• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/149-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: Wonderbolts Academy
Air Date: December 15, 2012
Synopsis: Rainbow Dash can't believe her luck when she gets an exclusive invitation to enroll at Wonderbolt Academy, but soon she is wondering whether she is really cut out for the school and whether someone else would be a better fit

Well look at that. The episode made it's way onto the internet four days early :3 For those who can't resist, hunt it down through Google or whatnot, watch it and have fun. Please don't go throwing this into stauses and blogs everywhere though, this is spoilers to it's purest form.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 8

Don't suppose you'd like to re-lock this topic until Saturday? :)   I get that you want to have a thread open for anypony who chooses to watch the episode early and wants to post about it, but as DashForever said, it'd be a darn shame if those who post on Saturday have to scroll past a bunch of spoilers, maybe even a couple of pages worth.

• Brohoof 1

Don't suppose you'd like to re-lock this topic until Saturday? :)   I get that you want to have a thread open for anypony who chooses to watch the episode early and wants to post about it, but as DashForever said, it'd be a darn shame if those who post on Saturday have to scroll past a bunch of spoilers, maybe even a couple of pages worth.

Feld0's demands :3

"Treat it like Saturday morning. Get the topic made, have the episode embedded in the calendar, etc. No reason not to, really. We might as well capitalize on this."

Why is scrolling hard? You just click the last page of the thread, and drag the bar down in two seconds xD; Sorry I just don't see the argument.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

Feld0's demands :3

"Treat it like Saturday morning. Get the topic made, have the episode embedded in the calendar, etc. No reason not to, really. We might as well capitalize on this."

Well, he's the boss, so I gotcha, your hands are tied.  Guess I'll just avoid the episode and this thread until Saturday like the plague.  Though I have to ask; have you seen it yet?

For those of us who watched, lets get discussing! :) I'll keep it in spoiler wrapping for now.

That ending was pretty open-ended. Probably a lot more open than many of us were hoping, but I'm glad that does warrant the opportunity for more Wonderbolt episodes in the future.

I still question Rainbow Dash's future in the Wonderbolts. Even if Spitfire came around in the end, Dashie still reinforced her priority to the loyalty to her friends, even above the Wonderbolts. If the academy, and maybe a future life as a Wonderbolt, takes her away from her life with everyone in Ponyville...are those sacrifices she'd be willing to make?

Edited by Lightning Dust
  • Brohoof 1

Didn't enjoy it as much as Sleepless in Ponyville, saying that right upfront. And that's looking at it from a non-biased 'Scootalove became canon hnnng' perspective. It wasn't as memorable or well-done, overall, IMO. Very good, but not as good.

Honestly, I enjoyed, but two things really bugged me.

1. There was more Spitfire. No, this was awesome, it's one of the three things I've wanted to see in Season 3 for a long time. But, her voice actor has apparently changed, and I'm not a fan of the new one. Maybe she'll grow on me though, who knows. Also, I get she had to be a bad-ass drill sergeant and all, but she never even once came off as the laid-back person she used to be, she came off as a totally changed personality. Nitpick nitpick, didn't care for that either. Also, prepare yourselves, endless DashXSpitfire fics are coming.
  2. What was with that ending? The most open-ended thing ever. It's almost as open-ended as a two-parter, if the episode didn't have it's clear climax and resolution. I guess it opens the floor to hearing more about this down the road, but it's now left to 'will Dash officially become a Wonderbolt? What will happen when she does?' Woohoo, more discussion material, at least.

That aside this was a very interesting episode with a good resolution. I like that it came around with Dash winning out because she wasn't being over-the-top like L.D. So yeah, good. Will probably post more tomorrow when I'm not about to pass out from tiredness.

• Brohoof 11

I'm suprised and somehow not suprised that this episode came out early...

Anyways... Onto the review...

It was expected that rainbow would get into the wonderbolts... Having a school to become a wonderbolt was well done!

I was expecting a sonic rainboom or something... But no... I have a feeling that we may or may not see less of rainbowdash... And excuse, send her to school... Lol...

Anyways! Great rainbowdash episode!

(I should get into doing full video reviews)

This is one of my favorite Rainbow Dash episodes yet, if not one of my favorite episodes yet. 

I love it when one of the mane 6 ends up representing their element in an episode.  I have been reminded why Rainbow Dash deserves to be label "Awesome" with this episode.  Yeah, it's open-ended, but that means we get to see more of Rainbow Dash possibly joining the Wonderbolts.  At this point, it seems very likely she will.

