Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does FIM encourage underage drinking?

Twilight Mist

Nah there's no reason to think a kids show would encourage underage drinking and over-indulging on cider. 

Except for the "punched has been spiked" line which i feel was intended for adults

I see I stepped over a mine... I'll try to explain my meaning without being stupid.

We are talking about a cartoon here.

Blaming the victim and pointing to stuff and saying "this is excusing people to actually rape someone" are very different things. In the first, I make excuses to say that the rapist should be excused because, say, "she was dressed like a slut". I think everyone that has half a functional brain can see that this is stupid.

In the second, someone is pointing to a work of fiction and saying that it drives people to commit bad acts. This is wrong. People should be able to see the difference between fiction and reality and be able to keep them separated. If they can't, the problem is with them. Not the cartoon/book/movie/whatever.

I wasn't talking about MLP... And if you were, I have no idea how you can compare rape culture to a cartoon suspected of encouraging kids to drink.

Anyway, this is neither the time nor place to talk about it, so I'm ending it here.

I'll say one thing on this so as not to de-rail the thread.

Just because someone finds a joke about something funny, doesn't mean they don't think committing the crime in real life isn't horrible. That whole thing is logical fallacy of the same breed as blaming video games for violence. It's also completely ignoring the fact that most civilized cultures consider rape one of those unforgivable and horrible crimes that even the calmest and most rational person in the room would scream for blood over and our media that plays is serious even considers it a way to show that a villain is truly a monster with no redeeming traits.  

Those things combined must mean there's a far different reason it happens(like, I don't know, some people are just deplorable monsters and we need to stop blaming media for it so we deny that human beings can be so unforgivably evil "just because") 

I'm not trying to get heated on this discussion, so please don't take it that way.

Saying that rape culture doesn't exist because it's logic is flawed or that it somehow ignores that most civilized cultures consider rape to be bad is... doing exactly what you just said.

The logic is not flawed. I can't link you to any statistics, though I wish I could, but I've done enough reading to know that a lot of hate crimes and group murders start because someone "jokes" about it. I could probably find you some specific and recent cases, if you so desired. And video games do not make people violent, I know that. The same way that joking about rape doesn't make someone a rapist. However, making a lighthearted stab at rape is the same as someone going, "I don't agree with rape, but..." Besides, it's still a completely unfunny topic in the first place and the actually psychology behind rape humor is very interesting. It's like the old saying goes, "There's always a grain of truth in every joke".

It's also a well known fact that not EVERY person in developed and civilized countries think rape is bad or that rapists are to blame. These are statistics I can show you, if you wish. It's the truth and fact that a LOT of rape cases are never taken to the police because women (and especially men) are never believed. "Well you WERE drunk" "You can't rape a guy" "Your skirt was a little short, you know" "Did you say yes first?"

For a fun fact, think of this: Books/Movies/Games/TV shouldn't be blamed for the actions of people? Recall the book "Rage" by Stephen King; that book was entirely blamed for a few school shootings because it was found in the possession of the gunmen. Or even the murder of John Lennon. That guy was nuts but he inspired by a book.

I don't think media forms should be blamed, it's the individuals actions. And I'm definitely not saying every person who ever made a rape joke is responsible for person X being raped by person Y. But joking about it? It trivializes the situation.

Just... these civilized places you speak of are not perfect. And if they were how you said they are and EVERYONE is really so against rape, then why does it happen? Why are women still fighting to be heard? Why are people still being blamed for it? And why do people still think it's funny?

It seems even americans are misguided as to what they call cider is. Cider is specifcally raw unpurified apple juice. Also, while most people just use the term cider, it is actually Sweet Cider. Hard Cider or Apple wine, depending on how alcoholic it is, is used to decribe what most of europe know as cider. Here's a link for more info. 

http://www.spirittreecider.com/the-cidery/what-is-cider.html

I wasn't talking about MLP... And if you were, I have no idea how you can compare rape culture to a cartoon suspected of encouraging kids to drink.   Anyway, this is neither the time nor place to talk about it, so I'm ending it here.

I don't think you understood what I'm really talking about. Yes, I'm talking about the cartoon, but it's also about, maybe, blaming it if children start drinking alcoholic beverages. It's about education and blaming the perpetrator (the real one). I just say that you can't blame media for what people do. Or use it as an excuse. You talk about blaming the victim, but when you say that certain jokes shouldn't exist because they "trivialize" something you making the perpetrator AND the joke share the blame.

But if you want to leave it at that, okay.

