Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Are Your Top 5 Favorite MLP Fanfictions?

GreyScholar

(edited)

As the title of the thread suggests, I'm curious to see what are some of the favorite fanfictions members of MLP Forums have read and enjoyed. These 5 fanfictions do not need to be in any particular order, but if you so wish you can have it be from greatest to least.

These fanfiction can be of any genre, but I will ask that no clop or especially 'graphic' fanfiction are posted, as I am sure per the site rules. Apart from that, have at it.
-------------------

I will start:
1. Past Sins by Penstroke (Very long, yet very impressive. The only fanfiction with an alicorn oc that I have, as of yet, truly and fully enjoyed/embraced. So much so that Nyx is as much as canon in my own personal fanon).
2. Fallout: Equestria by Kkat (a very impressive, if also very long story that got me interested into the Fallout games)
3. The Vinyl Scratch Tapes by Corey W Williams (My favorite characterisation and iteration of these two characters)
4. The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds by RK_Striker_JK_5 (One of th best mutli-crossover.fabfictions I have read).
5. Biblical Monsters by Horse Voice

A wonderfully thought provoking and emotional fanfiction that follow the story of a human who had the opportunity to meet a pony, more particularly Princess Twilight Sparkle, as she has cast a spell that took her too the human world. It shows a very good reason why it is a good thing Equestria is not real, and that if we take the time to ponder the characters of the show, they should not be allowed into our world as the reactions of much if not most of the world is unlikely to be positive. Our world is too dark and dangerous a place..

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

1. The Immortal Game by Aethestic B. Holy shit, this is like if you take Fallout Equestria, the canon series, the Elder Scrolls, and Supernatural and jam it all into one fanfiction. It. Is. Glorious.

Hard Reset by Eakin. It's a Groundhog Day fanfiction, and since I love the hell out of Mystery Spot, it's kind of a given I'd love this. Pretty much Twilight is facing the changeling invasion and dies multiple times trying to stop it. And as in 'multiple times' I mean probably over a few thousand. It's funny sometimes, but does have massive mood whiplashes.

Harmony Theory by Sharaloth. I absolutely adore this WiP story, it's a story told from Rainbow Dash's perspective as she goes to sleep and then waked up 600 years in the future. Amazing author, amazing OC's, and just overall awesomeness.

Hail to the King by Qwapdo. A human in the afterlife gets thrown into Equestria, except he's in King Sombra's body. Of course, he has no idea who he is or what the hell is going on, so he just casually strolls into the Crystal Empire. Hilarity ensues.

TWILIGHT SPARKLE FIXES EVERYTHING by Between Lines. The entire story is written in caps and is GLORIOUS UPON GLORIOUS. I LOVE ITTT.

In no certain order

The Silent Ponyville Chronicles(the only problem is that the third and final main story had a downer ending that was pretty bad and even the writer admitted he wasn't to happy with it)

Creeping Darkness(A really good Alan Wake Crossover, it manages to strike to a good balance between the darker tone of the game, and the brighter tone of the show so neither work makes the other feel out of place, I'd compare it to one of the darker Disney movies)

Princesses Never Potty(unfortunately on hiatus)

Whatever that Doctor Who crossover with the witches was.

Fallout Equestria from what I've read so far.  

(edited)

The Silent Ponyville Chronicle

I have recently been reading this series and I will admit that it is impressive... yet I was dissatisfied with the ending of Silent Ponyville 2.

So much so I have considered wriing my own fanfiction where Lance Strongshy is made to fully see the reality of his actions and understand how much of a monster he is... of how he messed up big time with his daughter.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have recently been reading this series and I will admit that it is impressive... yet I was dissatisfied with the ending of Silent Ponyville 2.

So much so I have considered wriing my own fanfiction where Lance Strongshy is made to fully see the reality of his actions and understand how much of a monster he is... of how he messed up big time with his daughter.

That's a thing someone wrote already, it's called Reunion and Jake even considers it cannon. I never finished it because it long as hell and sometimes a little tedious because of how detailed it tends to be over boring things like walking around or opening doors.  

