Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So TMNT can have a worse DERPY but FiM cannot?

DiscordAnarchy

skip to 16:30 to see the Derp. Apparently it is okay to have a character in a kids' show who is not only phyiscally deformed that is pretty brain dead, but it is also okay to have the only thing the creature say as being "DERP DERP DERP"

but GODS FORBID we have a clumsy blond pony named derpy.

AmiRight?

• Brohoof 3

Ok.

What the holy f*** is that!

How this managed to get past the broadcasters I will never know, and this is my problem with it, Derpy was a background character who's eyes went off because of a animation glitch with the software.

THIS

Is directly created with the derpyness intended, hell it even shouts derp, derp, derp. while thoughtlessly killing plenty of people in its path.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Holy shit. What the hell heck is that?!

DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP!

Kinda sounds like me a little bit!

Well, our derpy doesn't murder a bunch of people, so that's the problem. America needs murder to like something. No murder, no airtime! :3

Edited by Dwucky-Wucky
  • Brohoof 3

So I take it we're going by the classic formula

wrong + wrong = right

where if Nickelodeon has an offensive character on TMNT, then the Hub could have an offensive character on MLP and the two would cancel out so they would cease to be offensive?

Makes sense to me.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ok.

What the holy f*** is that!

How this managed to get past the broadcasters I will never know, and this is my problem with it, Derpy was a background character who's eyes went off because of a animation glitch with the software.

THIS

Is directly created with the derpyness intended, hell it even shouts derp, derp, derp. while thoughtlessly killing plenty of people in its path.

Not to mention that they even call it a "Genetic Derp" implying it's being used as a insult. I guess different companies have different broadcast standards. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

You all do realize that Nick is more geared towards a slightly older crowd, whereas the Hub is not right?

Plus, the people in charge of Nick really don't listen to complaints last i heard

• Brohoof 3

wrong + wrong = right

where if Nickelodeon has an offensive character on TMNT, then the Hub could have an offensive character on MLP and the two would cancel out so they would cease to be offensive?

Makes sense to me.

That's all dependent on if your consider her(Derpy) actually offensive. 

wrong + wrong = right

Makes sense to me.

little problem with your story there dude. Derpy isn't offensive. Just because she's got what some call 'derpy' eyes doesn't mean she's offensive. My brother has a lazy eye, and he loves derpy. But this... Thing is literally a walking idiotic killing machine that's literally meant to be stupid to the point of being painful.

@@Shoboni,@

...and you guys totally missed the point of what I was saying.

I get what your saying, but you implied that derpy was offensive. I was just pointing out that she wasn't, to me at least.
  • Brohoof 1

Not really. It's only the "two wrongs don't make a right" fallacy if one or the other is indeed wrong. 

The OP's argument was basically "If TMNT gets to do it, then why doesn't My Little Pony get to do it, too?" My point has nothing to do with whether or not Derpy is offensive, it has to do with the OP making a bad argument.

You all do realize that Nick is more geared towards a slightly older crowd, whereas the Hub is not right?

Plus, the people in charge of Nick really don't listen to complaints last i heard

This is why I sometimes wish MLP wasn't owned by Hasbro.  -_-

The OP's argument was basically "If TMNT gets to do it, then why doesn't My Little Pony get to do it, too?" My point has nothing to do with whether or not Derpy is offensive, it has to do with the OP making a bad argument.

Not really he's not. He merely making the valid point that TMNT is a kids show and well and got away with content that actually could be argued as a offensive while Derpy got censored essentially just for being. 

As much as I like the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I do not like their version of Michaelangello. Mikey may never have been the sharpest knife in the droor but the 80's-90's, 2003 and comic versions of him were nowhere near that dumb. With that said Michaelangelo is still not the posterchild for a stereotypical metally challenged person, that dishonor goes to Uncle Grandpa. Now that is something to get pissed about, Derpy being taken off for supposedly being a stereotype and arguably one of the worst stereotypes on TV gets a free pass.

http://youtu.be/zaMc19WUXkI

Maybe its because TMNT has gone so far into the crapper, no one cares about it?

That's my theory...that, or more anal retentive soccer moms pay more attention to stuff like MLP, then a bunch of mutated talking turtles.

As much as I like the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I do not like their version of Michaelangello. Mikey may never have been the sharpest knife in the droor but the 80's-90's, 2003 and comic versions of him were nowhere near that dumb. With that said Michaelangelo is still not the posterchild for a stereotypical metally challenged person, that dishonor goes to Uncle Grandpa. Now that is something to get pissed about, Derpy being taken off for supposedly being a stereotype and arguably one of the worst stereotypes on TV gets a free pass.

I disagree on this. Mikey is not protrayed as uber dumb. He's protrayed as the youngest brother of the group who just has his head in the clouds. He's a little kid compared to the others who are more serious and older (despite the fact they are the same age)

I've been following (and absolutely loving) the new TMNT series and, yeah, this did occur to me when I saw this episode.

But, different companies involved, different demographics, and different networks, so meh.  My initial reaction was just wondering how long it'll take before April Derp gets edited.

that dishonor goes to Uncle Grandpa. Now that is something to get pissed about, Derpy being taken off for supposedly being a stereotype and arguably one of the worst stereotypes on TV gets a free pass.

I gave this show a shot not long ago.  I don't even know.  I want to hate it just for how dumb it is...but that seems redundant since the stupidity is kind of the point.  It's almost dada-esque in that way.

It's the kind of thing that's like...I mean, objectively it's certainly creative...but...nnguwaah?

I had a felling that this would come up sooner or later here. As for me, I don't really see them changing this part or see the differences. We all know the Soccer mom thing is a myth and was suggested by iTunes and for me the 2 characters are completely different. Don't know why, that's just what I see.

(edited)

With that said Michaelangelo is still not the posterchild for a stereotypical metally challenged person, that dishonor goes to Uncle Grandpa. Now that is something to get pissed about, Derpy being taken off for supposedly being a stereotype and arguably one of the worst stereotypes on TV gets a free pass.

Seriously? It's just a cartoon. I'm sure they never say he has a mental disability in the show, his just a regular dim-witted character. If cartoons get to the point where a character can't be stupid for the sake of comedy, it would be awful. Especially since in the episodes I've seen Uncle Grandpa isn't really an idiot, just a little goofy and weird, like a lesser version of Pinkie.  :P

Maybe people should stop being so oversensitive about what's offensive in a cartoon in general and only get pissed if it's legitimately trying to make an offensive point about a group of people and not when it just has something that you yourself have determined is a certain stereotype.  -_-

Except it wasn't Hasbro. It was Itunes. They found it offensive.

Here's the proof.

Skip to 1:42.

Ooh, nice find! I never saw that before.  :) I may be in the minority that Derpygate was never a huge thing but personally I feel like this is actually evidence for it because it wasn't even what caused the edit. People make a bigger deal of it now then it was at the time but for the most part things were cool.  ;)

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress