Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am rather confused (Spoiler warning)

Finesthour

I would have screenshots, and I'll get them later, but I found something in the new episode that is greatly confusing me.

So we all know the derpy incident, and how they changed her voice, and blah blah blah.

But since they changed her, you would think they would get rid of her completely, or fix her derp eyes.

But in the new episode, derpy has her signature derp eyes throughout the entire episode.

I am very confused.

Why would they change her, but then consist on the derp eyes?

Well, the eyes have stayed the same for a few episodes so . .

Plus, most of the episode art is made in advance so they could have made this episode before the whole controversy over Derpy and then just not taken the time to erase the eyes due to the fact that alone the eyes won't make anxious, angry parents freak out.

Not entirely sure however, those are just my two cents.

Well, the eyes have stayed the same for a few episodes so . .

Plus, most of the episode art is made in advance so they could have made this episode before the whole controversy over Derpy and then just not taken the time to erase the eyes due to the fact that alone the eyes won't make anxious, angry parents freak out.

Not entirely sure however, those are just my two cents.

Ah, but you seem to not think about what you have written.

They fixed an episode a week after it aired. So they could fix any episode in any amount of time they see fit.

I think it's a sort of compromise to the watchers.

I think the things about Derpy that caused the most controversy were her behavior and her voice. In every episode after 'The Last Roundup', Derpy's appeared in some sort of way, but no one really acknowledges her, and she has no dialogue. Maybe the show's way of keeping Derpy and "censoring" her at the same time?

They fixed an episode a week after it aired. So they could fix any episode in any amount of time they see fit.

Uh. . I said that they won't fix the eyes due to the fact that the eyes alone were not what sparked the Derpy controversy. It was the voice that mainly started it off so just having the eyes wouldn't really affect/anger anyone.

EDIT: Not gonna continue this through posts but it wasn't bronies that raged if I remember, it was the more parental side. When the voice was aired, people went to war over that. There was never any real issue with Derpy as a character until an episode was aired stating her name/ voice so the eyes were never a massive issue.

Edited by Gingerpotato
  • Brohoof 1

That was mainly because people(little girl's mothers and Anti-Bronies) bitched to Hasbro about the name Derpy and her voice. Chances are they wouldn't even notice her background appearances.

Edited by Cynic

Just curious, for those that still have iTunes, is the edited version of The Last Roundup the least popular episode of all time? Or does it still manage to sell decently despite how much Bronies hate the censorship?

Some bronies really thought she was gone forever, she's still gonna be there, she might not ever talk again, but she's gonna stay, unless the soccer moms try to get rid of her again

Just curious, for those that still have iTunes, is the edited version of The Last Roundup the least popular episode of all time? Or does it still manage to sell decently despite how much Bronies hate the censorship?

I just checked in iTunes. The Last Roundup is 7th from last in the episode listing.

The only episodes that rank worse than it are these:

• Sweet and Elite
  • Family Appreciation Day
  • Read it and Weep
  • The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
  • Secret of My Excess
  • The Mysterious Mare Do Well
Of course, MMDW is in last place. Given that The Last Roundup is not a terrible episode, I would have expected it to rank higher if not for the Derpy controversy. You would certainly think that it would rank higher than at least a few of the season 1 episodes, since they have been out for longer.
  • Brohoof 1

I just checked in iTunes. The Last Roundup is 7th from last in the episode listing.

The only episodes that rank worse than it are these:

• Sweet and Elite
  • Family Appreciation Day
  • Read it and Weep
  • The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
  • Secret of My Excess
  • The Mysterious Mare Do Well
Of course, MMDW is in last place. Given that The Last Roundup is not a terrible episode, I would have expected it to rank higher if not for the Derpy controversy. You would certainly think that it would rank higher than at least a few of the season 1 episodes, since they have been out for longer.

Sweet and Elite is my favorite episode and it is ranked low?!?!?!

The. Worst. Possible. Thing!!

Thanks for answering but now I am sorry I asked.

I think that since Derpy was such a big deal because she had a speaking role, and was talking with Rainbow Dash (A main character) But Derpy had her derped eyes for a few episodes now, and I guess she will just stay a BG character.

