Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Theorems of the My Little Pony Universe!

SamMaher

Hey!

The title's pretty self explanatory. Basically, this is a thread where the Bronies can theorise and work out just how the My Little Pony Universe might work, or what exists and what doesn't. Basically, a debate thread for My Little Pony.

How about I start us off: How does magic work?

One can't explain how magic works however i believe all ponies are magic but only unicorns and alicorns have the horn needed to use this magic

Indeed, it would seems that all ponies (and other races too!) all have inherent magic, but onlu Unicorn and Alicorns (and dragons to a certain degree) can use it consciously.

Maybe the reason the unicorns and alicorns can utilize their magic is the horn is a conductor or something to that extent.

Yes, and perhaps Equestria hold different forms of elements to Earth. Either that, or physics changes the useless elements on Earth to have different properties when introduced to Equestrian physics.
  • Brohoof 1

I believe that they all have magic, only horned ponies can use it, but others can conduit it, like when the elements flow from the mane 6 for example.

Also remember the title is 'friendship is magic' so all friends have magic as well :)

Actually, Pegasus were confirmed to have magic by Lauren Faust. That's how they walk on clouds is what she said.

Yep. I also believe that they have magic that affects their wings. The wings shown in the series are impossible for something at such a small size and such a thickness.

I believe that they all have magic, only horned ponies can use it, but others can conduit it, like when the elements flow from the mane 6 for example.

Also remember the title is 'friendship is magic' so all friends have magic as well :)

Yes. Perhaps the five EoH are what makes up the magic that is used everywhere!

Imagine how much magic power Pinkie Pie would have and if she had a horn she is basically god and would have unlimited power. Although she would probably use it to make it rain candy.

I actually believe that Pinkie, although pure with Harmony magic, also has a somewhat undetectable core of chaos magic or something.
  • Brohoof 1

Something doesn't add up to what we've seen on magic in the show. You've got your regular magic, and the next grade of that is 'harmonical' magic which can be triggered with the elements of harmony... Only the opposite of harmony is not chaos. I know this sounds weird, but isn't the opposite of chaos order, and shouldn't harmony be the balance between the two of them? This counts for dark magic as well. Harmony does not cancel darkness, light does. But we haven't seen any light or order fashioned magic in the show yet. Does this mean that the elents of harmony are actually some sor of super magic morphers that can assume any kind of magic to cancel out it's oppostie, balancing everything back into harmony? Does this mean there are beings of order and light as well? This is something I think about alot...

Something doesn't add up to what we've seen on magic in the show. You've got your regular magic, and the next grade of that is 'harmonical' magic which can be triggered with the elements of harmony... Only the opposite of harmony is not chaos. I know this sounds weird, but isn't the opposite of chaos order, and shouldn't harmony be the balance between the two of them? This counts for dark magic as well. Harmony does not cancel darkness, light does. But we haven't seen any light or order fashioned magic in the show yet. Does this mean that the elents of harmony are actually some sor of super magic morphers that can assume any kind of magic to cancel out it's oppostie, balancing everything back into harmony? Does this mean there are beings of order and light as well? This is something I think about alot...

You'd think so. The EoH are just there to restore peace and balance to the world. Not overtake it. I guess there would be order magic as well.

Yes, and perhaps Equestria hold different forms of elements to Earth. Either that, or physics changes the useless elements on Earth to have different properties when introduced to Equestrian physics.

The physics being different is a very plausible idea, also it's possible there are magic genetics giving alicorns, unicorns, dragons, Discord the ability to manifest it in their way, pegasi in their way, and the EoH allow the earth ponies as well to use it

• Brohoof 1

The physics being different is a very plausible idea, also it's possible there are magic genetics giving alicorns, unicorns, dragons, Discord the ability to manifest it in their way, pegasi in their way, and the EoH allow the earth ponies as well to use it

Yes. Then again, I wonder what would happen to us if we went there. We don't really have any normal bodily defences, but to survive over the centuries, we've used our minds and our brains. Would our brains go overload?

