Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

No indication of Rainbow Dash's actual sexuality?

SolidTwilight

(edited)

So when some people start watching the show and they see Rainbow Dash act like a tomboy and her rainbow colors they at first assume that she is gay/lesbian. But if you see all the episodes you will see that there is really zero evidence her sexuality one way or the other and I for one really like that. I think it would hurt the show if they made it one way or the other and it really does not need to be in there anyway. I like that RD can love who ever she wants and I don't think the show needs to put limits on who that SSP could be. also I don't think the show needs that kind of drama (it is a kids show after all). one of the things I like about RD is that she can just be her self with out any of the others on the show bring up any love drama. I think that there is lots of other shows for that and one of the things I like about MLP is that I can enjoy a show with a mostly female cast with out thinking about sex at any point.

what about anyone else, would any of you be disappointed if they made Rainbow Dashes seuality canon?

distracted_rainbow_dash_by_sakatagintoki

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

I don't think Hasbro is brave enough to cover homosexuality on the show; can you imagine the backlash? It would be a catastrophe.    

Personally, however, I wouldn't mind if they revealed Rainbow to be a lesbian or created a new character that was gay. I just don't think it will ever happen.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think Hasbro is brave enough to cover homosexuality on the show; can you imagine the backlash? It would be a catastrophe.    

Personally, however, I wouldn't mind if they revealed Rainbow to be a lesbian or created a new character that was gay. I just don't think it will ever happen.

I think your right but the Simpsons did it in one episode, although it was not one of main cast and that is not G raided.  

People read into it because of the established symbolism I guess, but I don't think Rainbow is gay or intended to be. Pretty sure that's word of god anyway.

• Brohoof 1

So when most people start watching the show and they see Rainbow Dash act like a tomboy and her rainbow colors they at first assume that she is gay/lesbian.

I have never once thought this.

I don't know why it would be one way or the other, but Rainbowdash has just... [for lack of a better word] "seemed" completely heterosexual to me.

(edited)

I have never once thought this.

I don't know why it would be one way or the other, but Rainbowdash has just... [for lack of a better word] "seemed" completely heterosexual to me.

I know a few people that thought this and I have meet more then one lesbian that acts like RD (not to say that all girls that act that way are lesbians)

also you could describe RD as: rainbow colored tomboy with short hair. put that into google and tell me that you don't get anything lesbian related  

spoiler, the 4 hit has the world lesbian in the title.

Edited by SolidTwilight

(edited)

In what children's show has a character's sexuality been openly admitted?   Even if there was one or two, it's clear that many shows are not going to touch the topic of sexuality in kids shows because it's considered too difficult of a topic to insert.   It occurs in shows that are more geared towards adults or young adolescents, because there it becomes more acceptable to have said characters appear.  

Yeah, yeah, many people have been associating tomboyish personality + rainbow colours to mean lesbian/gay.  It's practically becoming a stereotype at this point.  The show is never going to address sexuality ever.  Heck, I don't think it's ever going to move beyond the puppy love romance syndrome either (I don't expect the show to tackle romance beyond that).

Edited by pony.colin

So when some people start watching the show and they see Rainbow Dash act like a tomboy and her rainbow colors they at first assume that she is gay/lesbian. But if you see all the episodes you will see that there is really zero evidence her sexuality one way or the other and I for one really like that. I think it would hurt the show if they made it one way or the other and it really does not need to be in there anyway. I like that RD can love who ever she wants and I don't think the show needs to put limits on who that SSP could be. also I don't think the show needs that kind of drama (it is a kids show after all). one of the things I like about RD is that she can just be her self with out any of the others on the show bring up any love drama. I think that there is lots of other shows for that and one of the things I like about MLP is that I can enjoy a show with a mostly female cast with out thinking about sex at any point.

what about anyone else, would any of you be disappointed if they made Rainbow Dashes seuality canon?

For starters, not everyone assumed that.

As for whether or not RD is gay, it's possible, but I doubt it.  Horses have been recorded as engaging in homosexual acts; however, the ones that I've heard of are among males that are displaying dominance, sort of like prison.  (I know that lions will do that sometimes, too).

RD's color scheme does not make her gay.  That's like saying President Obama is a thief because he's part black; it's not accurate, and it's not nice.  Also, just because a female is a tomboy, it doesn't mean that she's gay.  Most of the lesbians that I know (aside form the ones that look/dress like men) are very feminine, and EVERY tomboy I've ever known (including two of my sisters) are very straight.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It would never happen, but I personally would like Princess Twilight Sparkle to be either lesbian or bisexual. She does adore Princess Celestia, after all. My personal headcannon has them some day becoming a couple. Rarity would go wild for the chance to  design gowns for a wedding between princesses!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I always thought she was heterosexual. I understand that some people thinks she looks like a "stereotypical" lesbian, but I don't think that's right to assume that just because she's tomboyish and has rainbow hair that she's a lesbian. Honestly, if Hasbro DID make her a lesbian, many people would be upset because OF COURSE the stereotypical pony is the lesbian. Many parents and watchers (who don't think she's a lesbian) would get upset. I would be. I don't care if Hasbro made a lesbian pony, but WHY the one with the rainbow hair and boyish attitude?

