Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite In-Game Collectibles

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So, something that may not be thought of often nowadays, are things that we as a player collect during our journey through a particular game. Now, when you hear collectible, you usually think hidden things that are difficult to find and are a prime reason for the birth of walkthroughs. However, for this, I am counting ALL things that we nab in games. Whether it be the collectibles I just mentioned, the coins in Mario, the Materia in FF7, the gems in Aladdin, this could be anything like that.

So with that established, what are some of YOUR favorite things to get in video games? Me personally, one of my favorite has always been the bananas from Donkey Kong country. Perhaps it is just me being a primate but there was always something deeply satisfying to me about collecting those things and all they did was give you free lives. No points, no high scores, just lives. Yet it still makes me want to grab them when playing through that marvelous game.

What about you, dear reader?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can remember back when I played it, after I beat Assassin's Creed II I spent hours upon hours looking for those feathers. Something I neglected to mention when I first posted this very post is that I'm also trying to collect Team Fortress 2's many, many hats. Right now my goal is the Team Captain, which is the hat Twilight is wearing in my avatar.

And although I don't know if this counts, I have a slight addiction to Steam trading cards...

Edited by Daring

Does nabbing every fork I come across in an Elder Scrolls game count? Yes I enjoy causing chaos through all the land.

If not, then I guess I'd have to go with the berserker med kits in Doom. Loved single punch splattering Imps.

The DKC bananas do hold a special place in my memory as well though.

Why, the art gallery artwork, of course. The fine arts are the only worthwhile collectible in game. All else is trite in comparison.

I have to get all of the Cardboard Boxes in every Metal Gear game :P

But realistically, it'd have to be the cards from No More Heroes and Trophies in Super Smash Bros

In Morrowind, I would collect skooma and moon sugar. In Oblivion, I usually ended up with some quantity of cheese wheels and sweetrolls in my inventory.

I also made it a habit to collect all the little blue health powerup vials in Doom. You never know when you could use an extra 4% health.

(edited)

My favorite video game collectible was mentioned in the original post: coins from Super Mario games.  It just...  I can't explain it really.  It feels good lol.  And I always get every last coin on the treasure ship in Super Mario Bros. 3.  Not that I need the lives or anything (Goomba generator FTW!).  Just like nabbing them, seeing them instantly vanish and go into a magical pocket somewhere, and hearing the sound that accompanies it.  And it's doubly satisfying in Mario games where you've got to hurry and nab the red coins; you get a TREAT immediately after. xD  I believe the red ones debuted in Super Mario 64; those were some coins with real purpose.

Edited by PegaMister

I love collecting lums in Rayman. No idea why, it's just...there's something satisfying about it. Especially when it's a whole row of them! That's so fun. xD

Starbits in Super Mario Galaxy are also super fun to collect.

Resident Evil 4 had a great shooting gallery minigame where you could collect bottle caps with character models/soundchips on them:

maxresdefault.jpg

Besides that though, weapons/armor in Monster Hunter, stars in Mario games, and Pokémon in Pokémon all feel satisfying to collect for me, among many, many other things in other games. :D

I can't even think of one game where you can't collect things in, lol :P

for me it's the guns in Dead Space 1 and 2. It just feels so good to find a schematic for a gun and buy it, than rip the Necromorphs to shreds. Other than the guns, finding the Peng treasure sure is awesome. Especially when it doesn't even give you that many credits, like 5000 or something. 

Another just came to my mind, this might happen a lot at a moments notice but how about the figurines in Smash Bros. Melee? Always loved those. I loved how you got something cool like that just for playing the game over time. Plus the game is awesome so there is that. It's like nostalgia explosion in a nostalgia explosion. That game is the friggin' Micheal Bay of nostalgia.

• Brohoof 1