• Brohoof 6

Released four days early? That's gotta be an academy record. Oh shut up Swoop

For someone who tends to watch the series rather passively these days, the episode didn't really strike me as particularly memorable, however that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable nonetheless - particularly for one written by Merriwether Williams. I was glad to see that Dash was able to come across as confident without the associated arrogant undertones we've been met with in previous episodes, and like others, I can't say I was a fan of the new Spitfire VA, though considering her role as a drill instructor, the voice seemed to fit her character well enough.

Pinkie's typical comedic overreactions came across as a mix of both humorous asides, and filler that could have been better spent expanding upon Thunder Dust's character shift from congenial to reckless. Whether the episode could have done without them comes down to your opinion of Pinkie's character in general I suppose. As for the ending, It did seem to leave a few loose ends; whether or not rainbow continues her training, let's just hope that the academy doesn't suffer the same unacknowledged fate as her pet tortoise.

sy61m.pngWhere are the friendship letters these days?

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 12

Haha! This should send joy coursing through the souls of every RD fan, 'cause she just became fourth in my mane six pony list. But she's still overrated IMO.

Anyway, I liked this episode quite a lot. My favorite of Season 3 by far. Great plot, fun to watch, etc.

However. 

Lightning Dust was very generic. She's a lot like RD in Season 1 and 2, arrogant and not caring particularly about anypony else's needs. 

Spitfire...well, I liked her. But...what? Perhaps she didn't remember Hurricane Fluttershy when RD and the other pegasi spun the tornado, because she was so much stricter and acted as if she didn't even know Rainbow Dash.

Pinkie Pie was really, really annoying. I don't care that she cared a lot for RD, it just got to me.

Ashleigh Ball didn't put a lot of...well...voice into Applejack's lines. 

The "omgosh omgosh omgosh" line was overused.

I liked the cliffhanger especially, though. Is Rainbow Dash gonna continue being in the Wonderbolt Academy? That's an interesting question there.

Overall great episode.

• Brohoof 3

Haha! This should send joy coursing through the souls of every RD fan, 'cause she just became fourth in my mane six pony list. But she's still overrated IMO.

Anyway, I liked this episode quite a lot. My favorite of Season 3 by far. Great plot, fun to watch, etc.

However. 

Lightning Dust was very generic. She's a lot like RD in Season 1 and 2, arrogant and not caring particularly about anypony else's needs. 

Spitfire...well, I liked her. But...what? Perhaps she didn't remember Hurricane Fluttershy when RD and the other pegasi spun the tornado, because she was so much stricter and acted as if she didn't even know Rainbow Dash.

Pinkie Pie was really, really annoying. I don't care that she cared a lot for RD, it just got to me.

Ashleigh Ball didn't put a lot of...well...voice into Applejack's lines. 

The "omgosh omgosh omgosh" line was overused.

I liked the cliffhanger especially, though. Is Rainbow Dash gonna continue being in the Wonderbolt Academy? That's an interesting question there.

Overall great episode.

Ha ha! Your defenses are crumbling at last!

My personal interpretation of Spitfire in this episode is that she knows that she has to be impartial, so she's not acknowledging things like Dash having saved her life because even thinking about it might impair her ability to judge her performance.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 7

I honestly have to say I really loved the episode,

Rainbow Dash was less arrogant this time around and we even got to see Snowflake (those who are wondering, Snowflake is the giant buff pony with the tiny wings) and Pinkie's Megaphone in the beginning of the episode was bucking hilarious :lol:

The biggest downside to this episode would have to be Spitfire's new voice...

It seemed WAY too cliche to me.

Ha ha! Your defenses are crumbling at last!

Sweetie! It's not as easy as that. There's a reason why she's still not my favorite pony, or even close to that. Just because I liked her in one episode doesn't mean I'll like her anywhere else. :3 And Applejack remains forever the most lovable to me.

I wonder how Motion Spark and Shankveld are going to react to this...will there be no more RD haters? 

I hope the next episode won't disappoint me. AJ needs less haters/dislikers more than Rainbow Dash. 

• Brohoof 1

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode! I clicked on the above link (the early video) and told my self I would only watch the first 5 minutes and save the rest for Saturday...that didn't happen. Watched the whole thing. lol

I thought it was a great episode. For once, we get to see the softer side of Rainbow Dash...Dashie, I knew you had it in you! Good job! 

I won't comment too much, because critiquing every part is not my thing. But Spitfire: At first, I didn't really take to her new voice. But after the episode, I liked this version of Spitfire, and I think its now safe to say this is how they wanted to portray her. 

I am sure everyone will be asking "Didn't Spitfire know who Rainbow Dash was?" And to that I say: When you are a military drill Sargent or equivalent, you treat everybody (or everypony) the same. It's about the team, not the individual. So she may have just avoided her bias of previously knowing Dash for saving her life and Hurricane Fluttershy...well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

Great episode! 

Cheers! 

PS: I kinda feel a little bad for Lightning Dust. She just needs probation and a lesson. I hope she is not kicked out!

Edited by Steel Matt
  • Brohoof 3

Sweetie! It's not as easy as that. There's a reason why she's still not my favorite pony, or even close to that. Just because I liked her in one episode doesn't mean I'll like her anywhere else. :3 And Applejack remains forever the most lovable to me.

I wonder how Motion Spark and Shankveld are going to react to this...will there be no more RD haters? 

I hope the next episode won't disappoint me. AJ needs less haters/dislikers more than Rainbow Dash. 

I don't expect you to like her more than Applejack. I've resigned myself to the fact that that's never going to happen, since in that one blog post of yours you proved that you're about as much of an insane fan as I am ;). But I am encouraged by the fact that she's climbed your list a tad.

I'm sure there will still be Dash haters after this episode. If people attacked her after that heartwarming last episode ( and some did) then something like this won't sway them. As for the people you mentioned, we'll see I guess.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we are getting a good Applejack episode this season and I can't wait for it.

• Brohoof 3

I just watched the episode. It was leaked :3

I won't drop any spoilers, but OMAGOSH!!!! 

Seriously, Rainbow Dash was awesome in that episode. 

This ties Sleepless in Ponyville for best episode of Season 3 so far.

• Brohoof 1

Warning, total spoilers below. ^^

Well, this is one of the better episodes by Merriwether Williams so far. She handled Rainbow Dash much better than in Mare Do Well. Dash was confident without being egotistical, plus she got to save all her friends, so that was awesome too. I'm not too keen on the Wonderbolts school resembling a military academy. That seems like the kind of place where they would train Pegasi soldiers or guards, not a small troupe of traveling stunt performers. I liked Spitfire's old voice (and personality) better, and Pinkie Pie did too much yelling...but I loved the potential for PinkieDash all the same. ^_^ All told, this episode is missing some of the depth and intangibles that made Sleepless in Ponyville an instant classic, but it's quite good for what it is.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

Man, I was up and read that it leaked on EqD, I just couldn't resist finding it and watching it. :blink:

An interesting episode. I tend to like most of Merriwhether Williams' episodes save Mare Do Well, and this one was pretty good too. A long time coming was Rainbow Dash's entry into the Wonderbolts, and I say this was not bad for her first outing, and I rather liked Lightning Dust, nice to see a pegasus who can finally keep up with RD. Also, Cloud Chaser and Chunky returned! How cool was that? Pinkie waiting by the mailbox was typical Pinkie, and who doesn't love typical Pinkie? There were also a few unanswered questions- what was in the care package? Did Twilight cast the cloudwalking spell on everypony(probably yes, but I'm still curious lol)? Why didn't Pinkie wear her mustache(damn teasing promos)? Yeah silly questions, but I couldn't find much to dislike here, although if there was one thing it was the total 180 with Spitfire's personality, but I think she was just doing her job really, plus we finally got to see her out of her costume outside of fan art. So yeah, not an amazing episode, but a damn good one I say.

How I would rank the episodes so far:

1. Magic Duel

2. The Crystal Empire

3. Wonderbolts Academy

4. One Bad Apple

5. Sleepless in Ponyville

6. Too Many Pinkie Pies

Woah, epic episode. I loved every minute!

I wonder what was in that care package... A gift for Moondancer?

No Derpy. I am sorely disappointed. Still, it was a great episode and great to see Raindrops and Snowflake, those two are starting to grow on me. Regarding Spitfire: there a time to be nice and there's a time to be tough. Spitfire was nice during the Gala but she had to be hard at the Academy because, well, there are cadets to whip into shape!

• Brohoof 2

Of course I'd watch this. It's not like I have to study for finals or anything.

Spoilers:

Return of the steroids pony! (don't know his name)

Was Spitfire's voice always like that?

The balloon!

Unicorns and earth ponies can stand on super-compressed clouds and sky dirt? Then again Twilight might of given them cloud-standing spells, after all they were going to cloudsdale.

Pinkie needs to visit a psychiatrist. I don't think she has a healthy mental state.

Edited by RBDash