Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Somebody refused to sell me a FIM comic!

Rarity Paige Belle

It makes no sense from a business standpoint, so I doubt the git is store owner. Make a point of seeing the guy in charge, be polite yet firm and make your complaint clearly. Make it clear that you are upset and don't understand, but be in full control of your manner and speech.

Keep yer cool, don't ask for the guy to be sacked, just ask why you were denied service.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty sure this is illegal. Considering what you're buying, of course. The guys' being a self-absorbed asshole. Just get the comic, and call it good. Avoid anymore trouble. XD Afterall...

THIS IS AMERICA!

(edited)

I would suggest trying to get it online. You get it delivered and skip the annoying comic book guy, in the process. 

The issue there is price. You wind up paying double because shipping costs as much as the comic itself from most sources. It cost me $10 the one time I had to order a comic because the distributor screwed up and never sent that issue to the comic shop here.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

You wind up paying double because shipping cost

Wow, I completely forgot about that.

OT- well the best you can do is try to get the comic, tell the manager on the comic book guy. 

• Brohoof 1

Better yet, go back and ask for the guy's manager and explain to him that one of his employees refused to serve a customer. If that guy was the manager... unfortunately you're out of luck since I'm pretty sure businesses are allowed to refuse service for personal/political reasons.

After work today I went to my local comic store to buy issue 2 of MLP friends forever. However when I asked the guy behind the counter for it, he refused to sell it to me, saying he thought Bronies were weird! Needless to say, I had a few choice words with him.

Do you think I should go back and complain?

Did you get the comic in the end? I wanted to get the comics because they are actually really good but they don't sell them in the UK. I also don't have any pony stuff about as I don't want anyone to see it, ie all my pony stuff is images and video on hard drive no actual merch (no clop btw).  Also the OP makes me think of this. 

(edited)

Alright, there's a simple way to handle this without any sort of conflict. Next time, before you go into the store, put on a dark grey hoodie and aviator sunglasses. The result should look something like this:

img-2384063-1-Unabomber-sketch.png

Enter the store, find your comic and silently place it on the counter. Stare at the man. Just stand there silently and STARE. If he refuses, stare harder. Still refusing? You're still staring. We're talking a good five minutes of solid silent staring here. If he's still refusing at this point, nod slowly and say, "We are not supposed to hate anyone, yet almost everyone hates somebody at some time or other, whether he admits it to himself or not. Shame... Expect a package from me next week." Smile, and walk off.

Would you have to grow you're hair out, and a 'tash. My facial hair looks pretty unruly, I wouldn't count on having a decent looking tash...

A neckbear on the other hand that I could do.

Also LOL, if this isn't a thing this should definitely become a thing!

Edited by Gamer Twilight

Did you get the comic in the end? I wanted to get the comics because they are actually really good but they don't sell them in the UK. I also don't have any pony stuff about as I don't want anyone to see it, ie all my pony stuff is images and video on hard drive no actual merch (no clop btw).  Also the OP makes me think of this. 

Have you tried forbidden planet? I went there a couple weeks ago and saw that they had the graphic novels. Didn't buy any though as they're twice as expensive than if you download them!

I did, I just downloaded it off of my comixology app. I recommend it, for a start its much cheaper than going into a store!

Well you can find it online for ahem cheaper, that's what I was referring too.  

Have you tried forbidden planet? I went there a couple weeks ago and saw that they had the graphic novels. Didn't buy any though as they're twice as expensive than if you download them!

The closest forbidden planet store would take me a 30 minute train journey and who knows how much walking to get too.

I don't mind walking say 5 miles to get something from a store but getting a train seems overkill to get some comics.

Also I have 2 shelves worth of comics I never read anymore, and my bookcase is overfully full as it is. Partly down to all the wierd shaped books I buy. If anyone wants to buy a huge amount of judge dredd graphic novels you can get them at a very reasonable price, lol.

Srsly though.

Go back and complain, actually you could sue him at least around here for not selling it to you.

You can't really sue him. The law doesn't really protect bronies, if he said he wasn't going to sell it because you were a jew or black or something you'd have a case. In this case though, there is no legal leverage. However you should definitely go talk to the manager, because it's bad for business to insult customers and refuse sales. If the guy happened to be the owner (which you already said he isn't) you could simply tell him you are not going to use his store anymore and tell others to do the same. Comics are a pretty niche market these days, so any comic store that turns away a possible returning customer is insane. This isn't the 90s anymore where people hung out all day at comic shops; the market is smaller and most of it is based entirely on returning customers. Random kids don't walk in as much as they used to, so a good chunk of your business is from people who are loyal to the shop.

I did, I just downloaded it off of my comixology app. I recommend it, for a start its much cheaper than going into a store!

That would work for me, but I like owning the physical book so I own it. Digital comics are great for readers who want the product at an economy price, but bad for collectors because they hold 0 value and are not as fun to get. Part of comic collection that is so fun is that you get to show off your collection when people come over. You got shelves of comic boxes and mint condition issues. Also in the event you want to get a comic signed it kind of helps to like... Have the comic.

(edited)

That would work for me, but I like owning the physical book so I own it. Digital comics are great for readers who want the product at an economy price, but bad for collectors because they hold 0 value and are not as fun to get. Part of comic collection that is so fun is that you get to show off your collection when people come over. You got shelves of comic boxes and mint condition issues. Also in the event you want to get a comic signed it kind of helps to like... Have the comic.

I think in terms of 'collectors' comic book fans are definitely the most likely to collect and be hardcore about it, ie mint condition etc.