• Brohoof 2

I would rather not have their sexualities brought up. As it is in essence a children's show. Outside of her maybe having a school yard crush, or fan girling over a girl or boy I would not move further than that. To much money at stake, to huge of a shitstorm, and not enough gain to make it worth while to Hasbro.

• Brohoof 4

For starters, not everyone assumed that.

As for whether or not RD is gay, it's possible, but I doubt it.  Horses have been recorded as engaging in homosexual acts; however, the ones that I've heard of are among males that are displaying dominance, sort of like prison.  (I know that lions will do that sometimes, too).

RD's color scheme does not make her gay.  That's like saying President Obama is a thief because he's part black; it's not accurate, and it's not nice.  Also, just because a female is a tomboy, it doesn't mean that she's gay.  Most of the lesbians that I know (aside form the ones that look/dress like men) are very feminine, and EVERY tomboy I've ever known (including two of my sisters) are very straight.

keep in mind that I am talking about outsiders, non bronys when I say this. The great thing about MLP and bronys is that just about all stereotypes do not a ply.

It would never happen, but I personally would like Princess Twilight Sparkle to be either lesbian or bisexual. She does adore Princess Celestia, after all. My personal headcannon has them some day becoming a couple. Rarity would go wild for the chance to  design gowns for a wedding between princesses!

I used to think that about Twilight before she became a princess, however, it might still be possible.  (Or increase the probability)!  I could see that thing about Rarity being true, if it were to happen.

Wait, ...who would officiate?  ...Luna, maybe?

In what children's show has a character's sexuality been openly admitted?   Even if there was one or two, it's clear that many shows are not going to touch the topic of sexuality in kids shows because it's considered too difficult of a topic to insert.   It occurs in shows that are more geared towards adults or young adolescents, because there it becomes more acceptable to have said characters appear.  

I think it would be great for this show, or other kids' show to have a couple gay characters people can take seriously(I remember Sailor Moon having a lesbian couple that was handled very well). 

That said, Rainbow Dash shouldn't be it, as it would come off as a shallow to a lot of people. I'd much rather they have a new character or us a different character(one who hasn't had their sexuality revealed)

That is of course if the writers actually wants to include romance and sexuality, which I highly doubt

I would rather not have their sexualities brought up. As it is in essence a children's show. Outside of her maybe having a school yard crush, or fan girling over a girl or boy I would not move further than that. To much money at stake, to huge of a shitstorm, and not enough gain to make it worth while to Hasbro.

I don't even want to see a school yard crush, but that might be going a bit extreme.

I honestly thought RD was a BOY for most of my first run through the series. (until about halfway into season 3 I realized she was a girl)

Due to this, I cringe at every time I see a RD/Soarin ship, but I don like ships in general. I also have a bad habit of calling her "him" or "he". drives my friends mad.

if they made her openly gay? I don't know... while it would be nice to see an openly gay character, RD just does not seem to be the type of pony who would do that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

keep in mind that I am talking about outsiders, non bronys when I say this. The great thing about MLP and bronys is that just about all stereotypes do not a ply.

As am I.  My ex isn't a brony, and she just noted the complete change in personality from the G3 version.  The idea of RD being gay didn't dawn on her until she met some bronies; she didn't get it, and she's a member of the LGBQ (or whatever it is) community.  I've also had family members watch the show, and asked me later why I said that many fans think she's gay.  I believe that many of those that believe she's gay do so because they WANT a gay pony or they WANT an extra reason to hate the show.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

It would seem that rainbows and a tomboyish personality signify that kind of sexuality...

But as Sigmund Freud would say, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Seriously, why can't we in this society simply have rainbows and an awesome personality without insinuating something??

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So what's the deal with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? Two female ponies obsessed over the blank flanks of other female ponies while flaunting their cutie mark flanks. That kind of bullying translated in real world terms, is sexual harassment. I'm cool with it.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

So what's the deal with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? Two female ponies obsessed over the blank flanks of other female ponies. Their bullying in real world terms, is sexual harassment.

I don't see how thats sexual harassment? it would be like making fun of someone because they have not lost all there baby teeth yet.

(edited)

There's no indication of any character's sexuality. It's not relevant.

Just because a character acts a certain way doesn't mean anything. Until one of the characters says anything about their sexuality it will remain ambiguous, the way it should be.

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

There's no indication of any character's sexuality. It's not relevant.

Just because a character acts a certain way doesn't mean anything. Until one of the characters says anything about their sexuality it will remain ambiguous, the way it should be.

I think your missing some stuff there.

Twilight_and_Flash_eyes_meet_EG.png

Rarity_and_Trenderhoof_at_train_station_

Edited by SolidTwilight