Or would we just turn into a furry-like thing?

I think everypony has their way of magic

I mean, for an example, Fluttershy can understand animals...this is nothing usual for everypony

Would that be a form of 'Cutie Mark' magic? Fluttershy's stare and her understanding of animals seems to be a product of such a thing, as you just stated.

Yes. Then again, I wonder what would happen to us if we went there. We don't really have any normal bodily defences, but to survive over the centuries, we've used our minds and our brains. Would our brains go overload?

Or would we just turn into a furry-like thing?

Whether or not we turn into a furry-like thing I think we would survive. The power of our brains would obviously be a plus, but I don't think being magic-less would be too much of a hinderance, most earth ponies live their entire life without the help of magic and they are fine and it seems the ones who do (Applejack and Pinkiepie) were doing just fine before they received the EoH.

Whether or not we turn into a furry-like thing I think we would survive. The power of our brains would obviously be a plus, but I don't think being magic-less would be too much of a hinderance, most earth ponies live their entire life without the help of magic and they are fine and it seems the ones who do (Applejack and Pinkiepie) were doing just fine before they received the EoH.

Yes, loss of magic will not be too much of a downside. Besides, I'd pass time constructing one of Davinci's flying machines if I ended up without magic as a human there...

Then again, the lack of magic on our world might affect us and attack our bodies when we entered, either killing, stunning or crippling us. Or we might just end up immune to magic...

Yes, loss of magic will not be too much of a downside. Besides, I'd pass time constructing one of Davinci's flying machines if I ended up without magic as a human there...

Then again, the lack of magic on our world might affect us and attack our bodies when we entered, either killing, stunning or crippling us. Or we might just end up immune to magic...

Good point, perhaps the magic isn't just all around but only manifested in the ponies so that, of course if a pony used magic against us we wouldn't fare well, but other than that maybe we'd be fine.

Time for some nerdy theory. WARNIG: Over analysis in action!

Okay. All unicorns are mage's. Horn is a "key" to magic. Probably, there are nerve inside the horn, who directly associated with the brain. Unicorns have they own "magic stamina" - A conditional indicator of how long unicorn can do magic until not tired, we can call it "mana" like in RPG games. Horn is a natural magic wand. Perhaps if horn will be damaged very much, unicorn can lose all magic abilities. And about how magic works. As like I said, horn directly associated with brain. Unicorn sacrificed some of her "mana" for create a spell. Brain impulse with help of "mana" are pass through the horn, and then spell starts to work.

Now about pegasi, and their ability to stay on clouds. Yes, it's a magic, but it's a passive magic ability what every pegasi has scinse his/her born. Passive magic what no needs magic energy.

Pinkie Pie... Well it's a phenomen, she's unical creation. I have my own theory about Pinkie http://mlpforums.com/topic/82186-the-creator-of-everything-or-the-primal-chaos-theory/

Edited by zev_zev
  • Brohoof 1

Okay. All unicorns are mage's. Horn is a "key" to magic. Probably, there are nerve inside the horn, who directly associated with the brain. Unicorns have they own "magic stamina" - A conditional indicator of how long unicorn can do magic until not tired, we can cal it "mana" like in RPG games. Horn is a natural magic wand. Perhaps if horn will be damaged very much, unicorn can lose all magic abilities. And about how magic works. As like I said, horn directly associated with brain. Unicorn sacrificed some of her "mana" for create a spell. Brain impulse with help of "mana" are pass through the horn, and then spell starts to work.

Now about pegasi, and their ability to stay on clouds. Yes, it's a magic, but it's a passive magic ability what every pegasi has scinse his/her born. Passive magic what no needs magic energy.

Pinkie Pie... Well it's a phenomen, she's unical creation. I have my own theory about Pinkie http://mlpforums.com/topic/82186-the-creator-of-everything-or-the-primal-chaos-theory/

Semi-spoiler below from season 3 episode 1

This sounds like the best idea, when Shining Armor has the black crystals on his horn and he couldn't do magic further your idea about the "damaged wand" theory.

