Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dinosaurs In Equestria

Silver Dust

Like Earth, birds are everywhere in Equestria; anyone with even an inkling of natural history knows they're actually the last surviving members of Dinosauria. By that logic, their relatives may have once roamed the very lands now inhabited by ponies. Maybe some lucky explorer will find their fossils in the Badlands or just outside Appleloosa... is that too much of a stretch?

I think Silver Dust is right. Dinosaurs wouldn't be too much of a stretch. The show's already dealt with magic, dragons, bat transformations, fantasy mixing with reality, teleportation, cloning pools, and a bunch of other fantastic sci-fi tropes. Dinosaurs would fit right into the Equestrian mythos.

That would be awesome....but since the target audience is 7 year old girls and girls don't like dinosaurs according to focus groups, it won't happen

I concur.........that goes for "supposed" Extra-Terrestrials arriving to Equestria, teaching their ancestors knowledge.

*yet........that, fillies and gentlecolts, is about to change................very soon*

@,

If there are dinosaurs, then I expect transformations,  tall.jpeg

*GASPS*

The Mane 6 as Velociraptors,..............my favorite kind of dinosaur.........now that would be truly amazing, :D

• Brohoof 1

@@Silver Dust,

And? According to focus groups, men don't like Dora either. Hasbro does not like being risky, they aren't going to toss in dinosaurs since it really doesn't fit in with the show. The show's dinosaurs are dragons.

Sure, the might exist since birds are there, but then the Christian Radicals would get pissed off  

@,

We need more transformation episodes, period. Deer, dinosaurs, dragons, I'm up for anything. Season 4 has been very kind in regards to that 

@,

We need more transformation episodes, period. Deer, dinosaurs, dragons, I'm up for anything. Season 4 has been very kind in regards to that 

Yeah.....there definitely should be one of those "Dimensional/Universe Shifts" like you said, from ponies to dinosaurs, to dragons, etc.  Good point, :)

• Brohoof 1

Fun fact: dragons and dinosaurs are related. Along with crocodiles, and a whole host of animals apparently no one has ever heard of (rauisuchians, silesaurs, the list goes on). The simple fact Hasbro is still making a show that's been vilified and ridiculed with such cruelty, yet still grows, is reason enough for hope. With at least five years of FIM waiting to be seen, dinosaurs would be far from the most unusual sight.

@@Silver Dust,

They would be. Dinosaurs fit into the sc-fi genre much better than the fantasy genre that is MLP. They would feel awkward when a dragon puts them to shame in every way.

Also, why do you have dragons related to dinosaurs? For all we know, dragons may be archosaurs like Pterosaurs 

Dinosaurs are also archosaurs; their relationship isn't direct. Dragons are crurotarsans, more closely related to crocodiles. Dinosaurs are ornithodires, with pterosaurs being their most immediate kin (aside from living birds). As for them being "lacking" in comparison to dragons, very little could be further from the truth.

Given the choice between fighting a fire-breathing dragon and a pack of deinonychus, I'd take the choice that lets everyone in a five-mile radius know exactly where he is before he started stroking his vanity with death threats and wasteful grandeur. Dragons have a pathetic weakness; dinosaurs are just hungry.

@@Silver Dust,

Tell me your source for dragon classification.

I think I'd pick the one that kills one or two people every few days over the one that levels cities because you took one coin from his hoard. There's also the fact that Ursa Majors make the largest of dinosaurs look like toddlers 

Visual analysis of dragons from all stories and continuities. The false palate (a crurotarsan adaption) is vital for preventing breath attacks from backfiring into the gullet. Every skeleton I've ever seen shows their ankle and hip structure to be definitively crurotarsan. The adaptions of hollow bones and beaks may seem to be avian, but one Triassic group of crocodile-relatives reveals this to be a convergent adaption: the ornithosuchians. Basically, crurotarsans that evolved to look and act just like dinosaurs.

I'll admit, a dragon's rage is more lethal than an appetite, and Ursa Majors seem invulnerable... until the ultimate archosaur appears. Obviously not in MLP; that would be more than a bit much for children, and many adults, to be honest.

1394441913111.jpg

Linnorms.

Side notes: the false palate is fleshy (like in phytosaurs and earlier crocodilians), and Godzilla is just a mutated lizard.

Also, looking at the dragon skeleton, the femur is unbent (unlike in dinosaurs) and is in what's known as the pillar-erect stance; exclusively crurotarsan.

@@Silver Dust,

Godzilla is a dinosaur in the Japanese version. 

Okay then, let's see what common media has to say about dragons vs dinosaurs

What do you know, the dragon kicked the asses of the raptors

BTW, your Ultimate Archosaur is still outmatched against the Ursa Major. And Ursa Major is at the very least 300 feet high

No throat pallate here

Alatreon-Horns-Broken.png

Edited by Evil Dragon Master

I already acknowledged dragons beating dinosaurs, and I'll admit I don't know that much about Godzilla. 

Linnorms eat dragons on a regular basis, and an Ursa Major is still smaller than the largest varieties, especially dread linnorms and corprse tearers.