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)

That's a thing someone wrote already, it's called Reunion and Jake even considers it cannon. I never finished it because it long as hell and sometimes a little tedious because of how detailed it tends to be over boring things like walking around or opening doors.

Yes, I've heard of this fanfiction and I plan on reading it.

Yet from what I've read about it, Lance is played in a more sympathetic light then what I feel he deserves. Perhaps though, it will cover what I want to see.

(edited)

1. University Days by DawnFade

2. Pony May Cry: Brotherhood is Magic by JoJo Madara

3. Golden Armour 1 & 2 by Comet Burst

4. The Time Loop Trilogy by Eakin

5. Doctor Whooves The Series by Loyal2Luna

Edited by Sugar & Sins

Yes, I've heard of this fanfiction and I plan on reading it.

Yet from what I've read about it, Lance is played in a more sympathetic light then what I feel he deserves. Perhaps though, it will cover what I want to see.

He gets torn up pretty bad. I personally kind of like the concept of humanizing a monster because it reminds us that monstrous people are still humans like us and we could fall just as easy. 

(edited)

The Light in the Darkness

By zaptiftun

Where as Cupcakes is straight up Nightmare Fuel, this story is its complete antithesis. It was one of the first MLP fics I read over three years ago and it still holds up as one of the most heartwarming things this fandom has ever produced.

Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation

By Loyal2Luna

I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy because of this fic, I'm not even kidding. Also has a sequel "Shades of Twilight" and, according to author, plans to be made into a trilogy. 

The Immortal Game

By Aethestic B

This is the story that changed my opinion of Grimdark. I wouldn't have eventually read Fallout Equestria if not for this. 

Crisis Equestria

By GanonFLCL

Recently returned after over a year long hiatus, here the Mane 6 try to return home after a magic accident stands them in a parallel version of Equestria. Standing in their way is a group of twisted clones that are just as deep and detailed as Twilight and the others. Also, the Mane 6 eventually get superpowers and it's totally awesome. 

Yours Truly

By Thanqol

Written as a series of letters, it consists mostly of TwiJack with shades of FlutterDash shipping. Bring tissues, because you will cry. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

PosionClaw gets a brohoof because of Yours Truly. I don't read fanfiction often, but I'm glad I read this one. About 1-2 years ago, my friend on another site suggested that I read it (she knew I was a big Applejack fan, and also a Twijack fan). It was really sad; I do not think I've ever read anything as emotional.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• Brohoof 1

1: Past Sins, as well it was my first fic, by Pen Stroke

2: Fanfic is Crapsack by Reality Check, it is amazing; insane, but amazing!

3: Mort Takes a Holiday by AnonymousMatierials. The ultimate task for the Mane Six, hosting Death

4: Envy and Arrogance by Mindblower, amazing series and story with the sequel Guilt and Hate which is also amazing

5: It is a trilogy consisting of Twilight Struggle, Twilight Fall, and Twilight War by Lapis-Lazuli and Inky J, brilliant story and series 

My own top five would be as follows:

1. A New Hero by AlexLoneWolf: Oh god, I just adore this story with all my heart and I don't care if anyone else bashes it for being just a remake of the MLP: FIM series but with an OC that some others complain as a "Gary Stu". The main character in this fic is NOT a Gary Stu but a very complex, relatable and enjoyable character in the story being something out of this world as the story goes on besides becoming an alicorn at one point but. The fanfic fixed a number of problems that are found in the original episodes or twists them to make them work in literature when TV couldn't and the addition of a seventh pony who is a new Element of Harmony without it's physical embodiment is an interesting concept to play with.

2. The Lost Element by XD-385: This story does not only deliver in spades the feels, it also actually brings up a certain villain and tragic character form the beginning of the entire series and redeems that very pony for her previous actions towards Celestia and Luna and the seventh element being the quality trait of imperfect humans really makes the story a great read and the comedy in it is really outrageous and can really play with your funny bones. This also gave me a lot of feels for Mitta, a pony from Sunny Town from an MLP Creepypasta reading, who is just only a victim of a curse put upon herself and her "fellow" ponies for what happened to a little filly named Ruby.

3. The Lost Prince Returns by Robobrony: The idea of having an extra family member into the Canterlot Royal Family is something that has been on my mind for a while since I started reading it ever since it came out and I have to say, it is pretty cool to see a new and surprisingly unknown member of the royal family and one so young having to live through a nightmare without any sort of life all by means of Discord 1000 years ago and to see Celestia, Luna and Dawn's parents, the king and queen of Equestria and to see a bit of a relationship between the prince and Blueblood with his disdain towards the princesses' little brother for being a member of the Canterlot Royal Family by blood making the young prince Blueblood's superior and uncle until he finally accepts him and admits that he is wrong to treat his uncle in such a horrid way and the young prince is shown to look past those that are shown as hostile and who are different to ponies in the recent chapter.

4. The Seventh Element by adoptptez: This is a really gripping fanfic that I read since it delves into an unknown species of ponies that once roamed around Equestria years ago before their extinction from a great evil that gripped them until known as thestrals until one thestral, Acrylic, decides to head into Equestria from her home in the Everfree Forest to try and reconnect the thestrals with the ponies. I love this fanfic since Acrylic really went through some of the major life issues that we all went though when she was forced to reveal her true self and with her own friends and the princesses making perhaps the greatest mistake of their lives ever by trying to change her into a pony but not realizing that the enemy they first thought didn't actually existed and that left me sour towards the Mane 6 and the Princesses for a while and I don't know if I can forgive them after what they've put her through after they took her wings away.

5. Princess Trixie Sparkle by magpiepony: This mini-musical series fanfic is a great read since it deals with what could've taken place right after Magical Mystery Cure in season 3 if said season would've continued on into the regular 26 episode limit and the 13 episode limit for that season really left me disappointed since I expected a bit more from it and to have more into it but now with this fic and with Trixie dealing with Twilight's princess status and her cruel ways of getting the success she gained only for it to ultimately backfire on her in the end with a new villain who's actually a betrayed member of the Canterlot Royal Family by Celestia and we get to see some remote guilt within her as she kept their missing family member's existence hidden from her own sister. I can't even begin to describe the betrayal Luna felt towards her own sister, even when she didn't listen to her the first time about the ideal of being an immortal alicorn can also have a huge drawback along with a blessing.

(edited)

Actually I would like to take back my 5th choice, as I had forgotten one of the most impressive fanfictions I have read (more listened to ObabScribbler read before looking into myself).

Biblical Monsters by Horse Voice

A wonderfully thought provoking and emotional fanfiction that follow the story of a human who had the opportunity to meet a pony, more particularly Princess Twilight Sparkle, as she has cast a spell that took her too the human world. It shows very good reason why it is a good thing Equestria is not real, and that if we take the time to ponder the characters of the show should not be allowed into our world as the reactions of much if not most of the world is unlikely to be positive. Our world is too dark and dangerous a place...

Also the fanfiction is not anti-Christianity, though the title might suggest it is. This is partly why I enjoyed it so much... though this may be merely how I choose to interpreted the fanfiction,

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please, listen to this fanfiction by ObabScribbler and hear for yourself why this fanfiction is so wonderful:

Chapter One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-G0r26w_Ws

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

• Brohoof 1

We Hath Joined Together

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/156273/what-hath-joined-together (read The Order first, they should really be the same fanfic)

A brilliant look at a hypothetical caste system that looks at several different views on the mater.  And it does what Equestria Girls failed at and makes Flash Sentry into a great character.  Not just tolerable, but GREAT.

We Regret To Inform You

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/169295/we-regret-to-inform-you

A deep and heartfelt look at how characters deal with death.

On The Rebound

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/156222/on-the-rebound

A wonderful love story involving a couple that doesn't get a lot of attention.