As someone who used to read a decent amount of comics (nothing obssesive though I just have a couple shelves worth really) I never considered myself a collector I don't mind if it's not mint, in fact a lot of my comics are used. And I'm one of the few people who actually kind of prefers library copies that are resold, the reason being a) they are dirt cheap due to the whole collector thing and they are usually laminated which is good because I never take care of my comics if they scuffed up or crushed I do little to prevent it.  B) 

The videogame fandom is probably the second biggest fandom that is into collecting, with comic fans being the first. I game plenty but due to digital sales ie steam, good old games, and the fact that I resell basically 98% of all my games I don't have a collection. To me a collection that can be easily resold is like having money on your shelves you could spend on buying more games and the cycle continues.

..I digress.

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

Why the hell does he stock it if he doesn't want to sell it?

Also the FIM comics are awesome. I have 8 (The Chryssi and Nightmarity arc) and I am super hyped for the Mirrorverse one.

(edited)

>Currently going on amazon to see if I can find any 'brony' reviews of the comics.

There are a lot of reviews like 'I bought this for my 8 year old daughter' and I'm like

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah it's for your 'daughter'.

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 2

I think in terms of 'collectors' comic book fans are definitely the most likely to collect and be hardcore about it, ie mint condition etc.

As someone who used to read a decent amount of comics (nothing obssesive though I just have a couple shelves worth really) I never considered myself a collector I don't mind if it's not mint, in fact a lot of my comics are used. And I'm one of the few people who actually kind of prefers library copies that are resold, the reason being a) they are dirt cheap due to the whole collector thing and they are usually laminated which is good because I never take care of my comics if they scuffed up or crushed I do little to prevent it.  B) 

The videogame fandom is probably the second biggest fandom that is into collecting, with comic fans being the first. I game plenty but due to digital sales ie steam, good old games, and the fact that I resell basically 98% of all my games I don't have a collection. To me a collection that can be easily resold is like having money on your shelves you could spend on buying more games and the cycle continues.

..I digress.

I do agree that comics are being saved by digital. I mean the problem with comics is it's hard for new people to get into them because older issues are harder and harder to get. Digital at least preserves them.

Also let's be honest: video game collecting is inherently worthless now. Digital sales make so many copies available and unlike the 80s and 90s where no one knew games would have any value, publishers are purposely making games for "collector's value" which ironically is lowering the value. When you pump out more games because you know people will buy them for collector's value you do 2 things:

1. You make more copies in existence, thus lowering the rarity.

2. Make people know enough to save games.

That's the thing: people in the 80s and 90s didn't know games would have collector's value so only a few people saved the games. Now that everyone thinks games will have value in 10 years or so they are saving all their games, lowering the rarity and making so the games are inherently worthless. I can buy a game from 2001 in mint condition for like.. $15 these days.

That and back in the 80s and 90s, development was much more exclusive. Less games came out for a system than they do today. There are tons of old NES games that are worth a lot because of how rare they are, despite the games themselves sucking ass. Nowadays "shitty" games are... Well... Worthless. No one wants to buy a copy of the Burger King Xbox game no matter how "rare" it is.

I digress though.

It is totally wrong for a comic shop to turn away a potential returning customer. Stupid even.

There are a lot of reviews like 'I bought this for my 8 year old daughter' and I'm like Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah it's for your 'daughter'.

Man if they managed to get an 8 year old girl interested in comics, I give them credit!

Man if they managed to get an 8 year old girl interested in comics, I give them credit!

Tonnes of reviews on amazon are like that. With them saying it's for the daughter aged anywhere from like 3/4 to like 12 or so.

They all are like 'my 5 year old daughter liked this'.

I'm suspicious tbh.

I do agree that comics are being saved by digital. I mean the problem with comics is it's hard for new people to get into them because older issues are harder and harder to get. Digital at least preserves them.

Also let's be honest: video game collecting is inherently worthless now. Digital sales make so many copies available and unlike the 80s and 90s where no one knew games would have any value, publishers are purposely making games for "collector's value" which ironically is lowering the value. When you pump out more games because you know people will buy them for collector's value you do 2 things:

1. You make more copies in existence, thus lowering the rarity.

2. Make people know enough to save games.

That's the thing: people in the 80s and 90s didn't know games would have collector's value so only a few people saved the games. Now that everyone thinks games will have value in 10 years or so they are saving all their games, lowering the rarity and making so the games are inherently worthless. I can buy a game from 2001 in mint condition for like.. $15 these days.

That and back in the 80s and 90s, development was much more exclusive. Less games came out for a system than they do today. There are tons of old NES games that are worth a lot because of how rare they are, despite the games themselves sucking ass. Nowadays "shitty" games are... Well... Worthless. No one wants to buy a copy of the Burger King Xbox game no matter how "rare" it is.

I digress though.

There are plenty of games that are worth like anywhere from 30 bucks to a few hundred bucks on systems as recent as the PSP. Namely japanese developed RPG's, limited NA and European release and the JRPG crowd is pretty hardcore about collecting some of the titles.

Fortunately a lot of the classics on say PS1 are re-released on PSP. Ie I had a copy of Silent Hill that cost me a little over £20 to get over a year ago, now I've seen it sell for over £70. Though my copy wasn't perfect condition or whatever. 

Can't you just buy the comic from another place? If he's not going to sell it to you then he does not deserve your cash. Pretty simple, if you ask me.

I did. Off of comixology. Its just that if he doesn't want to sell comics, he shouldn't be working there!