Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does FIM encourage underage drinking?

Twilight Mist

It doesn't matter what they make in the United States or England or the rest of the human world - it's Equestria...Not Human cider and as far as I know the writers of the show haven't suggested in any way that the cider produced at Sweet Apple Acres is alcoholic.

• Brohoof 1

I still think they should chance the name to apple juice. Here in England cider has a very bad repution. Because its the cheapest drink available (even cheaper than water!) Its the teenage alcoholic drink of choice.

As has been stated repeatedly, different cultures have different terminology and just because that's what it brings to mind in your area, doesn't mean it brings that to mind for everyone else. I could just as easily flip that(note: this hypothetical as I'm "straight edge" for lack of a better term and my only vice is caffeine) around and ask "what do you have such a problem with booze?" if I was from somewhere like Germany where it isn't taboo or considered crude to crude to drink.    

Edited by Shoboni

If it's clear and yellow, you got juice there, fellow!

If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town!

I find it funny that everyone keeps saying, "It's a cultural difference" and yet the main creator of this thread keeps ignoring those posts and going, "BUT ALCOHOL. ENGLAND. YARRR"

Society has become so stupid... It's the same as the "rape culture" crap that goes all over everywhere.

Also, I feel I need to quote this. Rape culture is a real threat to our way of living and should not be trivialized like you have done so. Because of rape culture, women are blamed for being raped because joking and laughing about it makes it okay and funny and socially acceptable. If people would just think for a moment and realize, "Hey, there are people out there who are drugging, beating, raping, and sometimes killing other people for sexual pleasure. Maybe I shouldn't make this rape comic where the rapist is the hero of the story" then maybe something crazy would happen. Something crazy like blaming the perpetrator and not the victim!

This is just another case of stupid over analyzing, I doubt a kid is going to watch a show and say, oh hey you know what I'm going to go grab some cider out of the fridge and drink 10 pints >_> 

Ok, little boys and girls. Let me tell you something.

Did y'all see how they actually made the cider? They just squeeze the juice out of the apples with that thingy! Nothing else was added to it. That's basically the same way of making apple juice! Ooooooooh~!

Ok, little boys and girls. Let me tell you something.

Did y'all see how they actually made the cider? They just squeeze the juice out of the apples with that thingy! Nothing else was added to it. That's basically the same way of making apple juice! Ooooooooh~!

In the word(s?) of Big Mac, "Eeyup."

Um...hate to break it to you..... But...... ITS NON ALCOHOLIC CIDER!!!!!....... And their shown drinking it ... Twice? Maybe?

So the answer to your question is no.... Alcoholic parents encourage underage drinking... Not ponies...

• Brohoof 1

This is why I hate this notion that everything has to be a role model these days...

The show has drinks in it because ponies have drinks in Equestria, as per the script. It's not some message to little children: DRINK!! DRINK ALCOHOL! DRINK! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

Society has become so stupid... It's the same as the "rape culture" crap that goes all over everywhere. 

And honestly the ponies shown "drinking" are 18 to 20, and the drinking age in most other parts of the world beside murica is 18 to 20, lol....so meh.

Ehhh.. maybe? Good question. I would think not just because...well I watch the show and I don't go around wanting to drink cider because our favorite ponies do it (then again, I'm 19).

If it's clear and yellow, you got juice there, fellow!

If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town!

I find it funny that everyone keeps saying, "It's a cultural difference" and yet the main creator of this thread keeps ignoring those posts and going, "BUT ALCOHOL. ENGLAND. YARRR"

Also, I feel I need to quote this. Rape culture is a real threat to our way of living and should not be trivialized like you have done so. Because of rape culture, women are blamed for being raped because joking and laughing about it makes it okay and funny and socially acceptable. If people would just think for a moment and realize, "Hey, there are people out there who are drugging, beating, raping, and sometimes killing other people for sexual pleasure. Maybe I shouldn't make this rape comic where the rapist is the hero of the story" then maybe something crazy would happen. Something crazy like blaming the perpetrator and not the victim!

I see I stepped over a mine... I'll try to explain my meaning without being stupid.

We are talking about a cartoon here.

Blaming the victim and pointing to stuff and saying "this is excusing people to actually rape someone" are very different things. In the first, I make excuses to say that the rapist should be excused because, say, "she was dressed like a slut". I think everyone that has half a functional brain can see that this is stupid.

In the second, someone is pointing to a work of fiction and saying that it drives people to commit bad acts. This is wrong. People should be able to see the difference between fiction and reality and be able to keep them separated. If they can't, the problem is with them. Not the cartoon/book/movie/whatever.

• Brohoof 2

When I managed a produce department, I would order in apple cider about once a week. It had to be refridgerated, and I know it was non alchohalic because in Alberta you can't sell liquor in any place that's not a liquor store. I don't know the history of apple cider, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a drank drunk drink or just a regular drink.

When I managed a produce department, I would order in apple cider about once a week. It had to be refridgerated, and I know it was non alchohalic because in Alberta you can't sell liquor in any place that's not a liquor store. I don't know the history of apple cider, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a drank drunk drink or just a regular drink.

Plus I remember in school once we went on a field trip to an apple farm, and we all got a taste of apple cider! Non alcoholic of course!

Considering they never get drunk and it's never mentioned there's alcohol, no I don't think it encourages it in the least.

Not all cider is alcoholic (in america anyways) regardless, since it's never mentioned or shown anything about being drunk I don't think it matters.

I've never wanted beer because I saw them drinking cider in FiM. Besides, there's nonalcoholic cider out there too. In any case, is this to also say that apple ale is the second drink of choice in Ponyville? 

Regardless, and with all due respect, I'll drink a beer when I damn well please! :lol:

If 

I'll say one thing on this so as not to de-rail the thread.

Just because someone finds a joke about something funny, doesn't mean they think committing the crime in real life isn't horrible. That whole thing is a logical fallacy of the same breed as blaming video games for violence. It's also completely ignoring the fact that most civilized cultures consider rape one of those unforgivable and horrible crimes that even the calmest and most rational person in the room would scream for blood over and our media that plays it serious even considers it a way to show that a villain is truly a monster with no redeeming traits.  

Those things combined must mean there's a far different reason it happens(like, I don't know, some people are just deplorable monsters and we need to stop blaming media for it so we can stop denying that human beings can be so unforgivably evil "just because") 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I seriously doubt they are encouraging underage drinking...if you are talking about the cider 6000 episode it does seem like they where making it seem like cider was beer but It was probably for humorous reasons and for the adults to enjoy the show as well...besides the mane 6 could be in there 20s...and have you seen Regular Show they make soda seem like beer...