Edited by PsychedelicPony

Okay. All unicorns are mage's. Horn is a "key" to magic. Probably, there are nerve inside the horn, who directly associated with the brain. Unicorns have they own "magic stamina" - A conditional indicator of how long unicorn can do magic until not tired, we can cal it "mana" like in RPG games. Horn is a natural magic wand. Perhaps if horn will be damaged very much, unicorn can lose all magic abilities. And about how magic works. As like I said, horn directly associated with brain. Unicorn sacrificed some of her "mana" for create a spell. Brain impulse with help of "mana" are pass through the horn, and then spell starts to work.

Allow me to agree and counter with my own long, nerdy theory:

There are three main types of magics in Equestria. Those magics are Chaos, Harmony and Order. Chaos magic is completely random, and will cause things to work passively against gravity and randomise all things possible. Harmony magic is what flows through most of Equestria. It inhabits everything, and tries to draw in and mix Chaos and Order magic together. That is basically what Harmony magic is. The beings of Harmony(ex. Almost all ponies and most of all the things in Equestria) all can produce forms of Chaos magic in an Orderly manner. Order magic will try to maintain physics and objects as If they were on Earth. The Order magic is not really much of a magic. It's a magic that wards other magic, and that's all it does. Order magic is probably the equivalent of what we have on Earth, and humans may have even lived on Equestria decades ago, in this sort of magic.

There's more, but urgh...

Allow me to agree and counter with my own long, nerdy theory:

There are three main types of magics in Equestria. Those magics are Chaos, Harmony and Order. Chaos magic is completely random, and will cause things to work passively against gravity and randomise all things possible. Harmony magic is what flows through most of Equestria. It inhabits everything, and tries to draw in and mix Chaos and Order magic together. That is basically what Harmony magic is. The beings of Harmony(ex. Almost all ponies and most of all the things in Equestria) all can produce forms of Chaos magic in an Orderly manner. Order magic will try to maintain physics and objects as If they were on Earth. The Order magic is not really much of a magic. It's a magic that wards other magic, and that's all it does. Order magic is probably the equivalent of what we have on Earth, and humans may have even lived on Equestria decades ago, in this sort of magic.

There's more, but urgh...

Yeah, I talking about how magic works from the point of view of biology, and you talking about what kinds of magic exist in Equestria. Well, in general, I agree with you, but don't forget about dark magic arts (king Sombra). But not to be confused with Chaos magic. Chaos isn't darkness (but I sure that you already knew that)

Edited by zev_zev

Yeah, I talking about how magic works from the point of view of biology, and you talking about what kinds of magic exist in Equestria. Wel ingeneral, I agree with you, but don't forget about dark magic arts. But not to be confused with Chaos magic. Chaos isn't darkness (but I sure that you already knew that)

Yep. I'd consider Chaos, Harmony and Order magics to be the main types of magics. Secondary magics would be Light, Neutral and Dark magics, then there would be many other sections for different outcomes of the magics(ex. Cutie marks, race magics, idle magics, runes and other spaghetti-like stuff...).
  • Brohoof 1

Yep. I'd consider Chaos, Harmony and Order magics to be the main types of magics. Secondary magics would be Light, Neutral and Dark magics, then there would be many other sections for different outcomes of the magics(ex. Cutie marks, race magics, idle magics, runes and other spaghetti-like stuff...).

Good point! Let's play with formula's of magic:

Magic of Celestia: Harmony+Light. Order+Light.

Magic of Nightmare moon: Chaos+Darkness.

Magic of Luna (not Nightmare moon form): Harmony+Darkness. Order+Darkness

Magic of Twilight Sparkle: Order+Neutral. Harmony+Neutral and +a little part of Light and maybe a little Darkness (because she's Twilight Sparkle)

Waiting for your formula's and examples ;)