NavelColt

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Ok i'm confused... I thought this episode was supposed to air tomorrow? How has everyone seen it already?? Just wondering, am I missing something?  :huh:

It was leaked, and we have no self control :unsure:

There's a link back on the first page of this thread, but you're so close, maybe you can make it until the actual release day ^_^

• Brohoof 1

It was leaked, and we have no self control :unsure:

There's a link back on the first page of this thread, but you're so close, maybe you can make it until the actual release day ^_^

Ohhhhhhhh ok lol, didn't know they actually leak full episodes.... I didn't see the link either lol. Oh well, gunna wait till tomorrow anyway haha  :lol:

What was up with Spit Fires cutie mark? I thought it was more of a lightning bolt shape.

post-8163-0-57944500-1355518259.jpg

I think this season is starting to look up. I was a little worried since I didn't like some of the earlier episodes, but the last two have really uped the ante.

Oh and I made a vector of Lightning Dust's cutie mark.

post-8163-0-70841100-1355518500_thumb.png

Edited by Arcus Wind
  • Brohoof 1

What was up with Spit Fires cutie mark? I thought it was more of a lightning bolt shape.

attachicon.gifspitty.jpg

I think this season is starting to look up. I was a little worried since I didn't like some of the earlier episodes, but the last two have really uped the ante.

Oh and I made a vector of Lightning Dust's cutie mark.

attachicon.gifld.png

The Lighting bolt CM was more fanmade rather than canon, seeing as though we'd never seen Spitfire without her wonderbolt outfit prior to this episode no one new what it actually was.

Edited by Regi
  • Brohoof 4

I watched this episode yesterday. Couldn't resist. Felt bad, but hey, it was FREAKIN' AWESOME!

My sister then later watched it and I had to put my hoof in my mouth to stop myself from blabbing about how awesome Dashie was and how reckless Lightning Dust was and what a butt Spitfire was xD

I agree. Although my cousin strongly disagreed I found the Crystal Empire doublet rather... well, it just didn't have the wow for me. But then One Bad Apple was epic, and then Sleepless in Ponyville, oh my, I was in tears :'3

Edited by Appledashforever
  • Brohoof 5

Love this episode, even though it was a little too early

Finally get to see rainbow dash with the Wonderbolts or at least 1 of them. The dizzatron was awesome! what time would lightning dust have if she didn't set it to MAX? would it have been faster? We will never know...

CB

The dizzatron was awesome! what time would lightning dust have if she didn't set it to MAX? would it have been faster? We will never know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nWeJBAymc

Sorry, the encyclopedia of memes that is my brain just couldn't pass that up :lol:

Another thought provoked by this episode... how often do ponies fall to their doom? So often, Rainbow's abilities are the only thing standing between a bunch of ponies and their untimely end. Or maybe it only happens around her, as karmic payback for that race with the bullies in Cutie Mark Chronicles, when they almost killed Fluttershy by knocking her off her cloud and didn't even notice. That scene always makes me cringe right when she would have hit the ground if not for miraculously well placed and strong flying butterflies.

Also, I wish they would have made it clear whether Twilight had cast the cloudwalking spell on all of them, or if compressing a cloud makes it solid enough for regular ponies to land on. It would have been cool if she'd flown alongside the falling bunch for a second to tell Twilight to cast the spell, and then zipped ahead to prepare the landing pad.

• Brohoof 3

Great episode. It was nice to FINALLY see Dash do something with the Wonderbolts, after saving them, hanging out with them, and then hearing pretty much nothing from them for so long. It's nice to see Merriweather write a good Rainbow Dash episode - she's certainly redeemed herself since MMDW.

I thought this episode was AMAZING. The moral was well-done, and Dash acted exactly how I would have acted in that situation. Lightning Dust was a pretty cool antagonist. I really liked how she had Dash's negative qualities amped up a bit, because it allowed Dash to show just how much she's grown as a character. I didn't think Pinkie's actions were stupid at all - I found them to be really sweet. Pinkie's definitely got ADD, as she acted how someone with ADD would act, but I didn't think that was a bad thing. My heart melted a bit at how much she cared for Dash :( Besides, it's Pinkie. Do you really think she wouldn't freak out a bit if one of her dearest friends was away from her? Spitfire's change in VA didn't really bother me, as she's nowhere near to being a main character, but her strict attitude did feel a little weird at first. Not much of an issue for me, though, because it makes sense that she would take Wonderbolts training seriously.

