip hop
  2. online ratings of popular (click bait) video clips

This episode is not for me. I just can't stand those two things.

For me this episode is the culmination of how I feel about G5 as a whole, so...I think it does its job.  It's as if Hasbro took FiM, removed the bulk of what made it interesting, and replaced it with content that speaks to people of the current decade on a surface level.  At least the movie is good at tricking the mind into thinking you're experiencing something with more depth...not that TYT was really trying to be that. 

Still, this episode is poor even by TYT standards.  First off, we don't really need another Pipp episode IMHO.  She's had the bulk of the spotlight so far, so it's somepony else's turn.  Watch the next episode star Zipp, who is also overused...or maybe it's more accurate to say that the Pegasus sisters have received adequate screen time, and the others have been neglected.  When does Sunny get a turn?  Secondly, we previously got a much better Pipp episode, where she legit messed up and needed encouragement to complete a task.  

More than anything though, this episode calls extra attention to the fact that the awesome fantasy elements of FiM couldn't be further away, and we're stuck with a series about characters living a modern life, with modern things, that relies way too heavily on memes to try and sell it, I guess for those who think "man, I wish I lived in a world with cell phones and social media trends".  Granted, given the reaction thus far to all things G5, it's clear that it's working on a good chunk of the fandom.  So, I guess it's great for those who enjoy things like memes and references to modern culture.  I have expressed that I'm ok with TYT not being all that deep to an extent...but this episode takes it too far IMHO.  On the other hand, maybe it's the best episode ever, because it drops the act entirely and doesn't even try to hide how...sanitized this whole generation is.  

• Brohoof 2

Ugh, this is the first episode I really couldn't stand. We already have people doing all these dumb social media trends. Do we need shows about it??? 

I've accepted that technology is a part of MLP now but we don't need episodes focused on this stuff. :eww:

• Brohoof 2

Oh, and what I said about always getting good gifs and interactions regardless of how good an episode is?

Gifs for your enjoyment

Spoiler

2854733.gif

2854876.gif

2854622.gif

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Oh, and what I said about always getting good gifs and interactions regardless of how good an episode is?

Gifs for your enjoyment

Hide contents

2854733.gif

2854876.gif

2854622.gif

I'll also be surprised if that clip of Pipp saying "*squee* Ponies!" doesn't become a fandom meme.  

7 hours ago, Splashee said:

I'll have to get through the two things I hate the most:

1. hip hop
  2. online ratings of popular (click bait) video clips

This episode is not for me. I just can't stand those two things.

1. Not a fan of bunnies, huh? :P
  2. I don't really understand that either but I thought the song itself was pretty great. :D
  • Brohoof 1

I watched the seventh episode and, while I don’t severely dislike it (it’s five minutes, it’s a very short time), I wonder how you can pull off the message of being original and trends in a 5 minutes episode that’s basically Tik Tok. I wouldn’t say it didn't achieve it, but it’s weird seeing this message in an episode about trends in smartphones.

I think it could fit in a contest for kids for, say, designing slogans, and Pipp used something unoriginal and was disqualified for that, kinda like the Snoopy story of Bill Watterson he shared in one of the Calvin & Hobbes comics.

But it could have been worse. It could have been raining.

And for the people who find it obnoxious: Dude, it's a 5 minutes episode. If it was a 22 minutes episode, then yes, I would agree. But these are very short. Complaining about this is a bit meaningless, you can't say "what a waste of my time".
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Gifs for your enjoyment

Reveal hidden contents

Couldn't help myself. :D

• Brohoof 2

This episode was just boring to me. I don’t like watching things where all characters do is dance unless the dancing is suspenseful, different, or moves the story along besides “Let’s dance everyone!”.

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to S01:E07 - Clip Trot
  • 1 month later...

Know I'm late to the party on this one, as I was and have been late to watching Tell Your Tale and only just marathoned and caught up with all the episodes the past couple weeks. I just thought I should come back and say though, that my usual reception of tell your tale episodes, "that was cute, probably could have elaborated on some of their visions with a plot that sees a screen time longer than 5 minutes..." However with THIS EPISODE, "The Pony" I just see a fountain of weird pony meme videos, trap/electric/hip hop videos, this song, is pathetically simple but adorable and irritatingly catchy, I think it's one of the best things Gen.5 has produced so far...