Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So TMNT can have a worse DERPY but FiM cannot?

DiscordAnarchy

(edited)

skip to 16:30 to see the Derp. Apparently it is okay to have a character in a kids' show who is not only phyiscally deformed that is pretty brain dead, but it is also okay to have the only thing the creature say as being "DERP DERP DERP"

but GODS FORBID we have a clumsy blond pony named derpy.

AmiRight?

It's best if you don't bitch about it, because pretty much everyone did, and I don't think anyone who works on the show will change their minds.

Besides that was supposed to be a type of monster.

I don't see you complaining about the tons of villains that are deformed/have mental problems. From Spiderman, Superman, etc.

It's not like they went to the store and saw little Jimmy with a dent in his head and said "Ew wtf is that.".

Besides MLP and TMNT are two different shows. MLP is for little girls, which is why everyone reacted so hard.

Also there have been characters from shows that are just completely stupid and is a main character. (or side)

Cheese from Fosters.

Ed from Ed Edd n Eddy.

Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants

Peter Griffin. (Who is actually mentally retarded, like seriously theres an episode with a song and everything)

Homer Simpson.

The list goes on.

Also "Derp".

-facepalm-

So many people like you have said, "Derp doesn't mean anything relating to being mentally handicapped".

Edited by Wubsie

Seriously? It's just a cartoon. I'm sure they never say he has a mental disability in the show,

I never said they did at least not in the case of 2012 Michaelangelo but Uncle Grandpa is a very very different story. I never said the 2012 portrayal of Michaelangelo was offensive but that he is a bit closer to the stereotype than Derpy was but still falls short, he is more of a typical dumb dumb character which is a bit different than a stereotypical retarded character. Because he is closer to that albeit without being completely like that I still think it a tad hypocritical for people to demand Derpy be killed with fire and leave characters like him alone and even more hypocritical to say nothing about characters like Uncle Grandpa. If the whole Derpy thing never happened I wouldn't even care about any of this I would just chalk it up to "I like the 2012 TMNT but not its version of Michaelangelo and Uncle Grandpa is the dumbest show Cartoon Network has put on in a long time" and just move on. What pisses me off is all these people claiming to speak for the disabled without even bother to actually listen to them, there are countless disabled people or even people who are seen as different for other reasons who love Derpy. I have been called stupid and retarded even though I am not in large part due to having Autism so I know what it is like yet never found Derpy offensive and don't appreciate these people trying to speak for me.

Holy crap... I need to catch up on that show!! Jeez, what happened April (that's rhetorical, no spoilers)?

Anyway, I don't think I'd call that a "Derpy".

Derpy is a realistically portrayed character. There are absolutely people out there that have disabilities and handicaps.

Derpy is just different, just like there are humans in our world that are different.

THAT thing however is quite obviously not just a person that is different.

That is a deadly monster, and from what I've seen of the show, was probably created through some perverse gene splicing techniques.

Now I don't know what happens at the end of the episode. Do they befriend this frightening thing? Does it have feelings and a personality?

I'll find out eventually.

I think a couple people got sensitive about Derpy because she's probably a lot like someone they know, and since she was being used for comedic effect, they thought it was like making fun of the person they know.

The creature in TMNT is a monster. While it is "mentally handicapped", it's not because it was just born different or got into an accident and suffered brain damage. It's a horrifying aberration spliced together in a test tube being sent to destroy the heroes of the show. It's quite obviously not like anyone you would know in real life.

The reason why MLP was flagged for using the word "derp" was because some take it as a slur for the mentally retarded, although it can also mean "clumsy". By the logic of using it as a slur for the mentally retarded, it should be banned from all kids' shows. By the latter, it should be allowed on all kids' shows.

Except it wasn't Hasbro. It was Itunes. They found it offensive.

Here's the proof.

Skip to 1:42.

If iTunes lets TMNT get away with this, then we can call it a double-standard. I do not take "it's a little girls' show" or a younger target audience as a pass for this. Either everyone uses it or no one uses it. It's that simple.

skip to 16:30 to see the Derp. Apparently it is okay to have a character in a kids' show who is not only phyiscally deformed that is pretty brain dead, but it is also okay to have the only thing the creature say as being "DERP DERP DERP"

but GODS FORBID we have a clumsy blond pony named derpy.

AmiRight?

Uh, hello?

Derpy isnt stupid! She is actually pretty smart! She just has wall-eye! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus

Derpy isnt stupid! She is actually pretty smart! She just has wall-eye! http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Strabismus
For your information i had the same problem and have undergone surgery twice in my life. Derpy eyes however don't mean strabismus by default... my own problem is more like "stray eyes". Still i face the same descrimination as Derpy, or at least did... in a not so severe way. The thing is that everyone that says that just because of some stray eyes you have to be retarded insults me and i take it personally because their ignorance includes me as well. 
  • Brohoof 1

Does that thing... have a second less-ugly April growing out of its eye socket, and a lung-shaped thing for a foot?

...Dang, I wish I'd thought of that first.

...Just kidding. I would go for something genuinely terrifying, not merely disgusting or unusual. If I were writing such things, I mean.

• 5 months later...