My only gripes with this episode - and these are minor nitpicks - are the lack of Scootaloo and the open ending. Considering the way the episode was done, it would have been nice to hear a bit from Scoots. The episode kinda seemed to just end without being brought to a whole lot of conclusion. Yes, it got brought to a conclusion - with Dust being canned and Dash being re-instated, but it left me wondering: is Dash a Wonderbolt or not? Upon further thought, it seems apparent that Dash has quite a bit more training to do before she can become a Wonderbolt, but feeling confuzzled at the end of an episode is still disorienting nonetheless. I guess we'll be seeing a few more Wonderbolts episodes in the future,  to which I say: :wub: It'll be interesting to see if becoming a Wonderbolt gets in the way of Dash being able to spend enough time with her friends, and what Dash intends to do if this is the case.

Tl;dr - AWESOME episode with a few very minor flaws. 8.5/10.

Edited by Spring Storm
  • Brohoof 3

I watched the episode, I couldn't say no. The episode was good, though I'm not sure how I feel about Pinkie becoming a Blonde. The only part where I was disappointed was when lightning dust was kicked out, season 1 would NEVER do that but instead have her learn from RD. Also, shouldn't spitfire of remembered rainbow for "hanging out" with her at the grand galloping gala, and the sonic rainboom, and saving her life? Seems like spitfire isn't really all that cool. Pretty much it.

• Brohoof 1

Warning: mini rant at Rainbow Dash but mostly the infuriating writing ahead:

MAN IT WAS SO CLOSE.
Ok, Come all ye haters, but I'm really REALLY not a fan of RD. She's arrogrant, douchey, has these glimmer of good pony moments quickly washed out by her bravado and self centered ness. She's the pony of "loyalty" but the only thing I really feel she's loyal to is her ego.
I really want to like her! I do. I'm a rainbow fan, I'm an adventureer fan, I'm even a cocky for the sake of humor fan: but I feel like this character over does the negative and I'm just not happy with her.

So needless to say I wasn't super looking forward to this episode.

On RD's part though: I was overall pleasantly surprised and satisfied with her. This is more of the RD I've been wanting: stands up for what's right, doesn't want to harm others to advance herself, and (eventually) called the wrong-doer out on her shit.

THAT'S the brave loyal pony I've been wanting. I was so happy and proud of RD.....

Which is why I was so SO let down at the end of this episode: not on RDs part, but on Spitfire's part.
Rainbow brought to her attention, and stood up, on a difficult matter. And in giving RD a second chance, she brutally ripped away Lightning Dust's hopes and dreams too. Where was LD's second chance? All the other ponies were mediocre flyers, and RD and LD had the very top most potential of that whole intake, but when she made mistakes, ON THINGS THAT COULD BE LEARNED ABOUT AND IMPROVED ON, she was kicked out of the academy. WTF. W.T.F. Where was LD's second chance? Where was her opportunity to learn and improve? Wouldn't it have been a better moral to the story for her to acknowledge her mistakes and learn from them? Hell, wouldn't it have been loyal and courageous and RIGHT for RD to stand up for these lessons?

We JUST had Trixie redeem herself and take a lesson away from the situation, why not for LD? WTF WRITERS?! WTF.

peh. So peeved. SO.

It's the exact same BS what with what happened with Gilda. No opportunity for learning, or what's right. No, apparently others outside the main six aren't given second chances. Ponies outside the main six get ONE chance, and if you f**k up you become the scum of the earth who's humiliated and torn apart regardless of how many of your hopes and dreams were on the line too.

GYUUUUH SO NOT COOL. Where the heck is Love and Tolerate now!? WHERE.

Edited by MulberrySprig

I just watched the episode, couldn't resist it anymore.

I absolutely loved it. It's got to be one of my favorites so far in Season Three. The only real problem I had with it was the fact that Pinkie Pie was getting a bit too.. Iduno a good word for it that doesn't make it sound like I'm insulting her.  <_< She seemed a bit too.. Wild? Maybe. She just needed to calm down a tiny bit and I feel kinda bad for saying that 'cause I love her. I mean, she's Pinkie Pie, who couldn't possibly love her?

