Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Random facts thread

I_wesley125

That's why we scrub, glove, and gown before surgery... Keep me away from your smelly surgeons!

Even if you glove and gown up, you CAN'T shower before surgery. This is an actual rule, or else they wouldn't allow you to perform the operation at all. Stop making this a joke.

Even if you glove and gown up, you CAN'T shower before surgery. This is an actual rule, or else they wouldn't allow you to perform the operation at all. Stop making this a joke.

I am dead serious. I am an MD and a surgeon and I have never EVER heard this. Here I am scrubbing before a case:

Posted Image

Believe me, everyone in the OR suite has showered before coming to work. The only times I had not showered was when I was on Trauma service and had been up 40 hours straight and needed to do stuff like run some guy's bowel looking for ice-pick stab wounds.

You claim that to be true you better back it up somehow.

Believe me, everyone in the OR suite has showered before coming to work. The only times I had not showered was when I was on Trauma service and had been up 40 hours straight and needed to do stuff like run some guy's bowel looking for ice-pick stab wounds.

You claim that to be true you better back it up somehow.

Oh my ever living... shit...

Christ, I apologize for my unawareness. I wound up reading somewhere that a surgeon had to make sure he didn't shower because of the reason I stated before. In all honesty, I thought you were just playing around! I guess I should've watched what I say before saying it. Again, I'm sorry for the accusations...

• Brohoof 1

Oh my ever living... shit...

Christ, I apologize for my unawareness. I wound up reading somewhere that a surgeon had to make sure he didn't shower because of the reason I stated before. In all honesty, I thought you were just playing around! I guess I should've watched what I say before saying it. Again, I'm sorry for the accusations...

Well, to be honest, I did try looking this up to see if perhaps what you were saying was protocol somewhere. There have been debates regarding proper sterile procedure. Some people believe scrubbing actually stirs up germs on the skin so many ORs now have this "dry" scrub goo that you place on your hands and allow to evaporate. That makes sense to me since in the U.S. we scrub using TAP WATER. That picture I showed was taken when I was doing surgery for a month in India. There, they pour sterile water on your hands.

Maybe I should also explain why this struck a nerve. In my first job, my boss in all his stupidity had me operate at our COMPETITOR'S surgery center. He made more money this way but he did not understand that they were waiting for him to retire so they could buy him out. When he introduced young me into the mix, well, let's just say hostile work environment did not begin to describe the hell I went through. Then one day, my boss starts suggesting that I wear scrubs to work and he had his office manager buy me some apple-scented shampoo. Turns out the surgery center had sent him a letter with several complaints about me (none of them true) including that I SMELLED! This was an obvious ploy by our competition to get me fired and out of the way. I shoved my hair in my boss's face demanding he smell it, asked him why no one in OUR office had ever complained of me smelling, and asked how my clothes could possibly smell when I wearing the surgery center's scrubs during surgery! In the end, I left that job because my boss could not get it in his thick head that I was not happy operating at the evil place. Not only were they mean, but they also had a microscope that said "West Germany" on it. The wall fell in 1989 and yet they advertised themselves as a place for advanced "precision" cataract surgery.

Your whole "surgeons don't shower" thing brought back some very bitter memories... and I know that's not your fault but I'm human. Still makes me want to puke that those jerks tried to get me fired by accusing me that I was smelly and not showering.

Well, to be honest, I did try looking this up to see if perhaps what you were saying was protocol somewhere. There have been debates regarding proper sterile procedure. Some people believe scrubbing actually stirs up germs on the skin so many ORs now have this "dry" scrub goo that you place on your hands and allow to evaporate. That makes sense to me since in the U.S. we scrub using TAP WATER. That picture I showed was taken when I was doing surgery for a month in India. There, they pour sterile water on your hands.

Maybe I should also explain why this struck a nerve. In my first job, my boss in all his stupidity had me operate at our COMPETITOR'S surgery center. He made more money this way but he did not understand that they were waiting for him to retire so they could buy him out. When he introduced young me into the mix, well, let's just say hostile work environment did not begin to describe the hell I went through. Then one day, my boss starts suggesting that I wear scrubs to work and he had his office manager buy me some apple-scented shampoo. Turns out the surgery center had sent him a letter with several complaints about me (none of them true) including that I SMELLED! This was an obvious ploy by our competition to get me fired and out of the way. I shoved my hair in my boss's face demanding he smell it, asked him why no one in OUR office had ever complained of me smelling, and asked how my clothes could possibly smell when I wearing the surgery center's scrubs during surgery! In the end, I left that job because my boss could not get it in his thick head that I was not happy operating at the evil place. Not only were they mean, but they also had a microscope that said "West Germany" on it. The wall fell in 1989 and yet they advertised themselves as a place for advanced "precision" cataract surgery.

Your whole "surgeons don't shower" thing brought back some very bitter memories... and I know that's not your fault but I'm human. Still makes me want to puke that those jerks tried to get me fired by accusing me that I was smelly and not showering.

Jeez... you do have a reason to be pissed. Still never would've guessed you're in the medical profession to begin with either...

Jeez... you do have a reason to be pissed. Still never would've guessed you're in the medical profession to begin with either...