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't talking about MLP... And if you were, I have no idea how you can compare rape culture to a cartoon suspected of encouraging kids to drink.

Anyway, this is neither the time nor place to talk about it, so I'm ending it here.

I'm not trying to get heated on this discussion, so please don't take it that way.

Saying that rape culture doesn't exist because it's logic is flawed or that it somehow ignores that most civilized cultures consider rape to be bad is... doing exactly what you just said.

The logic is not flawed. I can't link you to any statistics, though I wish I could, but I've done enough reading to know that a lot of hate crimes and group murders start because someone "jokes" about it. I could probably find you some specific and recent cases, if you so desired. And video games do not make people violent, I know that. The same way that joking about rape doesn't make someone a rapist. However, making a lighthearted stab at rape is the same as someone going, "I don't agree with rape, but..." Besides, it's still a completely unfunny topic in the first place and the actually psychology behind rape humor is very interesting. It's like the old saying goes, "There's always a grain of truth in every joke".

It's also a well known fact that not EVERY person in developed and civilized countries think rape is bad or that rapists are to blame. These are statistics I can show you, if you wish. It's the truth and fact that a LOT of rape cases are never taken to the police because women (and especially men) are never believed. "Well you WERE drunk" "You can't rape a guy" "Your skirt was a little short, you know" "Did you say yes first?"

For a fun fact, think of this: Books/Movies/Games/TV shouldn't be blamed for the actions of people? Recall the book "Rage" by Stephen King; that book was entirely blamed for a few school shootings because it was found in the possession of the gunmen. Or even the murder of John Lennon. That guy was nuts but he inspired by a book.

I don't think media forms should be blamed, it's the individuals actions. And I'm definitely not saying every person who ever made a rape joke is responsible for person X being raped by person Y. But joking about it? It trivializes the situation.

Just... these civilized places you speak of are not perfect. And if they were how you said they are and EVERYONE is really so against rape, then why does it happen? Why are women still fighting to be heard? Why are people still being blamed for it? And why do people still think it's funny?

This is de-railing, if you want to discuss it further, take it to PM with me and Moonlight so we don't disrupt the thread more than we already have, 

Edited by Shoboni

Though there is foam on top of the mugs. Usually only hard cider has foam.

Buuut... If it is booze I think the writers were only teasing it. Cider means different things depending on region. Spiced apple juice served warm is cider over here.

I would agree with saying that the foam means that its alcoholic. Over here in the UK though cider is just about never non-alcoholic and as previously mentioned it's just the cultural difference. I guess at least this means we can say we're cultured...

Ironic seeing as both the US and Canada are derived from the UK that the difference has developed.

I would agree with saying that the foam means that its alcoholic. Over here in the UK though cider is just about never non-alcoholic and as previously mentioned it's just the cultural difference. I guess at least this means we can say we're cultured...

Ironic seeing as both the US and Canada are derived from the UK that the difference has developed.

Technically, it would foam if it was carbonated as well. Given that it's apparently under pressure as it's dispensed from an overhead tap, not a pump, and fizzles when it runs try, it's either carbonated or fermented. When barreled, it's just poured into an open barrel and the top hammered on, yet they almost immediately hand the barrel over for dispensing. There isn't time for fermentation. Best guess would be that when they tap it, they're using a venturi effect nozzle to draw the cider out of the barrel, like an airbrush. What? I was a Chemical Engineer many a moon ago, it's the way I think. ;)

Basically they're making this: Sparkling Apple Cider

Standard cider is just sliced apple juice while hard cider has the alcohol in it. However, the apples in Equestria seem to produce their own alcohol when cider season comes around.

Thus resulting in every adult pony wanting it.

I don't think MLP FiM is purposely trying to influence children to drink. I think the staff put in that cider season episode for a joke towards the adults.

Little kids wouldn't be able to come to the conclusion that that apple juice is alcohol. They're too young to know what hard cider is.

(Hopefully)

• 7 years later...
On 2014-01-30 at 2:09 PM, Twilight Mist said:

I come from the south west of england where almost all the booze produced is cider,and trust me, I have never ever seen non alcoholic cider!

In America, apple cider is usually a non-alcoholic drink. In England, it's an alcoholic drink. It's a cultural thing.

I dont remember any drinking lol. My mind always imagined the cider to be apple juice thats how much I drink (none). Actually in Japan cider just means lemonade xD I don't remember any drinking scenes if anything i think it encourage kids to eat lots of healthy apples