Fuffle Puff Tales

https://www.youtube.com/user/FluffyMixer

Does this count?  It should, because it's hilarious.

Fallout: Equestria

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/119190/fallout-equestria

Obvious, I know, but it really is that good.

(edited)

We Hath Joined Together

A brilliant look at a hypothetical caste system that looks at several different views on the mater. And it does what Equestria Girls failed at and makes Flash Sentry into a great character. Not just tolerable, but GREAT.

I've heard of this fanfiction and I have considered reading it... but I've had my reservations, as I disagree with the idea of their even being a caste system in place within Equestria or that any one race is superior or better than the other (putting aside alicorns). Edited by EquestrianScholar

PosionClaw gets a brohoof because of Yours Truly. I don't read fanfiction often, but I'm glad I read this one. About 1-2 years ago, my friend on another site suggested that I read it (she knew I was a big Applejack fan, and also a Twijack fan). It was really sad; I do not think I've ever read anything as emotional.

Was it me? Because I recall saying it's one of my favorite and one of the most emotional fics I've ever read. I recommended it to every person in earshot. :D 

• Brohoof 1

I've heard of this fanfiction and I have considered reading it... but I've had my reservations, as I disagree with the idea of their even being a caste system in place within Equestria or that any one race is superior or better than the other (putting aside alicorns).

Well, the reason for the caste system from a literary standpoint is to give commentary on how harmful such a thing is.  Not just to Flash, who has to hide his feelings for Twilight because romance between them would be forbidden, but to everypony.  Even Celestia herself is hurt by this caste system, but believes it must be maintained because it was the only solution to the tribal fighting of the old days they had.  She sees it as the best bad choice she can make.  This is what really makes the fanfic shine.  It would be easy to paint Celestia as a villain in this alternate reality, but she is honestly trying to do what she thinks is best for everypony.

I just can't say enough good things about this fanfic.

(edited)

Well, the reason for the caste system from a literary standpoint is to give commentary on how harmful such a thing is. Not just to Flash, who has to hide his feelings for Twilight because romance between them would be forbidden, but to everypony. Even Celestia herself is hurt by this caste system, but believes it must be maintained because it was the only solution to the tribal fighting of the old days they had. She sees it as the best bad choice she can make. This is what really makes the fanfic shine. It would be easy to paint Celestia as a villain in this alternate reality, but she is honestly trying to do what she thinks is best for everypony.

I just can't say enough good things about this fanfic.

Hmm yet from the comments it would seem a resistance would or has been formed, but if you say Celestia is not actually cast as the villian perhaps I will put my fears aside.

((Tyrant Celesta and the Solar Empire vs Lunar Republic have made me wish to avoid any story where Clestia seems at first glance, or blatantly so, be the villian.

I mean when you have a story where there is a caste system that ponies dislike if not outright hate and a ruler that has enforced this system for a 1000 years... it is understandable why I would fear Celestia being made the villian.

Hmm yet from the comments it would seem a resistance would or has been formed, but if you say Celestia is not actually cast as the villian perhaps I will put my fears aside.

((Tyrant Celesta and the Solar Empire vs Lunar Republic have made me wish to avoid any story where Clestia seems at first glance, or blatantly so, be the villian.

I mean when you have a story where there is a caste system that ponies dislike if not outright hate and a ruler that has enforced this system for a 1000 years... it is understandable why I would fear Celestia being made the villian.

Celestia is the reluctant supporter of the Order.  She sees the pain it has caused others and regrets it, but sees no better solution.  There are even hints that she herself might have given up on love because hers went against the Order.  Not a spoiler, just speculation on my part.

There is a resistance, but they are hoping to convince Celestia to overturn the Order peacefully.  Not an easy task, since she's supported it for 1,000+ years.  I've never been this excited to read a political debate.

Unfortunately, I don't read fanfic much...

With that said...

Turnabout Storm

Why Am I Crying (Where's the new part?!)

Scootaloo Dies A Bunch

Genesis 

Letters From A Friend At The End of The World