Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E07 - Newbie Dash

Troblems

256 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Newbie Dash?

• Best. Episode. EVER!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It needed to be about 20% cooler.
    • I would have preferred a 22 minute nap.
    • Worst. Episode. EVER!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd say the biggest problem with this episode is that none of Rainbow's s friends told Rainbow to tell Spitfire the backstory behind her nickname. Rainbow not telling would've been fine if it was called out and the moral was that Rainbow should've told Spitfire from the beginning, but the episode never addresses this point. Instead, the moral is that Rainbow should just deal with having a reminder of a traumatizing moment as a nickname, which just feels wrong.

But I'm not one to say an episode is terrible just because of its moral. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep" had a terrible moral, but it was also a really bad episode. Ignoring the moral, this episode is okay with a few story problems and some good jokes to balance it out to a slightly above average episode.

A bad moral won't make this episode terrible, but it will still lower the rating.

Score: 4/10

This also means that this episode is not my least favorite episode of season 6 anymore.

• 3 months later...

Why is the poll reversed? I almost voted for the complete opposite one.

This episode was quite fun. I especially liked the Flutter-dash part. That was just so funny :mlp_yeehaa:

On 7/26/2018 at 8:55 AM, bigbertha said:

I'd say the biggest problem with this episode is that none of Rainbow's s friends told Rainbow to tell Spitfire the backstory behind her nickname. Rainbow not telling would've been fine if it was called out and the moral was that Rainbow should've told Spitfire from the beginning, but the episode never addresses this point. Instead, the moral is that Rainbow should just deal with having a reminder of a traumatizing moment as a nickname, which just feels wrong

While I liked the episode overall, I definitely agree. Rainbow Dash shouldn't have to be stuck with a traumatizing nickname. I also hoped Dash would tell other members of the Wonderbolts, but too bad that didn't happen.

Edited by qwerE

• 2 months later...

You know rewatching this its pretty obvious the two wonderbolts don't start their descent until after Rainbow Dash is crossing the runway (and really no safe area to cross from one side of that landmass to another without crossing the runway?) so even if she had followed rule 1 they'd have still been on a collision course unless as she said they buzzed her on purpose. Either way not really a good thing as either they deliberately put all 3 of them in danger if Dash hadn't been able to get out of the way to prove a point or they went to land wtihout checking the runway which would mean accidents could happen regularly as its not just the person crossing who's responsible to avoid a collision. If there's someone on the runway you shouldn't start a descent since they weren't even visible when Dash began crosssing.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this episode. While Rainbow does do some really bad stuff, we can still sympathize with her because it all comes from insecurity that we can all relate to. Rainbow just wants to stand out positively to get rid of her old nickname and that is represented in all of her actions. It's like the writers finally remembered what made all the similar episodes from season 2 so good. And it helps that this episode is also really funny. Despite a few misses, gems like "reading rainboom" and "care mare" are too good to be ignored. It's some great cringe comedy.

The only problem is that Rainbow's traumatizing background with her nickname isn't acknowledged at the end. If she mentioned it to the Wonderbolts at the end, or if she said that she's not bothered by it anymore in the scene after, this wouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't happen. The fact that the entire episode hinges on Rainbow trying to get rid of the nickname means that it not being acknowledged at the end makes the episode seem unfinished. This isn't a big problem because the ending does imply that Rainbow is not bothered by her nickname, but some closure would've been nice.

Score: 8/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 4 weeks later...

It was certainly a surprise to see Rainbow Dash finally achieve her dream, joining the Wonderbolts. Of course things weren't what they were cracked up to be at an initial standpoint, which relates quite well off real life and allows me to sympathise with Rainbow.

Rainbow's struggle to find her place on the team is something I can relate to - especially the humorous scenes where she copies her friends' traits to appeal to the rest of the Wonderbolts. While Rainbow's stunt to fly through a lightning cloud was both dangerous and uncalled for, I respect her efforts as she really wanted to win the hearts of her team and didn't feel comfortable being known as a failure. I wish there was a bit more closure in Rainbow accepting her nickname, but aside from that, I enjoyed this episode a lot.

This episode was very disappointing. I was so happy for Rainbow Dash that she finally made it and I couldn't wait to see how it all came together...only to find it did so with a great deal of personal trauma and without a resolution that Rainbow herself truly overcame-instead, we are just told that once she realizes the Wonderbolts do respect her, that they didn't mean it to be that mean but in a more friendly way, she gets over it. She's put through both deep emotional and physical pain, even if self-inflicted, doesn't mean I enjoy watching that. I was worried about Scootaloo, who thankfully was okay.

The more I run through the seasons, the more often I skip this one. I am happy that Rainbow fulfilled her dream, and I knew there'd be a problem to reckon with to get there, but I just wish I could feel happier and enjoy that accomplishment more.

Also, the beginning is cute, but I'm kinda sad that Scootaloo's the one who gets to be more expressive and animated, and Rainbow's just too stunned to do more than a slow, broad smile. I get way more joy out of watching her excitement in Rarity Investigates than I do in anything from this episode.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

This episode turned out really differently then I expected, I thought that her joining the wonderbolts would be more dramatic and happy tuned however turned out completely different. However its not to say I did not like this, I really enjoyed it. The episode showed that even when you achive your goal, its not the end of the journey but the end of one faze and a start to another and not everything you aim for will turn out to be just as you thought it would. The bits of comedy were nice and we got to know the personalities of them more, which is nice as I wish we got an episode revolving around the rest of the WB at some point. 8\10  

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, powergod87744 said:

What's your favorite scene from this episode?

The closing credits.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

This is got to be WORST episode of entire series, in my opinion.

They're SO many things wrong with that episode that I can go forever, but for now, I'll have to say is this:

Who the hell even approve this?! They should've go with Dave Polsky's script because at least it was a hell of a lot better than this!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

My opinion hasn't changed about this one at all. 

Many of us bronies were looking forward to the day we see Rainbow dawned in a Wonderbolt suit, flying with the group she lionized since she was a filly...only for the writers to give us this dumpster fire of an episode. 

Yes, Rainbow may have messed up. Yes, she loves to show off. But that gives the Wonderbolts NO EXCUSE to treat her the way they did. So what if Spitfire and Soarin' had insulting names...? That doesn't mean you continuously bully Rainbow Dash to help her "deal with it". Then in the end we get a lesson that's about "Learning to fit in". Hello???? You completely ignored the biggest lesson of all: It's hard for people to deal with certain things because of their past, and it can only take a true friend to be there for them and help them overcome that obstacle. It's almost like Hurricane Fluttershy, but from a new approach. 

In the end, this was the biggest letdown of all. This episode could honestly perish in tartarus. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

My opinion hasn't changed about this one at all. 

Many of us bronies were looking forward to the day we see Rainbow dawned in a Wonderbolt suit, flying with the group she lionized since she was a filly...only for the writers to give us this dumpster fire of an episode. 

Yes, Rainbow may have messed up. Yes, she loves to show off. But that gives the Wonderbolts NO EXCUSE to treat her the way they did. So what if Spitfire and Soarin' had insulting names...? That doesn't mean you continuously bully Rainbow Dash to help her "deal with it". Then in the end we get a lesson that's about "Learning to fit in". Hello???? You completely ignored the biggest lesson of all: It's hard for people to deal with certain things because of their past, and it can only take a true friend to be there for them and help them overcome that obstacle. It's almost like Hurricane Fluttershy, but from a new approach. 

In the end, this was the biggest letdown of all. This episode could honestly perish in tartarus. 

I couldn't agree more. This episode can screw off.:dry:

Rainbow_Dash_places_her_hoof_on_her_face_S1E07.png.c8252897cbeb41ef09570e0ac878c11e.png

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
On 2016-05-07 at 9:06 AM, Megas said:

Episode went better than expected.

Episode feels exactly like Brotherhooves Social to me. A really "eh" episode for the most part(hilarious middle section aside) saved by a fantastic ending 

I liked it well enough

Man I was in some serious denial when I wrote this. It’s actually kind of insulting to compare this to Brotherhooves since that wasn’t so hellbent on humiliating the episode’s main character 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

I really didn't like this episode at all.  To be honest though, I can't join the throngs defending RBD.  A lot of what came to pass could have been avoided if she had shown a bit of tact, not tried to act like an absolute egotistical showoff, had the guts to tell them why the nickname bothered her, and stopped with the 'I have to be better than all of them' shtick.   As for the arguments against the 'fitting in' aspect ... a team is just that, 'a team' not a solo act.  The majority of this episode simply was not a good look for her.  She had some really good ones prior to this (like season 4 episode 5 and s5 ep 16).

I feel like this was poorly written and poorly executed.  Near the beginning of it, I was hoping it was going to be a heck of a lot better than what it turned out to be.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Adariousmist said:

I really didn't like this episode at all.  To be honest though, I can't join the throngs defending RBD.  A lot of what came to pass could have been avoided if she had shown a bit of tact, not tried to act like an absolute egotistical showoff, had the guts to tell them why the nickname bothered her, and stopped with the 'I have to be better than all of them' shtick.   As for the arguments against the 'fitting in' aspect ... a team is just that, 'a team' not a solo act.  The majority of this episode simply was not a good look for her.  She had some really good ones prior to this (like season 4 episode 5 and s5 ep 16).

I feel like this was poorly written and poorly executed.  Near the beginning of it, I was hoping it was going to be a heck of a lot better than what it turned out to be.

Oh I most agree. I wish they made Rainbow Dash way more assertive than they did. They completely messed up Rainbow's character in this episode and the Wonderbolts were as ignorant as ever, trying to defend themselves calling Rainbow Dash that horrid nickname. 

