Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E07 - Newbie Dash

Troblems

256 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Newbie Dash?

• Best. Episode. EVER!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It needed to be about 20% cooler.
    • I would have preferred a 22 minute nap.
    • Worst. Episode. EVER!

OK, that was kind of amazing.  Major kudos to Ashleigh Ball on all of the Mane 6 voices, ESPECIALLY combining her RD voice with her AJ voice, that was impressive.  :toldya:

• Brohoof 7

Okay, so I guess I can see what's happening here - they gave her the one nickname that actually hurts her feelings, and it's probably giving her anxiety during her training exercises. I can see this as plausible, but we'll see if it's gets out of hand...

Great point. Words can hurt like hell and impede on what you do because of the psychological effect.

• Brohoof 3

"And you saved Equestria like a dozen times!"

OMG IT WAS FINALLY SAID!

• Brohoof 10

While I do like this episode, I have to admit that there were some pretty cringey moments in it.

Probably the most cringey episode of the season so far.

• Brohoof 3

"And you saved Equestria like a dozen times!"

OMG IT WAS FINALLY SAID!

More like she was adjacent to the purple one who did the saving for most of that, but suuuuurrrrrrrre...

I know that this ep was not the best or anything but I really liked it. I am not sure what it was about this ep but I found it really enjoyable. The only thing I did not like was the dash slapstick, this gets a bit cringe. 

• Brohoof 4

Alright, that conclusion made some of Dash's cringeworthy decisions worth it.  It's understandable that Dash would be freaking out after just getting into the Wonderbolts, especially if she made a bad first impression, but the fact that the Wonderbolts treated it as a normal step for any newbie makes perfect sense and their behavior not mean-spirited so much as simply a growing pain that every Wonderbolt would have to go through.  Having played on sports teams in the past, I can attest that this is something that a lot of members of sports groups go through, so I like how things wrapped up.  I'll cover this more in my full review.

• Brohoof 8

I hate to say it, but I wasn't a fan of this episode. The ending was alright, but otherwise, there were a lot of cringeworthy moments and about half way through I was basically like "okay i'm just going to play dream team/terraria."

Probably a 4.. maybe a 5.. out of 10

• Brohoof 1

There was some cringe; no way's around it. And it was hard to watch because of it.

However the absolutely WONDERFUL ending and strong start really helped to make up for it, as well as the realization how words can have a psychological effect on someone.

That said, this gets a like from me. :)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Episode went better than expected.

Episode feels exactly like Brotherhooves Social to me. A really "eh" episode for the most part(hilarious middle section aside) saved by a fantastic ending 

I liked it well enough

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

this is the episodes I"ve been waiting for for YEARS.

it was so clear that rainbow needed to learn that being a wonderbolt was about teamwork and not solo prowess...

That said, this was the worst fullfilment of a desire ever.

too painful to watch with the volume on...

I was hoping rainbow would learn it in a FAR less painful way.

Also, I hate that they justified the hazing.  

"wow they were really mean to me, but they are really mean to everyone so its ok!"

The payoff was ok, but not worth the journey  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2016-05-07 at 11:49 AM, Radiance64 said:

lol what is Rainbow Dash doing

Ashleigh is just doing all the characters as Dash :lol:

Hey, I haven't seen you here in almost forever!

Also, I give this episode a 3/5 (much like last week's). There was quite a bit of cringe, but nothing too OOC or anything, and the ending was ultimately the redeeming factor.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 3

A little bit awkward of an episode... but I'd say it stuck its landing well enough to make the name calling not that bad, and it made sense for Dash to act the way she did because she's shown fears for stuff like this before. I'm just glad she's a Wonderbolt now though.

I liked it well enough.

• Brohoof 2

Ever been the smartest kid in highschool ... then go to college? I'm glad to see that mentality touched on a little in this episode. RD actually failing a little was something that I felt was needed to make her an better balanced character and I think they came close to that mark here.

Dash is also honorary Rarity!

Also, muscle memory almost made me vote wrong. O___O

• Brohoof 11

There was some cringe; no way's around it. And it was hard to watch because of it.

However the absolutely WONDERFUL ending and strong start really helped to make up for it, as well as the realization how words can have a psychological effect on someone.

That said, this gets a like from me. :)

I think I'll describe the episode in my review as the Batman v Superman of the season so far.  Undoubtedly flawed, but far stronger than someone might think at first glance once you get past the flaws and highlight the gems in it.  That said, this WILL be a polarizing episode, I'm sure.

• Brohoof 2

It needed to be about 70% cooler.

I mean the Rainbow Crash nickname is a military thing.  That bit made sense.

Having the nickname shake her was fine, but Rarity should have stepped up more.

Her impersonating all her friends was cringeworthy.

Her coming back to do a 100% perfect performance until the showboating didn't make sense after the failures in practice.

The wonderbolts reaction at the end was very much NOT in character for them compared to everything before it.

---

It was jarring after jarring after jarring.

• Brohoof 2