Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does FIM encourage underage drinking?

Twilight Mist

No, the show does not encourage underage drinking. They drink cider because, it's the only beverage source that they have around in Ponyville plus the cider isn't alcoholic it's just normal apple cider. I don't see the problem. :P

It's more to humor than anything else.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 4

But then if it was non-alcoholic it would be apple juice. For cider to be cider it has to be fermented.

In the US(and Canada I assume because both cultures are so much a like) Apple Cider is assumed to be non-alcoholic(it just means it's prepared a certain way, usually spiced and made to be drunk warm) and the kind with booze in it is actually specifically called "Hard Cider" to denote the difference.   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 4

But then if it was non-alcoholic it would be apple juice. For cider to be cider it has to be fermented.

Untrue. Cider refers to non-alcoholic, simple Apple Juice as well as for the alcoholic one. It just depends on the region of Canada/US.

• Brohoof 1

Untrue. Cider refers to non-alcoholic, simple Apple Juice as well as for the alcoholic one. It just depends on the region of Canada/US.

Only in the US and Canada, almost everywhere else where it's common considers it alcoholic by default unless it's specifically stated it's not, that's why this episode is so funny to people int he UK, for example.   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

In the US(and Canada I assume because both cultures are so much a like) Apple Cider is assumed to be non-alcoholic and the kind with booze in it is actually specifically called "Hard Cider" to denote the difference.   

Yes, if the show was referring or specifically stated that it was an alcoholic drink like what you said, "Hard Cider", then it would encourage that. But since the episodes showed ponies drinking cider created by the Apple family, I think we can all agree that it's just Apple Cider, nothing alcoholic. 

• Brohoof 1

I come from the south west of england where almost all the booze produced is cider,and trust me, I have never ever seen non alcoholic cider!

Key word, England. As I said, North America(where the show is made) uses different terminology and non-alcoholic cider is extremely common.

Yes, if the show was referring or specifically stated that it was an alcoholic drink like what you said, "Hard Cider", then it would encourage that. But since the episodes showed ponies drinking cider created by the Apple family, I think we can all agree that it's just Apple Cider, nothing alcoholic. 

Exactly. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Well, lets look at it this way: You say it has to be fermented. Show me the moment in which the cider had time to ferment in the SSCS 6000 episode, which thoroughly presented its production, and then we'll talk ;D

Plus, it seems as if that cider is season-exclusive. Therefore, it is not kept for fermentation but rather consumed at once.

• Brohoof 2

Considering they never opening show any drinking or anything like that, I'd say as with anything that could be a symbol it only does if you look for it to do so. It's sort of like intent vs. interpretation. Many people believe that the show does, but I think it's clear that the writers didn't intend that. Apple cider is just a very tasty drink, so it makes sense that characters would crave it. It's probably meant to be the equivalent of candy or something.

Trust me as someone who can down a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow (a well known cider brand here in england) cider is very alcoholic!

The show is intended for American audiences. In America the word "cider" refers to non-alcoholic cider. It's just a cultural thing.

Though there is foam on top of the mugs. Usually only hard cider has foam.

Buuut... If it is booze I think the writers were only teasing it. Cider means different things depending on region. Spiced apple juice served warm is cider over here.

The apple cider reminds me of beer and I really like beer even if I am not 18. I don't see anything wrong with drinking this type of alchohol so in my opinion.

Trust me as someone who can down a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow (a well known cider brand here in england) cider is very alcoholic!

I've never actually seen alcoholic cider here in Michigan. All of our cider is just a differently prepared apple juice, usually spiced. Alcoholic cider is different entirely.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I still think they should chance the name to apple juice. Here in England cider has a very bad reputation. Because its the cheapest drink available (even cheaper than water!) Its the teenage alcoholic drink of choice.

Edited by samuelkingsley

I still think they should chance the name to apple juice. Here in England cider has a very bad repution. Because its the cheapest drink available (even cheaper than water!) Its the teenage drink of choice.

Why though? It's just a cultural thing. Some words in American English mean different things in British English. It's just a matter of recognizing the different dialects. We will never be able to change everything to match one dialect.

NOPE! its all for the humour, I doubt anyone will be influenced to drink beer from MLP.

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL.

OT: Nah. Like others have said, it's a cultural thing. Cider can be alcoholic or non alcoholic.

This is why I hate this notion that everything has to be a role model these days...

The show has drinks in it because ponies have drinks in Equestria, as per the script. It's not some message to little children: DRINK!! DRINK ALCOHOL! DRINK! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

Society has become so stupid... It's the same as the "rape culture" crap that goes all over everywhere. 

• Brohoof 4

I come from the south west of england where almost all the booze produced is cider,and trust me, I have never ever seen non alcoholic cider!

This is a North American thing. Technically, cider, root beer, ginger ale and all that are all alcoholic. At least, in their origin forms. Usually only as alcoholic as small beer. However, the production of non-alcoholic versions of these drinks became big business over here during the Prohibition era. To the point that it's hard to find the alcoholic versions now. Non-alcoholic cider is simply juice from the same types of apples used for alcoholic cider. Cider apples are different from eating apples, as they are usually slightly sour in taste.

In any case, the cider produced at Sweet Apple Acres is processed and served way too quickly to have fermented. Unless there's some special Earth Pony magic involved.

• Brohoof 2