Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

PonyTube?

Sonicrules831

Ok, I found this on Google Plus this morning but apparently a YouTube for bronies is coming soon! I am NOT working with this. I just thought I could go out and spread the word about this and help them get noticed. So apparently they're making a place where you can share videos, music, art, and fanfics. So it's like YouTube, DeviantArt, and Soundclould all in one for bronies. I think this is a pretty cool idea, what do you all think? Again, I'm just spreading the word about it, no affiliation with it.

Watch this: (They also have a mascot named Tubey, look at the end of the video)

• Brohoof 11

It'll be nice if it happens.

The issue here is managing to pull it off when every sect of the fandom's creative force is scattered. You have the musicians over here, writers over there, artists wandering around FurAffinity, EqD, Deviantart and Facebook like nomads. Getting everyone to unite on one site might be hard. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 4

Reading through the comments on the video, it sounds like it'll be a user-driven aggregrator and not exactly a full-blown video hosting site for bronies. So, something akin to EQDMusic but (hopefully) better, and supporting more content sources.

I could be wrong, but video hosting is expensive, and there isn't a great deal of money to be made in pony fan sites. At any rate, I'm interested in seeing how it develops.

• Brohoof 3

Well this is interesting now is a ponytube coming up. I have one thing to say I hope this idea come out good.

On tell then I wait and see how it come out.

That all Fox Out!! B)

• Brohoof 1

As awesome as this is, I can't help but feel like we're literally standing above the crowd in terms of other fandoms. This is both a good and bad thing, but I like it. The fandom is becoming more like a closely nit community instead of just another face in the crowd of fandoms, and I'm proud to see how we can come together like this.

• Brohoof 2

I hope it works out. It's a good idea in theory. Maybe if it stays afloat, they can partner with the ponyverse and we could access them straight from MLP forums. 

But if they're even going to become a fraction of what Youtube or even Metacafe, Dailymotion or Vimeo can do, they are going to need some substantial money and serious hardware/software to manage that amount of data. 

• Brohoof 1

The problem I see with this is the same problem with Google Plus:

Everyone already has sites for these things that they've grown loyal to. You're going to find it near impossible to convince them to switch. Consider that you're trying to compete on a MASSIVE scale. You're essentially competing with FiMFiction, and Equestria Daily in the Fanfiction department. You're not going to draw loyalty away from those sites, and because your covered area is so vast you're not going to be able to give one area a big enough focus. The site's name is "ponytube" so you're not going to win over a lot of writers and artists because if the focus is on video, they will find themselves overshadowed.

Not to mention most bronies know they will get more famous through YouTube, so they are just going to use that. I also suspect that this site will use Youtube as a host because hosting the files for a lot of brony videos would be damn near impossible for a tiny group to do. So if that's the case it'll more or less be Youtube with a skin.

You compete against Youtube, you're going to have a bad time.

Reading through the comments on the video, it sounds like it'll be a user-driven aggregrator and not exactly a full-blown video hosting site for bronies. So, something akin to EQDMusic but (hopefully) better, and supporting more content sources.

I could be wrong, but video hosting is expensive, and there isn't a great deal of money to be made in pony fan sites. At any rate, I'm interested in seeing how it develops.

So then it's going to be sort of like Gorilla Gong then? (Only with Brony stuff instead of machinima.) That works too!

I typed an eloquent post on my thoughts and then clicked a button by accident and ended up losing it all.

The short version since I'm not redoing my long version is that if this is a way to bring the creative elements of the fandom together, it'll be awesome.  If it turns into a way to circumvent Hasbro's copyright, it'll do nothing but disrupt the delicate relationship between us and Hasbro and force Hasbro to take a hard-line approach.

I typed an eloquent post on my thoughts and then clicked a button by accident and ended up losing it all.

The short version since I'm not redoing my long version is that if this is a way to bring the creative elements of the fandom together, it'll be awesome.  If it turns into a way to circumvent Hasbro's copyright, it'll do nothing but disrupt the delicate relationship between us and Hasbro and force Hasbro to take a hard-line approach.

That was something I was wondering about myself actually. Though since it's doubtful content will be hosted on site, I doubt that'll happen.

My issue is that the scale they are shooting for is far too large. They are essentially going "a little of everything", but most of these things have sites that have built up loyalty to their users and it's going to be hard to convince them to start using another site.