Staying on topic, here's a random fact: Not all doctors on this forum time travel! ;)
  • Brohoof 2

People who listen to Pop or Top 40 Radio hits are generally the ones with the lowest IQ. The ones with the highest IQ are Classical Connoisseurs, Techno Nuts and Metalheads.

Yay! :D *jams to some Techno*

People who listen to Pop or Top 40 Radio hits are generally the ones with the lowest IQ. The ones with the highest IQ are Classical Connoisseurs, Techno Nuts and Metalheads.

As a member of all three, I hereby brohoof this post!

Here's something that's quite mind-boggling: The order of the planets is wrong!!! It's supposed to be Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus. It's been theorised that Jupiter and Saturn orbited in such a way that it made Neptune and Uranus do a switchy-switch.

That's all I have at the moment. That and Schizophrenics make up 1% of the poopulation, and there's about a 1 in 20000 chance that someone is born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

And Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (a disease that destroys your lungs) actually causes liver scarring.

1. Only in America......can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

2. Only in America......are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.

3. Only in America......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

4. Only in America......do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

5. Only in America......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

6. Only in America......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

7. Only in America......do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

8. Only in America......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

9. Only in America.....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

10. Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

11. Only in America......can a homeless combat veteran live in a cardboard box and a draft dodger live in the White House.

And only in America do they believe all these things are true.

In Canada #2 and #6 apply. Although not sure about the rest, I'm sure #4 applies to some people here... I guess there are stupid people around the world, Eh?

1. Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled ’ Gentlemen Only..Ladies Forbidden’..and thus the word GOLF entered into the English Language.

2. The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

3. Everyday more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

4. Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

5. The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% (now get this…)

6. The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

• For every M&M you eat you have to run the length of a football field to burn it off.
  • The term, "Carrots improve your vision" is false. They actually maintain your vision. This comes from the British telling the public that, during the WWII, they were shooting down German fighter planes so well at night because of the amount of carrots eaten.
  • Abraham Lincoln hated being called "Abe".
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger's middle name (Alois), really does mean "Famous Warrior" in German...Hence Arnold Schwarzenegger's middle name is "Famous Warrior".
  • The term 'bug', when referring to computers or software, dates back to when computers were huge, hulking machines that took up entire rooms. Moths and other flying insects would wander into the machinery and get caught in sensitive parts, causing errors.
  • You can get rid of your hiccups by holding your breath and swallowing three times
  • When a male penguin falls in love with a female penguin, He searches the entire beach to find the perfect pebble to present her. And when he finally finds it, he waddles over to her and places the pebble right in front of her. Kind of like a proposal.
Edited by TOMahwk

• When a male penguin falls in love with a female penguin, He searches the entire beach to find the perfect pebble to present her. And when he finally finds it, he waddles over to her and places the pebble right in front of her. Kind of like a proposal.
Kind of? That's exactly what we do too!

A piece of fruit is a trees ripened ovary

During an hours swim at a public pool you will ingest 1/12 liters of urine.

In an average day your hands will have come into indirect contact with 15 penises (touching door handles ect.

In a year you will have swallowed 14

At an average wedding reception you have a 1/100 chance of getting a cold sore from one of the guests.

Daily you will breath in 1 liter of other peoples' anal gases.

Edited by Owlowiscious

Ahem. It's more of a story than fact, but it's still true.

3/10 people answered this question incorrectly when playing "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" on Facebook.

I have a 10 page paper to write. I write 1 page on the first day, 2 pages on the next, and 3 pages on the 3rd day. How many pages left do I have to write?

Ahem. It's more of a story than fact, but it's still true.

3/10 people answered this question incorrectly when playing "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" on Facebook.

I have a 10 page paper to write. I write 1 page on the first day, 2 pages on the next, and 3 pages on the 3rd day. How many pages left do I have to write?

Thats easy, 7 pages. 1 page on the 1st day, 1 page on the 2nd day totaling 2, and 1 page on the 3rd day totaling 3 pages.^_^

Thats easy, 7 pages. 1 page on the 1st day, 1 page on the 2nd day totaling 2, and 1 page on the 3rd day totaling 3 pages. ^_^

Wow. you got it wrong... 1 page on the 1st day, 2 pages on the 2nd, and 3 on the third day. 10-(1+2+3)=4

EDIT: Here's another one. Almost half got this wrong. Assume every month has 30 days. How many days are there in a year?

Edited by Derpity Derp

"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis" is an actual English word, meaning "a disease caused by inhaling volcanic ash, dust, or substance."

(I just found this randomly on the internet)

Wow. you got it wrong... 1 page on the 1st day, 2 pages on the 2nd, and 3 on the third day. 10-(1+2+3)=4

EDIT: Here's another one. Almost half got this wrong. Assume every month has 30 days. How many days are there in a year?

Damn over thought it lol

B-2 Spirits (Or Stealth Bombers) cost around $2 billion to make. Thats more than it cost to make Space Shuttle Endeavour, or any other Shuttle orbiter most likely. Makes sense, as the orbiters at least looked like some sort of space plane. The B-2 looks like a friggin' flying triangle.