Clearly the writers are fans of Derpy and the dialogue was a nod to the people who took time to name a random background pony, due to the choice of eyes the animators are pro-derpy the actions show that the writers are pro-derpy and the voice shows that casting is pro-derpy the only people anti-derpy here are Hasbros PR team, I don't know about you but if I was working on a show and was told that my artistic choices didn't fit in with the message of the show that I create I would try to make as few changes as possible to the final artistic product while still keeping my bosses at Hasbro happy and that seems to be what they are doing with derpy.

Here is another thing I noticed, Bon Bon with wings! She is not a Pegasus! Hmmmmm..........

The cease and desist Hasbro got was only for The Last Roundup. They can derp her eyes and even make her talk in the same voice, as long as it's in another episode...though if more people complain, then they'll get another cease and desist, and maybe more.

But nobody's complained about the derping of her eyes since The Last Roundup, so hooray!

The cease and desist Hasbro got was only for The Last Roundup. They can derp her eyes and even make her talk in the same voice, as long as it's in another episode...though if more people complain, then they'll get another cease and desist, and maybe more.

But nobody's complained about the derping of her eyes since The Last Roundup, so hooray!

Not only was I overjoyed at seeing Derpy multiple times, but I was swelling with joy at the sight of Dr. Whooves!

Here is another thing I noticed, Bon Bon with wings! She is not a Pegasus! Hmmmmm..........

Only so many combinations of color and hair style are possible... Without the extreme continuum and amount of detail possible with faces IRL, eventually, among a population of millions, there will be ponies that look extremely similar, if not identical...

That's just part of the cartoon illustration. And the fact that we don't have as amazing facial recognition for cartoon ponies as humans. Humans are pretty specialized with humans :P

(Did you know researchers that spend years with a crow, can't tell it apart from any other even after all that time? There's actually a question on whether they can tell eachother apart...)

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

About Derpy, they probably felt they pleased the complainers with The Last Roundup being fixed. Nobody's saying "Derpy" in the show as in calling her by her name, to my recollection. So the people who just couldn't leave well enough alone, have nothing to be upset about anymore.

• 5 months later...

Are you saying that Hasbro received a Cease-and-Desist! What the hay, They didn't violate any copyrights or break the law, did they?

Are you saying that Hasbro received a Cease-and-Desist! What the hay, They didn't violate any copyrights or break the law, did they?

It sounds like Pumpkinbot used the wrong term to describe what happened. As far as we can tell, no such "cease and desist" order was ever issued from any court. They did it on their own, as a matter of public relations.

Also, Holy Necro, Batmare.

Edited by NLR Information Minister

it wasn't a cease and desist, just the complaints

the whole issue was rely with the name Derpy (which is another way to say stupid) and because of the fact she has lazy eyes child could likely get teased and called stupid for that and that's why the changes were made, as for the voice that was because the first voice actor though Derpy was a boy.

it wasn't a cease and desist, just the complaints

the whole issue was rely with the name Derpy (which is another way to say stupid) and because of the fact she has lazy eyes child could likely get teased and called stupid for that and that's why the changes were made, as for the voice that was because the first voice actor though Derpy was a boy.

Oh, I see, anyway, all these soccer mums are overreacting, next they'll say it's corrupting their children with unnaturally coloured horses, and that Rarity is a bad example for kids to follow because she is so concerned with her appearance.

About Derpy, they probably felt they pleased the complainers with The Last Roundup being fixed. Nobody's saying "Derpy" in the show as in calling her by her name, to my recollection. So the people who just couldn't leave well enough alone, have nothing to be upset about anymore.

Oh well, at least I hope that she gets a speaking role in Season 3, or at least makes a quite noticeable appearance (like in Feeling Pinkie Keen or Hearth's Warming Eve).

To put in my two bits, I felt that Derpy was inappropriately used on the show. What the older fanbase forgets is that children, as well as older fans, watch this show and they may not understand or get the same amount of enjoyment out of the references to fanon. My nieces in particular were rather confused by Derpy/Ditzy/Bubblecup's mannerisms and asked -- and I quote -- "Why are they mean to the dumb grey pony?".

Personally, I think that while having a character that could be seen as mentally-differing could be used to live up to the show's message of tolerance and friendship, but the way Derpy/Ditzy/Bubblecup was portrayed was rather offensive and uncalled for.

Anyways, that's enough about months old pony drama, don't you think? :lol: