Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am rather confused (Spoiler warning)

Finesthour

Oh, I see, anyway, all these soccer mums are overreacting, next they'll say it's corrupting their children with unnaturally coloured horses, and that Rarity is a bad example for kids to follow because she is so concerned with her appearance.

Oh well, at least I hope that she gets a speaking role in Season 3, or at least makes a quite noticeable appearance (like in Feeling Pinkie Keen or Hearth's Warming Eve).

Actually i was one of the people who complained about it.

its because of the fact that Derpy hooves has lazy eyes and her name is accounted with stupidity, so when her name is called on the show every kid heard it, that would put lazy eyes with stupidity which annoys me because i was constantly teased though my childhood for my eyes and i would like to see that happen to anyone.

also there have never been any complaints about rarity that only been from bronies

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

Actually i was one of the people who complained about it.

its because of the fact that Derpy hooves has lazy eyes and her name is accounted with stupidity, so when her name is called on the show every kid heard it, that would put lazy eyes with stupidity which annoys me because i was constantly teased though my childhood for my eyes and i would like to see that happen to anyone.

also there have never been any complaints about rarity that only been from bronies

I see, so it wasn't just because she was allegedly offensive to the disabled (WHICH SHE IS NOT!) but Lazy eyes were being associated with clumsiness, but almost all of the complaints were about her being offensive to disabled people, not about her having a lazy eye, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) wouldn't her lazy eye mean she has only one good eye, therefore giving her no depth perception, thus making her quite clumsy, (hence the name "Derpy")

P.S. I apologise in advance for any offence I may have inadvertently caused to you or any other people with lazy eyes who have viewed or are in the process of viewing this post.

I see, so it wasn't just because she was allegedly offensive to the disabled (WHICH SHE IS NOT!) but Lazy eyes were being associated with clumsiness, but almost all of the complaints were about her being offensive to disabled people, not about her having a lazy eye, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) wouldn't her lazy eye mean she has only one good eye, therefore giving her no depth perception, thus making her quite clumsy, (hence the name "Derpy")

P.S. I apologise in advance for any offence I may have inadvertently caused to you or any other people with lazy eyes who have viewed or are in the process of viewing this post.

That doesn't mean that she wasn't offensive to differently-abled people. It just means that she happened to offend two different groups.

That doesn't mean that she wasn't offensive to differently-abled people. It just means that she happened to offend two different groups.

I didn't mean to say that because she was offensive to lazy-eyed people meant that she wasn't offensive to disabled people, I was just saying (as a secondary point to my post) that Derpy is not Offensive to the disabled, no part of her name means disabled, and no part of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the Hub or Hasbro implies or expressly states that she is disabled.

as a derpy fan, I like non derp eyes, in fan art. Derp eyes should be kept, because the fandom wold revolt otherwise. She went thirty episodes before any parent decided to skeak, so that couldn't have been the issue

I didn't mean to say that because she was offensive to lazy-eyed people meant that she wasn't offensive to disabled people, I was just saying (as a secondary point to my post) that Derpy is not Offensive to the disabled, no part of her name means disabled, and no part of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the Hub or Hasbro implies or expressly states that she is disabled.

I'd have to disagree with you, walale. :)

While the term "derp" may have once originally been benign and related to slapstick comedy, the internet sub-culture has turned it into a slur to be used against the differently-abled. Derpy/Ditzy's original voice was certainly similar to the stereotypical portrayal of those with mental illnesses or mental handicaps, and her actions were treated as annoying to the other ponies. In my opinion, her character was not meant to be offensive, but rather a shout-out to the older fanbase. However, that does not excuse the way she was portrayed.

While the term "derp" may have once originally been benign and related to slapstick comedy, the internet sub-culture has turned it into a slur to be used against the differently-abled. Derpy/Ditzy's original voice was certainly similar to the stereotypical portrayal of those with mental illnesses or mental handicaps, and her actions were treated as annoying to the other ponies. In my opinion, her character was not meant to be offensive, but rather a shout-out to the older fanbase. However, that does not excuse the way she was portrayed.

The definition of Derp according to wikitionary: (slang)Draws attention to an act of foolishness or stupidity.

None of the definitions on the Urban dictionary say anything about disabled people, and according to the latest editions of the Oxford English and Oxford American English dictionaries, Neither Derp, nor Derpy, exists.

Case Closed.

The definition of Derp according to wikitionary: (slang)Draws attention to an act of foolishness or stupidity.

None of the definitions on the Urban dictionary say anything about disabled people, and according to the latest editions of the Oxford English and Oxford American English dictionaries, Neither Derp, nor Derpy, exists.

Case Closed.

I'd like this to be the last post of our little discussion (mainly because I have to get to class soon), but I'd just like to say that while dictionaries may not classify the term "derp" as a slur for the differently-abled, all you have to do is to image-search "derp" to get several pictures of either those with crossed eyes or those with obvious mental-handicaps.

nope there was no connection to the complain and the mentally challenged that whole Derpy has mental issues was made by bronies

also people who have lazy eye can be some what clumsy because of the depth perception with you eye looking two ways but one eye become stronger then to other so the stronger eye has more focus a time, my eye was retarded meaning it would be normal at most time then it would drift off which i likely what derpy has too so yeah she would be clumsy but not that clumsy.

the main issue i had was the use of the name 'Derpy' and Rainbowdashe's attitude toward her.

also it was the concern that kid who have lazy eye would be called derp (which still mean stupid)

Derpy's voice was part of a mistake on the voice actors part because he though Derpy was a boy and voiced her that way it was not attack on the mentally challenged and most people who have lazy eye find that offensive that bronie try to make that point as fact
  • Brohoof 2