gaming What if video games had never been created?

Celestial Wish

I do not think that it would be a bad thing if video games never existed...

I am not a huge gamer, but I am fascinated with the video game industry. It's the fast growing visable technology as well as creatively. In terms of the modern world, researching/studying the video game industry is my hobby, so a world without video games is difficult to imagine.

However, a world without video games is very improbable. Board games have been around since before the 20th century, and tabletop games (such as checkers or chess) have been around for centuries in one form or another. As far as other entertainment media goes, books have been around for a long time as well, but only got into the hands of "common" folk with the introduction of the printing press and public education (education not based on wealth or social status).  Then the Television came about, and has been with us not even a hundred years.  All three of these forms of inactive entertainment have a huge hand in the creation of the video game industry. Started out as board games on Tv (take the Odyessy) and simple little arcade games (such as Pong).  As video games got more complex, so did their storytelling capabilities. Almost right away, games were applied to the television (the plethora of Pong consoles, and later the cartridge and CD consoles we know of today. With all that said. You might as well ask if the biggest contributor of the video game industry (the Television) was never invented. At that point, I would say then that the Computer would also never be invented and thus you might as well keep us in the 1940's or earlier...of course, I'm perfectly alright with that, no NSA tracking our every movement, and I'd prefer a Stanley Steamer to any modern ride (my pickup would be a Steam Engine, so I'd never have to worry about having too heavy of a haul XD )

Oh my gosh! You may not play video games but your intelligent sense astounds me and I love it! PLEASE LET US BE FRIENDS <3

PROGRAMMING! :lol:

Does RPG Maker allow any sort of 3D graphics development or is it stuck to sprites? If it does I suspect it's tied to one's ability to write code directly. The in-game assets probably wouldn't be able to handle such things effectively.

*sigh* I love when two stars find each other in their own universe!! Yes!! GAME ON Programmers!

• Brohoof 3

PROGRAMMING! :lol:

Does RPG Maker allow any sort of 3D graphics development or is it stuck to sprites? If it does I suspect it's tied to one's ability to write code directly. The in-game assets probably wouldn't be able to handle such things effectively.

It can somewhat...at least Ace anyway. It does require scripts to support the use of it though, but it can be programmed to work with 3D graphics. Nothing like the scale of the newer RPGs, but beyond the 2D sprites.

• Brohoof 2

I would be in much better shape, probably have a college degree, and most likely be in a better paying job.

it is true! XD Video games can be a huge distraction from our responsibilities!

Yes, it is unfortunate the amount of time and attention video games sucks away from us. It's for a good cause though! I dunno about you but I feel sometimes there's more I could do to be a great person.

I have a tendency to look in the mirror and think "way to fill the nerdy stereotype" :lol:

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, it is unfortunate the amount of time and attention video games sucks away from us. It's for a good cause though! I dunno about you but I feel sometimes there's more I could do to be a great person.

I have a tendency to look in the mirror and think "way to fill the nerdy stereotype" :lol:

Being yourself is what matters and counts <3 If you love video games, so what! If you like eating shrimp in grits, who cares! (i cant eat that doe..) NERDS ARE AMAZING! (especially the candy c:)

• Brohoof 1

But it helped improve my drawing and writting abilities, and made me learn the ins and outs of my PC.

SCREW THE OUTSIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 2

Being yourself is what matters and counts <3 If you love video games, so what! If you like eating shrimp in grits, who cares! (i cant eat that doe..) NERDS ARE AMAZING! (especially the candy c:)

Sure enough! I love who I am on the inside but on the outside...I like the idea of being the hot guy in the room who's actually a super nerd. I'm a long way away from that point but it's a rather tantalizing thought. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Sure enough! I love who I am on the inside but on the outside...I like the idea of being the hot guy in the room who's actually a super nerd. I'm a long way away from that point but it's a rather tantalizing thought. :lol:

OH YEA BB! that's how you roll it! Hop on that like white on rice! <3

But it helped improve my drawing and writting abilities, and made me learn the ins and outs of my PC.

SCREW THE OUTSIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DERE YOU GO! Beyourself.com <3

• Brohoof 1

Germany's cross walks would be boring without pong. I think we would see more people into role play, acting, the arts, and also a lot more boy scouts. maybe paintball would be a common sport, and puzzles would be popular not just for the elderly. I also think that technology would be hindered by like ten years. why do we use touch screens instead of the older phones? because we love to play games on them and mess around on all the stuff. the programming for games is used in so many things now that it may be a completely different way of life. by that i mean something before the year 2000 at least

• Brohoof 1

Honestly though, I've realized that video games aren't just a hobby or a passtime for me, they've become part of my life and part of who I am, so it's actually difficult to imagine what kind of person I would be or how different the world would be without them.

• Brohoof 1

Video Games influenced technology, that's for sure. O.O

Honestly though, I've realized that video games aren't just a hobby or a passtime for me, they've become part of my life and part of who I am, so it's actually difficult to imagine what kind of person I would be or how different the world would be without them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I made this topic o.o it would be... changing my life itself. O.O

• Brohoof 1

You and me both. All my life I've been told "you'll get bored of video games eventually" or "you have to grow up at some point"

People always imply that video games are for children. These people know nothing of video games usually.

It's not just a hobby. It's a lifestyle. I've been told before I need to find something to do with my life. I have found something to do with my life. Unfortunately it's very difficult to make any money off of it. Nine times out of ten people who want to make money on video games, for any reason, won't ever make enough to ever be anything more than supplemental income. This goes for developers as well as tournament-level players.

WHEN WILL THE WORLD LEARN!? This is our life, this is our calling.

On a more personal level I actually believe in the theories behind the multiverse. Not in a religious sense or anything it just...feels right to me. I consider every book I read, every movie I watch, every game I play to be a view into one of those many universes.

To me, video games is more than just entertainment...it's existential. I give my entire being to video games. Mind, body and soul this is what I was meant to do.

• Brohoof 3

If I lived in a world without video games I'd probably have much more of a life. Now I'm going to go play something.

A bold decision! What, pray tell, will you be playing? :D

Because curiosity.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

I'd feel like a part of me is missing something.

I pretty much grew up on video games and made it my hobby, I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't for that

• Brohoof 1

If video games never existed I would've never met my best friend :)

So this would've affected me deeply :P

Good point. If video games weren't around I wouldn't have gotten to know my best friends. I met them all through gaming forums.

None of us would be here talking about vidjama games either!

• Brohoof 2

Computer technology would have stagnated a long time ago. Why create a $1,000 video card if only a certain group of professionals would use them? Motion tracking technology would have also not made much of an impact at all if it wasn't for Kinect and the Wii.

Video games move technology because players want more and more and the race is on for companies to create better and better technology. It's a huge industry and one that has pushed technology very far.

• Brohoof 1