• Brohoof 1

I loved  this episode.  All the problems could’ve been avoided if Rainbow Dash just told them the name bothered her, but she never did.  One of them even genuinely tried to give Rainbow Dash some words of encouragement and Rainbow Dash arrogantly blew her off. 

Not to say the Wonderbolts were perfect in this episode, either, but the hate this episode gets is overblown imo. 

Also gave me one of my favorite Dash scenes at the end when she took her punishment gracefully, and was grateful to still be a Wonderbolt

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Welp, I'm bored, may as well do another controversial episode. One that I actually enjoy

So about the episode. I remember that this one has plenty of controversy. There were some aspects that do feel kinda of mean such as name calling and teasing, so I think it's understandable why this is the case. Aside from that however, I'd say there are many things for me to like about the episode, especially Rainbow experiencing what it's like to be a fully-fledged Wonderbolt and the bolts disciplining Rainbow Dash on her behaviour, not the continuous ribbing, but the way each of them react to Rainbow's shenanigans

Now for the bad parts. I'm not including the name calling for now as I'll talk about that later, but if there's anything I don't like about the episode, I think it'd be Rainbow Dash acting out the rest of the mane 6. I usually just think of it as cringe and is usually motivated me to skip that part, and since it's a chunk of the episode, it sorta made me miss a few parts when I first watched it. Though I don't think that's enough to make me think of the episode as bad

(I've also touched on the controversial parts and explain my thoughts on them. It's all listed here if you want see it)

Spoiler

Just so we're clear, all of this is my thoughts only. If I'm wrong about something, that's on me

The first I've noticed is the Wonderbolts' behavior and how they were 'bullying' Rainbow Dash. Yes, name-calling can be considered bullying, but from what I've seen, it can also be used as a form of motivation to get someone to do better or a sign that you're part of the group. Heck, I've been called names before, but I've never really let them get to me as back then, I knew they didn't mean any harm. I'm not sure if I can say much for the ones that do, but I doubt they're a reason that you should let it hold you down. There is also another regarding how the name was negatively affecting Rainbow's performance. While that does seem to be the case, I don't think anyone is expected to perform perfectly, let alone on their first day. It's also clear that Rainbow is a capable flier and that the Wonderbolts' have witnessed it more than once, in fact, Rainbow even performed with them at one point. But that's not to say she has inside knowledge as to how the Wonderbolts' perform, let alone tell how she'll perform during her training with the Wonderbolts

The second is that Rainbow Dash should've told the Wonderbolts why does the name 'Rainbow Crash' hurt very much. Well, I think there are several. One of them could be that she's afraid of how the others would react to her if she told them. I wouldn't be surprised if the thought that they'll use it as fuel to bully her even more if she did or tell her to suck it up ended up crossing her mind. Another reason why could be that she thinks telling them is like a sign of weakness. It's been made clear throughout the series that she likes to be the best. Because of this, I think that to her, telling someone, let alone her heroes, that she doesn't want to be called that, might be seen as if she whining to them about not being able to handle the name. Plus, if they did stop calling her the name, I think when the bolts reveal their nickname, it would just seem that Rainbow is being bratty if she's the only one who can't handle their name

The last one is that Rainbow Dash got hit with the idiot stick and was out of character. While there are plenty of times when Rainbow was shown that she did several over-the-top things to get the Wonderbolts' attention, even to the point of changing the routine last minute, I don't think any of them is necessarily out-of-character for her. It's been shown many times that she always wants to get the Wonderbolts' attention, that she jumps to conclusions easily, and gets tunnel-vision when she tries to do something in order to get something she wants. So her acting like the rest of the mane 6 could be that she took it the wrong way and the plan with Scootaloo being part of it is because she's trying to appear more amazing than her performance during training.

I actually like this episode. The Wonderbolts, to me, felt well-portrayed and Rainbow Dash's behavior, while cringy at times, don't feel like it derides the episode as a whole. Yes, there are reasons as to why people hate it, and I think they're rather understandable. I'm one of those people that like the episode, but I can also see why people don't like the episode for the reasons I mentioned.

I'm not a huge fan of that episode. I think it was one of those cases where it was very hard to be a fan of Rainbow Dash considering what she does and what she did. Here, she's completely flanderized here, making the watching process of this episode really frustrating.

To me, Rainbow Dash was a brave character who can be cocky at times, but she really cares about her friends. That's why she represented the element of Loyalty and why I didn't like her portray in Rainbow Rocks.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’m not fond of this episode, at all. It kinda feels like a blunder for something that’s supposed to be an absolutely huge milestone for Rainbow Dash. Her getting into the Wonderbolts was her thing. It should’ve been a celebration of that. Instead we get Rainbow Dash dealing with hazing while she kinda reverts to her early season self character wise. Just a disappointing episode imo.