Anyway, I thought Spitfire came off as a little too rude to Rainbow Dash, but I'm guessing that was only because she was trying to be tough to everypony and not show signs of favorites. She wanted them all to try their best of course.

And finally.. Lightning Dust.. Oh my god. That pony. Iduno about everypony else, but even though she put Twilight's, Fluttershy's, Rarity's, Applejack's and Pinkie Pie's lives at risk, I have to admit she's made it into my favorite ponies.   ;)

Edited by CleverGirl

Caught the leak.

This was an okay episode. Didn't like how Spitfire acted towards Rainbow though. Did she suddenly develop amnesia? Anyways, Rainbow acted out of character for like a minute. Not a big deal, but she was concerned about the other trainees when she and Lightning Bolt got ahead of them. Isn't she supposed to be really competitive? Speaking of Lightning Bolt, WOW. I loved her character. Her personality was likable, and her design was awesome. She didn't get a happy ending, but she is easily my second or third favorite pony. Imo, this episode was great because of her character. 

Also, this episode had a cute Pinkie/Dash moment.

• Brohoof 1

Man, you guys who are complaining about Spitfire's shift in attitude need to read the post about how drill sergeants act.  <_<

And they didn't use the fanon cutie mark for her :( I am disappoint.

Me too. But it is understandable. They wouldn't want to steal a fan's work. And if they bought the rights to it, they'd be flooded with fans trying to get them to buy the rights to their OC's and other fanon.

I really don't like how they're making Pinkie into more and more of an airhead in each episode. I remember back in season 1 where she was the random one, not the clueless one. The random, useful, knowledgeable one. Then in season 2 I guess they needed a naive pony to run from Luna and... sigh,....

Agreed. I've never been a Pinkie fan, but I admit see has moments where she is absolutely adorable. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.

• Brohoof 3

I have a feeling Celestia really wants a letter right now. She hasn't gotten one in this season yet. That must make her sad face.

EDIT: I liked the episode as well. :P It's nice to see Dash do something like this. I personally find her a lot more likeable then she was in Sleepless Ponyville.

Edited by Firebolt

I'm going to write or draw something Lightning Dust-related. She's too good of a character and much too tough and cocky to simply give up (after all, RD herself was kicked out of a similar facility when she was younger). LD has a lot of potential, and obviously she had passion. There's plenty of reasons why she would be so eager to push herself.

RD had some good moments of loyalty in this one, I was glad to see her actually act okay. I still don't care for her much, though, maybe because she only seems to act when her friends are truly in danger...

THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT Lightning is great :3

Merriweather Williams ruins everything she touches, every episode she writes pretty much has at least 1 glaring annoyance, it's been said before, Spitfire was out of character, didnt like her new voice, wondering why the changed it, the plot was inconsitent with the rest of the series...Sadly it's canon now, I really don't think Williams understands the show or the characters.

It just seemed like they trivialized Rainbow Dash's dream, and it made absolutely zero sense as to why Spitfire totally forgot or didn't mention knowing Rainbow Dash beforehand at all. And what's with the drill seargent thing? I mean it's played for laughs but Spitfire but being harsh and abbrasive is the last thing I'd imagine.

I liked everything else though, it's just sad to see something with this much potential turned to Meh, because the same mediocre writer hops on it.

Thinking about how Spitfire acted around Dash, I suppose she could have been just acting like a typical Drill Sergeant, or maybe, maybe she hit her head too hard on that water tower cover in Secret of my Excess, perhaps causing some sort of amnesia and having her forget Rainbow Dash? :o

/silly ridiculous overanalyzation

Anyway, I was very happy to see Chunky, or Snowflake, or Roid Rage, or whatever you call him back, YEAH!

mlp__best_yeah___by_the_oddcouple-d4tzgj

• Brohoof 4

To be honest, I don't think the people who are claiming Spitfire was "out of tune", realize what they are truly implying. For instance:

Lets say she had acknowledged rainbow dash in front of the others... as someone who is in a position such as a drill sergeant, that would not have made any sense at all. She's not supposed to be your friend or say things like "Oh hey I know you! You're a good kid." No, that would have broken my suspension of disbelief terribly. Now concerning spitfire's so called "change in attitude":

Have any of you seen Hell's Kitchen? If so you'll be familiar with an individual called Gordon Ramsay. Many people think of him as a rude individual... when he is in the kitchen drilling people on cooking. Outside of the kitchen, he seems totally different doesn't he? Very likeable, fun-loving and outgoing. This is the occurance of what I believe the writers were aiming to convey with Spitfire. The flight school is to her as Gordon Ramsay is to his kitchen. The circumstances of the gala, and the sonic rainboom, were highly different. 

At the best young fliers thing, spitfire and the other wonderbolts were judges, and part of the prize of winning that competition was spending a day with them. Hell's Kitchen had similar times where some of the contestants spent days with Gordon Ramsay, just chilling around and having some fun. That is what it was, and it in no way demonstrated spitfire's ability to drill academy students. So it's not applicable. 

At the grand galloping gala, the wonderbolts went as celebrities pretty much. As demonstrated by the constant pictures being taken from even the upperclass ponies. Do you think you'd see Spitfire's drilling expertise there? No, not in the slightest. So again, not applicable. 

I believe I have demonstrated that this episode showed the "Work" side of Spitfire. What she does as a living as opposed to places she goes to out of obligation to some duty to perform. This is how she drills young fliers. That is her work. Criticizing that merely shows a lack of knowledge about how such concepts work in reality. Which is understandable because I doubt everyone is familiar with Gordon Ramsay. 

Edited by Something Interesting
  • Brohoof 9

To be honest, I don't think the people who are claiming Spitfire was "out of tune", realize what they are truly implying. For instance:

Lets say she had acknowledged rainbow dash in front of the others... as someone who is in a position such as a drill sergeant, that would not have made any sense at all. She's not supposed to be your friend of say things like "Oh hey I know you! You're a good kid." No, that would have broken my suspension of disbelief terribly. Now concerning spitfire's so called "change in attitude":

Have any of you seen Hell's Kitchen? If so you'll be familiar with an individual called Gordon Ramsay. Many people think of him as a rude individual... when he is in the kitchen drilling people on cooking. Outside of the kitchen, he seems totally different doesn't he? Very likeable, fun-loving and outgoing. This is the occurance of what I believe the writers were aiming to convey with Spitfire. The flight school is to her as Gordon Ramsay is to his kitchen. The circumstances of the gala, and the sonic rainboom, were highly different. 

At the best young fliers thing, spitfire and the other wonderbolts were judges, and part of the prize of winning that competition was spending a day with them. Hell's Kitchen had similar times where some of the contestants spent days with Gordon Ramsay, just chilling around and having some fun. That is what it was, and it in no way demonstrated spitfire's ability to drill academy students. So it's not applicable. 

At the grand galloping gala, the wonderbolts went as celebrities pretty much. As demonstrated by the constant pictures being taken from even the upperclass ponies. Do you think you'd see Spitfire's drilling expertise there? No, not in the slightest. So again, not applicable. 

I believe I have demonstrated that this episode showed the "Work" side of Spitfire. What she does as a living as opposed to places she goes to out of obligation to some duty to perform. This is how she drills young fliers. That is her work. Criticizing that merely shows a lack of knowledge about how such concepts work in reality. Which is understandable because I doubt everyone is familiar with Gordon Ramsay. 

I have yet to see a post that hits the nail I was trying to convey. Everyone seems to believe there's the 'Spitfire was out of character' group, and then there's the 'she was fine' group. I know I'm in the middle, for one. I loved her being like this, because it makes sense. What I don't like is that the episode didn't include a single moment where she was slightly more like what she used to be. Since they didn't do that, we now have two completely separate sides of Spitfire, that have not been shown to be the one and same pony. This is why I really hope we see her again, and that she can display both, or at least reaffirm that she's fully capable of being laid-back.

