Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could the Mane 6 (except Fluttershy) have done more to befriend/reform Discord?

JH24

My apologies in advance if this is a weird topic. 

I was just wondering, have the Mane 6 (with the exception of Fluttershy) done enough on their part to befriend Discord?

I realize Discord deserves skepticism from the Mane 6 due to his past actions, but I was somewhat surprised that the Mane 6 (who value friendship so much) never got that far with Discord (except for Fluttershy and Twilight)

Fluttershy seems the only one who is genuinely happy to have Discord as a friend. Twilight will be there to help him, but she also seems a bit reluctant/uneasy and I don't think I've ever seen her smile during their interactions.

Except for Fluttershy the other ponies never seem to hang out with him, never contact him, and when they do summon him it's only because they think he did something wrong. Of course Discord isn't helping at all by having a habit of toying with/abusing the Mane 6 but I still can't help feeling there should have been a bit more effort on their part.

Fluttershy does her best and even writes letters, Twilight is a bit hesitant but still helps, Pinkie Pie is warming up to him but Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash can almost be described as hostile. Especially their eagerness back then to turn him back to stone or when Rainbow (loyalty) didn't know how fast she had to leave her friends at the thought of having to take care of a "sick" Discord.

It almost feels part of the reason Discord did that "blue flu" stunt was because of the Mane 6 lack of "friendship". Wanting to find out what they (or in this case Twilight) would do for him as he had no real idea of that before. I was wondering how others feel about it.

Is it natural regarding Discord that it takes time to form a bond with the Mane 6 or should he give more proof that he can be trusted first? (Although he hasn't pulled any big stunts since they lost their Elements) Or do the Mane 6 also carry some of the blame by not doing enough like hanging out, finding common interests, etc?

Edited by JH24

I would say that Twi actually did, I would say that even though reluctant to embrace an interpersonal friendship with the chaotic antagonist, when Discord pretends to be sickened, Twilight and Caedence show a lesson of sacrifice in tending to his illness, and go as far as risking their own safety to aid him.

I sort of figure that sans Fluttershy and mayber Twilight, the Mane Six's distrust of him remains pretty high. I mean, he warped all of their personalities. That's kind of a pretty big deal, and I figure it would be hard of them to let go. I can see maybe Pinkie having already warmed up to him off screen (given that it's Pinkie and she's just... her), but the other three might not be in the position to get all cozy with him just yet. I sort of see it as that situation where you have a friend your friends don't have a reason to like. They keep apart and you hang out with them separately. Perfectly natural situation.

• Brohoof 1

He IS the lord of chaos, and he DID make Ponyville the worst place in the world, and made the mane 6 really miserable so you can understand them.

I don't think so... I know I wouldn't have.

You have to see it from their point of view. Up until it actually happened, there were really no signs that Discord would ever truly be reformed, and it's not like he deserved the benefit of the doubt. Even now it's hard to see him as reformed.

• Brohoof 1

I can understand their initial hesitation, but I hope by now they will try harder with Discord. They saw first hoof that Fluttershy successfully reached out to him and has helped him become less evil. I don't know how cannon the comics are considered but the CMC managed to reach out to him as well. Hopefully the other mane 5 will find ways to connect with him. I imagine Twilight will have the most difficulty with Discord as she lacks patience, and I'm guessing they'll be dealing with each other during the season finale so we'll see how that goes.

Discord was being mean. The other mane 6 didn't like that. If a bully started bullying you and targeted you so much that you had to report he police but then a year later the police told you the bully had to love with you what would you do?

I think the Mane Six and Discord should become friends HOWEVER, I don't want his appearances on the show to become sappy. He only is their friend because he doesn't want to spend eternity as stone. It would be awesome if Discord actually helped the Mane Six in some horrible problem with his own powers. I just don't want him to become the master of chaos who doesn't do anything chaotic and is completely nice.

I think the Mane Six and Discord should become friends HOWEVER, I don't want his appearances on the show to become sappy. He only is their friend because he doesn't want to spend eternity as stone. It would be awesome if Discord actually helped the Mane Six in some horrible problem with his own powers. I just don't want him to become the master of chaos who doesn't do anything chaotic and is completely nice.

same with me! i dont want them to become sappy friends

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. It's great to read everyone's opinions.views on this.

After reading some of the posts I realized I underestimated the effect Discord turning the Mane 6 against each other had on them. In that case I have to admit the reactions of some of the Mane 6 are entirely understandable and Discord should be lucky they're even still talking to him.

It's just that with the task Princess Celestia has given them (and the future of Equestria at stake if Discord falls back in his old ways) I thought they would all be a bit more involved. Then again, Discord just seems to love toying with/annoying the Mane 6 whenever he gets the chance.

I agree with the last two posters, I wouldn't want them to be such close friends either, Discord should keep his own ways, just a bit more restrained. But the Mane 6 getting on somewhat better terms with Discord would be nice.

And as Thespian above me said, Discord helping them with his own powers would definitely be something to see. If for example Discord would ever have to put himself or even his life on the line to save or protect one of the Mane 6, it could be the final lesson Discord needs to truly understand friendship.

Here let me stab you in the chest then give you $1,000 and clean up your garage for you.

An equal amount of help and harm does not cancel out.

In this way Rainbow Dash who had the most taken from her is still VERY anti-discord.  Apples can forgive but they never forget. 

Pinkie lives in the moment and hence isn't as picky about past actions.  Rarity is a little more generous which lets her eventually come around. 

Twilight has the most interesting reaction because you would think she would be more the dispassionate scientist but she is not in this case.  This could be because she had to break discord's effects herself.

Yeah, I've noticed during his last appearance that even though he's 'reformed' there's still a lot of animosity towards him from the rest of the Mane Six (except maybe Pinkie).

And they were so resistant to the possibility of being around him and while I understand their hesitation, it wouldn't surprise me if he returned back to his old ways since nobody else is really giving him a chance.

Friendship goes both ways. We don't know if Discord is trying at all to befriend any of them, except Twilight apparently. Even though he's been reformed he still enjoys messing with the girls and upsetting them for his amusment.

I imagine that he and Fluttershy have a certain understanding with each other. She puts up with his craziness, and he doesn't take it too far. I don't think the other girls would be up with that kind of compromise, well maybe Pinkie Pie. Discord probably won't be able to tone himself down enough to appease all 6 of them.