Basically, the writers made a big jump in character for her, and have not made them blend together, cross or come after one another at all yet. There's laid back Spitfire from season two, and there's bad-ass Spitfire from this episode. There is no bridging from one to the other, yet, which simply doesn't feel right. I guess calling it bi-polar with no in between is the best comparison. I just want to see her at the very minimum give hints to both sides of her personality in an episode, and not just be full-steam ahead on one or the other if possible.

That's my issue.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

i saw that episode, and its pretty good.im gonna watch it again because when i was first watching it i couldnt hear much because i was at a restaurant and it was loud.dont ask me how i got wifi at a restaurant.

I have yet to see a post that hits the nail I was trying to convey. Everyone seems to believe there's the 'Spitfire was out of character' group, and then there's the 'she was fine' group. I know I'm in the middle, for one. I loved her being like this, because it makes sense. What I don't like is that the episode didn't include a single moment where she was slightly more like what she used to be. Since they didn't do that, we now have two completely separate sides of Spitfire, that have not been shown to be the one and same pony. This is why I really hope we see her again, and that she can display both, or at least reaffirm that she's fully capable of being laid-back.

The writers made a big jump in character for her, and while head canon of 'oh, she's just doing it because she has to' theory works fine, I personally want to see it on the show, because as it is, it just doesn't feel right.

While I realize what you are saying, I can't agree with your basis. She was never teaching a class in the other episodes. If she seemed like two separate people then that is entirely the point of the exercise. She is not the laid back pony when it comes to drilling academy students. Why? Because that wouldn't make sense for an academy. Not just any academy either. This academy is probably the most prestigious in all of Equestria. That is not something that can just be taken lightly and in a laid back manner. Think more in a military sense. I can promise you that drill sergeants are not the same way when they are out of uniform and not in an academy setting. 

The individual, Gordon Ramsay, would have the same issue that you are complaining of Spitfire. Perhaps you are talking about having a setting in which Spitfire's academy skills can be demonstrated along with an opportunity for her to show her laid-back side that was shown in previous episodes outside of the academy? Because to be honest, being laid back and as quiet as she was before would not have made this a believable episode.

• Brohoof 1

While I realize what you are saying, I can't agree with your basis. She was never teaching a class in the other episodes. If she seemed like two separate people then that is entirely the point of the exercise. She is not the laid back pony when it comes to drilling academy students. Why? Because that wouldn't make sense for an academy. Not just any academy either. This academy is probably the most prestigious in all of Equestria. That is not something that can just be taken lightly and in a laid back manner. Think more in a military sense. I can promise you that drill sergeants are not the same way when they are out of uniform and not in an academy setting. 

The individual, Gordon Ramsay, would have the same issue that you are complaining of Spitfire. Perhaps you are talking about having a setting in which Spitfire's academy skills can be demonstrated along with an opportunity for her to show her laid-back side that was shown in previous episodes outside of the academy? Because to be honest, being laid back and as quiet as she was before would not have made this a believable episode.

I don't expect you to agree with my basis, because this isn't criticizing :3 I'm saying what I don't like personally, and that I, personally, would have found it more enjoyable if they hadn't just shown her gung ho, full on opposite of what she's always been up till now. That's all.

Also, I -was- treating it as an intense military-like situation. I don't mean I want her to not be the way she was during the actual training, but maybe show an off-scene where she's communicating with a non-student on a lunch break or something. She doesn't need to be laid-back like she was, just cooled off slightly more than she was depicted throughout the entire episode.

I don't expect you to agree with my basis, because this isn't criticizing :3 I'm saying what I don't like personally, and that I, personally, would have found it more enjoyable if they hadn't just shown her gung ho, full on opposite of what she's always been up till now. That's all.

Also, I -was- treating it as an intense military-like situation. I don't mean I want her to not be the way she was during the actual training, but maybe show an off-scene where she's communicating with a non-student on a lunch break or something.

This is a discussion in fact. My goal being to understand your idea completely and totally. 

So help me understand. You'd have preferred to see her act in a manner that would be as if she was not in an academy, in an episode that took place where she worked at the most prestigious (presumably) flight school in Equestria? Do not take that statement by itself without realizing that it is the crux of what you are proposing. In regards to the lunch...

There is limited air-time available. Because this was not a Spitfire specific episode, showing Spitfire talking with her peers would have distracted from the whole point of the episode. That point being a critical plot device concerning one of the main characters. Because Spitfire is not a main character, nor does she have any plot devices of her own to even be remotely concerned about. So in terms of a breakroom scene, I think the writers didn't want to spend airtime on details that were not essential to the episode's cohesion of character development. 

• Brohoof 1

This is a discussion in fact. My goal being to understand your idea completely and totally. 

So help me understand. You'd have preferred to see her act in a manner that would be as if she was not in an academy, in an episode that took place where she worked at the most prestigious (presumably) flight school in Equestria? Do not take that statement by itself without realizing that it is the crux of what you are proposing. In regards to the lunch...

There is limited air-time available. Because this was not a Spitfire specific episode, showing Spitfire talking with her peers would have distracted from the whole point of the episode. That point being a critical plot device concerning one of the main characters. Because Spitfire is not a main character, nor does she have any plot devices of her own to even be remotely concerned about. So in terms of a breakroom scene, I think the writers didn't want to spend airtime on details that were not essential to the episode's cohesion of character development. 

I get that.

No. She was perfect the way she was. I don't want her to be like she was (completely laid-back like in past episodes), but just something, anything that was slightly more cooled off than she was depicted throughout the entire episode, which was nothing short of R Lee Emery. I feel it'd have been better to just have a minor inclusion like that.

I get that, too. Just saying what I'd ideally like.

• Brohoof 3

Warning: mini rant at Rainbow Dash but mostly the infuriating writing ahead:

MAN IT WAS SO CLOSE.Ok, Come all ye haters, but I'm really REALLY not a fan of RD. She's arrogrant, douchey, has these glimmer of good pony moments quickly washed out by her bravado and self centered ness. She's the pony of "loyalty" but the only thing I really feel she's loyal to is her ego.I really want to like her! I do. I'm a rainbow fan, I'm an adventureer fan, I'm even a cocky for the sake of humor fan: but I feel like this character over does the negative and I'm just not happy with her.So needless to say I wasn't super looking forward to this episode.On RD's part though: I was overall pleasantly surprised and satisfied with her. This is more of the RD I've been wanting: stands up for what's right, doesn't want to harm others to advance herself, and (eventually) called the wrong-doer out on her shit.THAT'S the brave loyal pony I've been wanting. I was so happy and proud of RD.....Which is why I was so SO let down at the end of this episode: not on RDs part, but on Spitfire's part.Rainbow brought to her attention, and stood up, on a difficult matter. And in giving RD a second chance, she brutally ripped away Lightning Dust's hopes and dreams too. Where was LD's second chance? All the other ponies were mediocre flyers, and RD and LD had the very top most potential of that whole intake, but when she made mistakes, ON THINGS THAT COULD BE LEARNED ABOUT AND IMPROVED ON, she was kicked out of the academy. WTF. W.T.F. Where was LD's second chance? Where was her opportunity to learn and improve? Wouldn't it have been a better moral to the story for her to acknowledge her mistakes and learn from them? Hell, wouldn't it have been loyal and courageous and RIGHT for RD to stand up for these lessons?We JUST had Trixie redeem herself and take a lesson away from the situation, why not for LD? WTF WRITERS?! WTF.peh. So peeved. SO.It's the exact same BS what with what happened with Gilda. No opportunity for learning, or what's right. No, apparently others outside the main six aren't given second chances. Ponies outside the main six get ONE chance, and if you f**k up you become the scum of the earth who's humiliated and torn apart regardless of how many of your hopes and dreams were on the line too.GYUUUUH SO NOT COOL. Where the heck is Love and Tolerate now!? WHERE. 

You get a second chance if you acknowledge what you did was wrong and feel remorse for it. Lightning Dust almost killed five innocent people and didn't even care, the only person she felt sorry for was herself after she was kicked out. I don't blame her for being sad about that, but self-centeredness, and recklessness are terrible traits for a Wonderbolt. What happens if she tries out a stunt that takes out members of the audience at a Wonderbolts show? That would go over wonderfully. It would be idiotic to make Lightning Dust a wonderbolt as she is now, even if she was the second best trainee, because temperament, the ability to put others first, and basic respect for the health of others are things that a wonderbolt can't afford to do without.

• Brohoof 1